AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th October, 2005, 11:54 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

No thermal paste

Some months ago I was browsing the net and read about some guy who was using this stuff instead of paste,

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su.../0055983000000

He said that he folded it over and over quiet a few times to get the thickness needed also think he said that he used cotton gloves aswell. He said that it dropped his temps by about 6c would this work?
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2005, 01:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Theoretically, it could work VERY well. Even the best thermal paste is still a rather poor heat conductor compared to metal. However, I would suspect that the more folds you make the higher the clamping pressure you need to be able to squeeze the air out and achieve a good thermal interface.

Ideally, if you could get the surface of the heatsink and the surface of the CPU in perfect contact with each other, you wouldn't need TIM at all. Since silver and gold leaf are so thin (on the order of 8 millions of an inch, from what I understand) It might be possible to carefully layer it onto the base of the HSF and then clamp it and have it make quite a nice thermal interface.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2005, 01:34 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

At the price I think I'll give it ago when I've finished my new water block in a few weeks.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 21st October, 2005, 01:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

yea please let us kno how it works
Old 21st October, 2005, 09:13 AM
Member/Contributer

At that price I think I'll give it a miss!

AOA Team fah
Old 21st October, 2005, 08:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Whoa, Sterling silver leaf! You would need to be very careful handling this stuf and also note that it is very reactive with most chemicals, especially chlorine which if i remember correctly, causes it to burst into flames! I may consider some of this when i get my upgrade in about january! It would be very suitable for the CPU and GPU but i am still planning on trying different materials to try and find the best thermal interface. Obviously, silver and copper are some of the best but i also want to try that other stuff, that liquid metal or whatever it was. One thing i've always wanted to know is why no one has ever tried using solder (joke btw)! It would have the best contact between CPU and heatsink as it would be directly connected to it.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)