AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 27th October, 2005, 12:57 AM

Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.

21 Decibals? You’re having a laugh!

I recently got hold of three of Thermaltake’s ‘Thunderblade’ fans. Reviews of them were few and far between, so I was reliant on the manufacturers info on the quality of the fans, along with Thermaltake’s reputation.
The first thing to mention is the manufacturers claims, as found on the site, and on the back of the box. As you’d expect, they vary with the size of the fan, but basically all you need to know is that according to Thermaltake, the 120mm fan will push an impressive 78 CFM at only 21 dBA, while the 80mm version will push a far less impressive, 27.8CFM, again, at 21 dBA.

Clearly the fans are aimed at the noise conscious user, like me, which is the main reason I took the plunge and ordered two 80mm fans, and one 120mm fan. They arrived a few days later, and I got a bit of a shock.

I took them out of their boxes, and I’ll admit they look the part. The build quality is very good, the cables are nice and long, and have been sleeved to keep them tidy, and the most impressive thing I noticed was that they had come with four very long screws, and a nut. It took a while before it dawned on me that they were included so that you simply had to thread them through the holes from the inside of your case, and then twist the nut on at the end until it was tight, with your fingers, and you’re done. No screwdriver required.

I wired the 120mm fan up first, on its own, to see whether or not it actually pushed a decent amount of air at just 21 decibels. I flicked the switch, and one word popped into my head. “Hairdryer”. “Hairdryer with pretty green LEDs”. I was shocked – the 21db advertised on the site and on the box was a blatant lie, I’m no sound expert but this single fan is far louder than the rest of my PC put together, and none of my parts are particularly quiet.

On the upside, the LEDs did give it a nice glow, and it was pushing a lot of air – probably around about the advertised figure of 78cfm. But this was at the expense of my eardrums, so I hastily unplugged it.

Next up were the two 80mm fans, I didn’t even bother mounting these in my case, as I had a bad feeling they would be no better. Well from one extreme to the other, these 80mm fans, also advertised as 21dBA were very quiet, and subsequently pushed a mediocre amount of air. I felt the amount of air being pushed by the cheap and cheerful fans 80mm fans I bought off Ebuyer for £1.47 a pop, and they were doing a much better job. I mounted them anyway, since they did look pretty cool, and I had to put my ear right up to them to hear them quietly whirring away.

And so, in conclusion, the 120mm fan is only really any use for the performance enthusiast who cant afford real cooling, and the 80mm fan is for the sound enthusiast who… cant afford real cooling.

I hope you enjoyed my review.

PS. I'll probably get some photos tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-blue.jpg   Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-blue-closeup.jpg   Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-80mm.jpg   Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-wiring.jpg   Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-120mmback.jpg  

Last edited by Chaz; 27th October, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2005, 03:42 AM

I was all ready to buy one of those 80mm fans tonight, with the inlcuded 90mm adaptor per "A2013 Silent 92mm Fan Kit - Thermaltake"

Now I have to reconsider.
PNY VERTO GeForce 6600 8x AGP 256MB DDR3
200 Gb Maxtor SATA
Antec Sonata II Case c/w 450W PS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
PS. I'll probably get some photos tomorrow.
Yes, please. Post some photos.
Old 27th October, 2005, 02:16 PM

More photos, and a video of the 120mm fan to show just how loud it is will be included shortly, once it has been uploaded to aoafiles.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-greenclose.jpg   Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-two-80mm.jpg  
Old 27th October, 2005, 02:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The video is available in AOAFiles here.
Old 27th October, 2005, 02:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You're up in lights, dude! www.aoaforums.com

Thanks for the review!
Old 27th October, 2005, 03:07 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

WOW that sucker is pretty loud!!
Thanks for the 411 and the review!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 27th October, 2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
You're up in lights, dude! www.aoaforums.com

Thanks for the review!
I'm honoured.
Old 27th October, 2005, 03:52 PM
AOA Staff

Very good work Chaz! Nice clear pics and the video is a nice touch.
Old 27th October, 2005, 04:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Yep the video is great. i have both the 80mm and the 120mm as well..i figure the noise level to be around 34db.
Old 27th October, 2005, 05:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Hey Chaz, at least you've got a nice avatar for yourself
Old 27th October, 2005, 05:42 PM

Yup.
Old 27th October, 2005, 08:03 PM

Cheers for the review Chaz, I'm always interested in making the computer quieter.

I might try the 80mm thermaltake. I'm currently using YS Tech 80mm and 92mm Silents, cheap, averagely quiet and the bearings seem to last well. Probably all start rattling on me now!
2x Seagate Cheetah U320, LSI 21320 controller, Netgear 801.11g, Tagan Easycon 580w.
Old 27th October, 2005, 08:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nicely done Chaz!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th October, 2005, 10:02 PM

I have yet to find an exception to the rule of Thermaltake = poopy. And I don't really want to waste any more money to continue proving that point.
Old 27th October, 2005, 10:14 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

One product...the Big Typhoon...
Old 28th October, 2005, 02:36 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

Great job chaz, wish I did that first..
I've had 3x 120mm thunderblades in my main rig since last december..lol
1 intake, 1 outtake, and one on my hyper48 with a 92mm to 120mm funnel.
they run full speed over 70cfm each, and I can barely hear them compared to my other rigs.
I measured my case with a decibel meter, was 36Db.
Thats quiet to me, considering I run 3 fans in my room all day, because my dad keeps the a/c off all the time, and has the heat on all winter.
btw chaz, flimsy cases make the fan seem louder.
No offense chaz, but that case looks like your basic run of the mill flims-0-ramas.

Heres a pic of mine with the thunderblades mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Thermaltake 'Thunderblade' 120mm and 80mm Fans - My Review.-p1010004-0.jpg  

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2005, 09:19 PM

At high RPMs it's been my experience that anything Thermaltake sounds like a hairdryer. I had the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 cooler, and thankfully it had a speed controller on it. I was able to get it to inaudible levels and it still cooled like a mad fiend.

That fan, though...lol. Holy crap. Sounds exactly like the Volcano 12 did on high speed setting.
Old 2nd November, 2005, 12:55 PM
AOA Staff

You made the press Chaz!

See paragraph 4:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27323
Old 2nd November, 2005, 01:17 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah