AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2005, 07:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

question about watercooling

My video card has the Zalman VF700 installed on it and it idles at 57C and loads at 71c with a clock of 413*1.07

Should I try lapping the zalman to see if I get any better temps, or should i move to watercooling?

I've been leaning towards watercooling for a while now b/c I'm getting sick of these fans whining a way in my case. if I move to watercooling, will I see a major drop in temperatures in my case, along with the cooled parts of the system?

CPU currently idles around 41c and loads at about 46-47c using the Swiftec MCX-462V

Any advice would be great, thx!
Old 7th November, 2005, 07:26 PM

anyone?
Old 7th November, 2005, 10:09 PM
Member/Contributer

ok, WC done correctly will give lower component (CPU and GPU) temps, but you still have lots of surface mount components that need good airflow, so you cant get rid of all the case fans.

My 6800Ultra's temps are pretty similar to yours, but I bet your Zalman is alot quieter than my stock HSF!

Maybe try seeing (listening to) which fans are the noisiest, most likely its a small fan on a chipset or old 80mm case fans.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2005, 07:24 AM

I have no chipset fan, but i know what the annoying noise is. It's my cpu fan, its a semi high CFM fan about 35-50...some where in there. i have 2x120mm fans, and 2x80mm low RPM fans. would it be worth it to lap the zalman...would it make any difference? should i just go watercooling and forget about lapping the zalman? if i have time i can take off the zalman and take a pic of the contact area if that will help any.

this is what my setup is like minus the pci slot fan.
Attached Thumbnails
question about watercooling-dscn4246.jpg  
Old 8th November, 2005, 07:31 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Even with watercooling, fans are needed, unless you have a BIGGG rad, and don't load your cpu 100% of the time. The bigger the rad, the less noisy airflow is needed(you still need lots, but it's quieter over a large area, of course).
Old 8th November, 2005, 11:59 AM
Member/Contributer

Interesting case WB, its all topsy-turvy, & back to front!

The blue twin-fan setup you have just above the gfx card, is it blowing down onto the card & zalman or sucking upwards towards? I'm assuming its blowing down? From the upside down setup I'd say you are then re-circulating alot of hot air at the bottom of the case. The CPU heat rises, to the gfx card which has the blue fans blowing the heat back down onto the card. Try it (twin fan thing) turning over so it blows straight up to the HDD's.

Also check how hot your HDD's are.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th November, 2005, 02:51 PM

i actually took the fas above the video card out because it wasnt helping any, just adding to the noise. It actually made the temps worse if i set those fans on full speed with the built on speed control.
Old 8th November, 2005, 03:39 PM

I like that idea in that case - air flow in a straight line over the CPU. Does it actually work well?
Old 8th November, 2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
I like that idea in that case - air flow in a straight line over the CPU. Does it actually work well?
it does actually, there was a "windtunnel" that came with the case but it actually made the temperatures worse in the case because it was preventing any of the air outside of the "windtunnel" to exit the case to it just got hotter and hotter so i took out the tunnel and the temps decrease including my cpu temp....this past week i a record low for me at 38.9c idle with an OC of 11*200 2.2Ghz
Old 9th November, 2005, 06:54 AM

if i lap the zalman, how much time will it take from start to finish? what do i need and what do i use? i would like to try that before i spend a couple hundred bux on a watercooling setup.
Old 9th November, 2005, 10:08 AM
Member/Contributer

I'm not sure it will provide any significant improvement over the factory finish and as these heatsinks a re quite delicate I'd be careful you dont bend the fins to hell and back. What TIM are you using?
You could try an Arctic cooler instead as they vent the hot air straight out the back of the case, so any recirculation is very limited.

How long will it take?Probably 40min from removing it to putting it back in the case.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th November, 2005, 07:56 PM

Im use AS5, if i can i'll pick up an Arctic Silencer and see what happens
Old 13th November, 2005, 12:55 AM

picked up an NV5 and it already dropped the temps 5-10c load and im using the TP that came with the cooler! im happy now!
Old 13th November, 2005, 01:01 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Cool(er)!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah