AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2002, 09:11 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Watercooled at last!

Hi guys, kaitain left about an hour ago, i just rubber banded my home made waterblock on...... not enough pressure really.... but still works OK.... no rad, just a big reservoir at the mo.

keeping an eye on temps, but very pleased so far, seems to peak in low 30's at 1533........ havent played with overclocking yet with this set up, and dont plan to with the rubber bands!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2002, 12:44 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Even more important... does it POST with some semblance of stability now?
Old 4th March, 2002, 01:07 AM

Cool.

Rubber bands dosent sound like the safest mounting method.

Be carefull.

Good luck with the overclock once you have it all sorted.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2002, 07:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Give that reservoir a chance to reach an equalibrium, your temps will rise quite a bit I bet.

Can you give us some info on this "JIM" block of yours??

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 4th March, 2002, 09:35 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

the name was given to it by bobbinz, im building him a watercooling system, the block is just an old P3 heatsink encased in plexiglass with a pair of 3/8 copper pipes coming out of it. Im gonna be finishing the "JIM" radiator today, this is an 11 pass jobby, but to cut down on flow resistance im building a pair of plexi boxes onto the ends, this will slow up the flow considerably throught the tubes, giving the fan more time to cool it! unfortunately i cant think how i can test this on my rig, as i am using 1/2 ID tubing, ive had to fit compression fittings to the prototype waterblock and force the tubing over this. i dont want to do this with the radiator as its the finished article

Yup posts perfectly now Kaitain! was worried u'd got lost actually since u werent online last night! I guess you were worshipping the penguin?

If anyone in the UK is interested, i am prepared to build and sell the rads for maybe £20 each. waterblocks depend on if i can find a cheap source of heatsinks

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 4th March, 2002, 10:30 AM

You have too much time on your hands since you decided school was a waste . . .

You probably actually sleep too don't you? I'm lucky if I squeeze 3-4 hours in at night and a light nap on my lunch break . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 4th March, 2002, 10:49 AM

nah woke up at about 8am today! i dont understand this, my thermocouple next to the core reads 33 celsius, and the in socket was up at 42 until i wafted some air over the motherboard... anyone know why it would read so high behind the chip? Is it as i suggested to spode the fact that Athlon XP has resisters and capacitors on the back side of the CPU package and these are heating the air in the socket more so than the core itself?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 4th March, 2002, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
anyone know why it would read so high behind the chip?
You will find the VccCore power supply on the 8KHA+ gets quite warm, that heat has a tendency to migrate throughout the motherboard. It's not just the MOSFETs that are generating heat, but the switching controller, the capacitors, and even the inductor coils.

You will also find that an 80mm fan is the perfect size for the VccCore supply. It will span from the ATX back-plate to the row of six capacitors adjacent to the ZIF socket. I highly recommend this be done by anyone involved in a distributing computing project that maintains a 24/7 load on the CPU.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 4th March, 2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 4th March, 2002, 12:05 PM

I think ill be fitting one.... only thing is im enjoying the silence at the moment..... and im building a seperate box for the cooling gear.... thats gonna be VERY noisy.........

stabilized at 32 celsius idle....... room temp of 18 C, never had it this cool on air i dont think........

gonna try loading it now, see what happens

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 4th March, 2002 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4th March, 2002, 02:34 PM

Just hearing how quiet that block was in (pre-fitting) testing, I think I might be building myself something water-based fairly soon. My box makes the house tremble at the moment

A 14dC delta isn't all that low - what was the reservoir temp at this time? I'd guess probably 22 - 25dC
Old 4th March, 2002, 02:47 PM

the water temp is probably 22 - 26 celsius, it feels luke warm to the touch.

no i realize why people complain about delta's i went to mess about with my bro's PC it was really obnoxious.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 4th March, 2002, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I think ill be fitting one.... only thing is im enjoying the silence at the moment.....
I use an ultra quiet Panaflow 23CFM fan, it is very very quiet! You simply can't hear it over a stock power supply fan(I swapped my stock PSU fan for another 23CFM fan myself), or over a wound up CD-ROM drive.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th March, 2002, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
A 14dC delta isn't all that low - what was the reservoir temp at this time? I'd guess probably 22 - 25dC
A 14C delta isn't bad for an all aluminum waterblock, in fact it's quite good, probably due to high fluid velocity . . .

I've got an alumium block with a copper base plate, plumbed with 1/4" ID tubing that is managing a miraculous 11C delta right now(with a 70W load) . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 4th March, 2002 at 09:25 PM.
Old 4th March, 2002, 10:36 PM

Jeff, it looks more like a 5c delta! once the thing shuts down, after a good few mins the core is at about 5 - 7 c below what it was when it was idling......... i need to get a waterproof thermometer to check properly.

remember the delta is the difference between core and coolant......

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 5th March, 2002, 12:05 AM

Quote:
remember the delta is the difference between core and coolant......
Yes I know, I was one of the first folks to point that out to the hardware community. I've been using an in-line thermistor for almost a year now. I just read the "K" man's post and assumed he was talking the full load core-coolant delta, and it now seems I have no idea what delta at what state of load you all are talking about . . .

What exactly are you talking about???

Can you give me a rough guestimate of the waterblocks C/W, that way I can be sure were on the same page here.

The cheap alumium block w/ copper base plate I mention above has a C/W or .157 this is with 1/4" ID hose and the weak-suck fluid velocity that comes with it.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th March, 2002, 12:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Would love to know the real Delta if you find a good way to calculate it.
Old 5th March, 2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I just read the "K" man's post and assumed he was talking the full load core-coolant delta, and it now seems I have no idea what delta at what state of load you all are talking about . . .
Core/coolant delta when idle. That's why I was so surprised by 14dC - that's not a vast improvement on good air-cooling. As you rightly point out, dimm, that would be a good value for a full-load core-coolant delta.

kplonk - in this case it's easier just to measure it.

Random - why not just attach the thermocouple to the outside of your copper outlet tube? It'll only be perhaps 0.5dC different from the water temperature...
Old 5th March, 2002, 10:10 AM

good idea m8! ill do it now.........

ack! it plays silly buggers with it! dont ask me why! anyway its all irrelevant since i dont have the correct pressure on the core, its not anywhere near its true potential at the moment.

26 c idle now, increased pressure on core this thing looks very heath robinson now! got a pair of erasers and a biro crammed under a pair of bootlaces holding it down!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 5th March, 2002 at 07:03 PM.
Old 5th March, 2002, 08:34 PM

I just watercooled my floor too! either me or my m8 stu knocked the outlet pipe out to the bucket as we left the room.... i returned a minute later to a clattering pump and a core temp of 32 c and climbing....... oh and about 2 litres of water arranged artistically on my bedroom floor.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 5th March, 2002, 09:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Opps we’ve all done that before, good job there was no additives in the water.