AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th March, 2002, 09:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sealworx

globalwin TAK68 question

I recently bought a TAK68 and I saw from the box that it has a 4 pin molex connector and a 3 pin connector. Although it is obvious that I need to connect the 4 pin molex to its counterpart in the PSU, I was just wokdering if its ok to connect the 3 pin connector to the mobo. Please advise. Thanks! -- seal
Inno3d GF3 Ti200
HEC 450w PSU
Nanya 2100 128 Mb
Lian Li PC-12 (modded)
Lian Li RH47 HDD Mobile Rack
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Lite-On 16x10x40x CD-Writer
A4 Tech WOP-35 Optical Mouse
Super Dual Box gamepad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2002, 09:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I wouldn't, as if you draw too much power you will burn out the circuit traces in the motherboard . . .

I usually power the fans off the PSU 4-pin molex and connect the tach output to the motherboard. You can do this by removing the two power wires from the three pin connector. If you look at one side of the connectors you will see a rectangular hole with metal inside, push on the metal with a small screwdrive and pull on the wires, they will pull right out then. You then have two pig tails that you can wedge in to the four pin molex to power the fan.

I hope you understand what I wrote, it seems like everytime I try to explain that simple little trick folks have no clue what I mean . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2002, 09:55 AM

Hi dimmreaper,

Yep, I didn't get what you said. You have to excuse me, I'm a newbie to overclocking

Anyway, the three pin connector that I'm talking about is not the one that is from the fans itself. When I bought that heatsink, I got a 3 to 4 pin connector and a three pin connector attached from the 4 pin molex. That's the three pin connector that I was talking about. Apparently, it seems that it is a default accessory to all globalwin HSFs and I'm wondering if there' anyone here who has tried 'that' three pin connector to their mobo. Hope you got what I'm trying to say.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
Inno3d GF3 Ti200
HEC 450w PSU
Nanya 2100 128 Mb
Lian Li PC-12 (modded)
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Super Dual Box gamepad
Old 6th March, 2002, 10:36 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

its not a standard thing, i have a globalwin sink, came with just a 3 pin.... do as dimm said, just remove the red and black leads from the 3 pin and jam them into the corresponding wires on the 4 pin molex, then plug the 3 pin into the motheboard Fan1 header that way you have RPM sensing and no risk of frying a mobo.

I hade a dream about that last night kinda wierd

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 6th March, 2002, 05:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cygnus_x_1 Send a message via AIM to Cygnus_x_1

Dimm, Random...you guys just dissapointed me....take 5 mins and do a lil research for the n00bs... if you take a look at the TAK 68, it has two fans on it, one is upplied power with the 4 pin, the other supplies power & rpm monitoring. Seal, it is ok to hook up the 4 pin to your powersupply, and the 3 pin to the mobo.
Quote from Tweaktowns review of the tak68:
Quote:
A final note on the fans is the fact that you have both a 4-pin Molex and a 3-pin connection to hook up. The Molex will take care of the power to one of the fans and the 3-pin will handle the juice to the other, and will also allow you to monitor fan speeds through the BIOS or software utility. This way, if you don’t have more than one fan header on your motherboard, you won’t be left in the dark for the second fan. Kind of nice when a company actually thinks its way through a design and allows for alternatives.
the review can be found here: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=195&dPage=2

Thanks to tweaktown for a good review!!!
Old 7th March, 2002, 06:39 AM

Thanks Cygnus_x_1! The extra research was very much appreciated.
Inno3d GF3 Ti200
HEC 450w PSU
Nanya 2100 128 Mb
Lian Li PC-12 (modded)
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Super Dual Box gamepad