AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2006, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

Post Memory heat spreaders don't do it

From our Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/686/2/

Source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29598

Quote:
OCZ is an aggressive memory company that is really pitching against the much larger Corsair. You all remember that Nvidia and ATI had a penchant for releasing certain PDF documents about each other's claims, and believe it or not it is starting to happen in the memory industry as well.
Old 9th February, 2006, 07:37 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Do the heatsinks have such a small effect due to the design of memory - I would think it's because they are encased in quite a chunky ceramic, unlike CPUs and GFX card, that have a much thinner "skin" ?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2006, 10:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The gullible ( that's me!) will always be taken advantage of!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2006, 10:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I've been shaking my head over this whole 'heat spreader' thing for memory for quite a while. The only way to really gain anything in the way of heat dissipation would be to figure out some way to wick the heat off the PCB, as the leads off the chips are going to be carrying heat to the board. Since the boards are packed really tight, I doubt that would be very practical.
Old 9th February, 2006, 10:41 PM

I've know this for a while I though it was common knolage, while they do dicipate heat it dopesn't help with OC'ing at all, mabey in a rare occasion a Mhz or so.
However less heat comming off to the board from the RAM means slightly lower temps, I'm sure thats what OCZ will argue.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 9th February, 2006, 11:43 PM

Actuly now that I rember I think I read on tiger direct that it doesn't help overclockers.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 10th February, 2006, 12:12 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ok. lets clear some confusion.

It's a heatspreader, not a heatsink, so lets clear the air of heatspreaders on ram actually there for cooling purposes, because they are not.

The use of heatspreader's is two-fold.

1. to hide the IC's on the PCB so as to not have confusion when a product ships under the same sku while containing different parts. Stardard practice when many IC's can maintain multiple timings @ differing frequencies, and DDR DRAM supply is tight when most fab's have moved over to DDRII production.

2. to spreader the heat evenly over the stick of ram, to maintain timings under stress.

as ram is assembled in multiple banks, these banks must maintain the same temps in order to be able to run the same speed consistently. this is even more important when one side of the ram sticks is always more exposed to airflow than the other.

This being said, yes, heatspreaders can hinder performance. take for example my own redline ram, which can to me with one of the adhesive backings on the heatspreader not removed. suffice it to say that it greatly affected my stability, and took me ages to find. However, this is something that only benefited my overclocking/benching, and not my 24/7 clocks.

for pure overclocking mastery, ripping heatspreader's off and directing a high-airflow fan over the DIMMs is the best thing you can do, however, that being said, in the average usage environment, heatspreaders do have purpose.
Old 10th February, 2006, 12:19 AM

Actualy you can water cool DDR ram, I just find my heat spreaders look nice, see I've found with my PC I have to make it look really good since I have to show it too everybody, which is why I never bother with burn in as I take the OC off when people come.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2006, 03:14 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

heatspreaders do the job they were designed for, reduce ram temperatures by increasing the heat dissipation to air surface area. Most of them i've seen are very thin so they will be poor at conducting heat along the length of the stick but also have little resistance away from the pcb (thermal conductivity is proportional to cross sectional area and thermal resistance is proportional to thickness in ideal materials, resistance is the inverse of conductivity)

If what the guy has stated that decreasing temperatures doesnt increase peformance then they are indeed useless. I'd of said all ram chips going are designed to work without spreaders so the temperatures will never go in 'danger zones' under normal operation
Old 12th February, 2006, 01:32 PM

Looking at the design of most heat spreaders I would have thought the gain in surface area to assist in heat dissipation was very small - balanced out by restriction of airflow to the sides of the packages and circuit board. I'd be interested to know if anyone has built heat spreaders with really large cooling fins or got substantial benefits from direct cooling.

My experience with GPU boards has always been that the GPU overclocks sometimes run into trouble when the board gets hot but memory overclocks seem to be quite stable (NVidia 4200/5600/6600) - anyone else noticed the same ? - so this may be the same for system memory.
Old 14th February, 2006, 11:26 PM
Member/Contributer

my 6800gt wont overclock more at lower gpu temps and the board runs hot as tits, so I actually get better OC's with a heatsink and fan than water...