AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2006, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Pressure Or Volume More Inportant?

Hey guys, well I have two options for the watercooling going in my car...

First choice: I could go with 1/2" ID tubing through the whole system and not need to step down the tubing size coming off most of the equipment, and this would result in a higher volume of water throughout the system

Second Choice: I could go with 3/8" ID tubing through the whole system, this would require a couple size changes (mainly the inlet and outlet of the radiator) but would result ina slightly higher pressure (if im not mistaken)

I know either way there wont be much difference and with the size radiator I'm using it probably wont matter much, but I want to get the best cooling possible out of this
Old 7th March, 2006, 07:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In general, you want to go with the largest size tubing you can reasonably use. You don't want to waste pressure just getting the water through the hose; you want the pressure to be available at the point where you are doing the work, i.e. the water block.

Now, that being said, there are always tradeoffs. The highest performing waterblocks need pretty good pressures to work well, but if you want to back down in performance just a bit, you can get some blocks that work quite well with only moddest pressure levels. This in turn allows you to burn a little pressure on smaller tubing that is more convenient to work with, or use a smaller pump. It's all a matter of figuring out what you can live with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2006, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

well the equipment being used are a denger den maze4 cpu block, danger den maze4 chipset block, a water pump for an rv and a radiator from an atv... I dont think pressure at the block are a big issue, because they seem to up pressure quite a bit when the watter hits it, so I think I will probably go with the bigger tubing
Old 7th March, 2006, 10:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djXternal
well the equipment being used are a denger den maze4 cpu block, danger den maze4 chipset block, a water pump for an rv and a radiator from an atv... I dont think pressure at the block are a big issue, because they seem to up pressure quite a bit when the watter hits it, so I think I will probably go with the bigger tubing

IIRC, those blocks do like higher pressures. That means that you are doing exactly right; use bigger tubing so that you don't waste energy just getting the water through the lines.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2006, 11:20 PM

ok thanks for the help, hopefully I'll have it all goin in the next month
Old 7th March, 2006, 11:24 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Dude, you should post up some pix when you do!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 9th March, 2006, 03:29 AM

Will do