AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2006, 06:55 AM

water cooling question

what is the best performance, reliabilty, price thats currently on the market. btw if i used distiled water or nonconductive coolant would it still pose any threat to my system?
Thanks Harley
Old 24th March, 2006, 12:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The distilled water only remains non-conductive whilst there are no impurities in it. As soon as you add it to a water cooling loop, it's going to pick up ions from the materials your watercooling system is made up from. Thus, it'll rapidly become conductive.

If you test the loop well so that it doesn't leak prior to operation, and then you're aware of things like coolant levels, you shouldn't have a problem. Generally, coolant levels only go down if there's a leak!

What are you looking for? A ready made kit, or components you can put together, or a combination of a ready made base kit together with additional components? What is the aim of your cooling?
Old 26th March, 2006, 06:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Best performance will be a home built system. Best price will be an entry level kit. As for reliability, just take care in putting it togeter, use hose clamps or atleast zip ties pulled very tight, and test it befor you put it in your system.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March, 2006, 08:45 PM

The bast in a low price range is the thermaltake big water SE, also if your getting an 3000+ why are you getting WC?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2006, 01:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

i have a custom built system with a rad from a suzuki atv and water pump from an rv, with danger den water blocks havent had a chance to test cooling with it yet seeing as piece of the actual pc keep breaking down so ill be testing it soon (its going in my car)... if you are worried about leaks get some blocks with metal hose fittings, clide the hose over it, then get some hose clams and a socket wrench and tighten em down good, I can say my system has run perfectly with no leaks (of course not in the pc yet)....

Just giving my 2cents, personally i dont think you can go wrong witha custom built system
Old 3rd April, 2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djXternal
personally i dont think you can go wrong witha custom built system
I have a custom built system as well. as much fun as it was
to bring it all together, it was a pain. the 110v pond pump
is the problem. it adds another power consuming item to the mix.
I made the switch to Koolance and won't go back to home-
made. Koolance has many options for building a custom
water cooled machine. they have many pre-built units that
can take some of the hassle out of H2o cooling.
I wanted to write a review a while back but got distracted.
now I that am about to put my 8NPA-SLI into a Koolance
case, it seems to be a good time for a review of both. it
will take me the better part of the next three weeks to get
it all together. I will post up when completed.

Ron

AOA Team fah