AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd April, 2006, 05:22 AM

Cooling problem

I'm running an AMD athlon64 3700, with no overclocking at the moment. Here's my problem:
I recently replaced my stock AMD fan with a Thermaltake x-blower and added some Arctic silver 5 to try and lower my temps a few degrees without buying a new HSF. However, after my modifications the temps are way higher than they were. (idle 37-38c)
I followed the application instructions from the arctic silver website exactly as they said, but the only thing is that after I applied it, I left for the day and didn't get a chance to run any stress tests to heat it up first, I also can't remember if I left the PC off or on during the time I was gone.

It's been more than a week, so I know the AS5 has cured by now, but the temps are definatley too high as they are. Should I clean the AS5 off and re-apply, or am I just going to have to live with these temps until I can buy a new HSF?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Toastmaster; 3rd April, 2006 at 05:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2006, 05:33 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

What chip are you using?
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSDT
What chip are you using?
Ah, sorry. Forgot to add that.
It's an AMD athlon64 3700, I have cool'n'quiet enabled, and I'm not overclocking anything.
I think I'll edit that into the first post.
Old 3rd April, 2006, 06:07 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Well the artic silver worked for my temps and I didn't follow any instructions, does the quite n cool adjust your fan speeds? If so maybe the blower needs some different settings than your standard one.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 8th April, 2006, 05:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but I think I've figured it out.

The problem wasn't the fan, because I had it hooked up to the external controller, and I'd been leaving it on high due to the temps.
Part of the problem was the arctic silver, I mentioned I didn't get a chance to heat it up then let it cool when I put it on, so I went ahead and re-applied, and my temps are already about 5 degrees lower.

The other part of my problem is that I think my temp monitor is wrong by 5 or so degrees.
I read that if you let your cpu cool down to room temp, then turn it on and go to bios, the temp should be within 5 degrees of room temperature.
So I let it cool overnight, turned it on, and in bios it said it was already 34 degrees, but room temp was 19!

I guess I need to buy an external sensor to make sure.
2x 1 Gb g.skill PC3200
Maxtor 100GB SATA