AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st April, 2006, 05:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
congrats.

You could, however the heatload of the cpu is quite alot. let's put it this way...a sinlge 120mm BIX rad is not enough to cool MY cpu @ 1.5v, and 3ghz, without a screamer of a fan on it. Took 65 minutes for it to melt 4 kilos of ice in the water.
How well insulated was that? That works out to about 340w, which is more than I'm willing to believe you were pushing through that CPU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2006, 03:41 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

non-insulated, rad/fan still in the loop as well. ambient temp was 15c. Of course airtemp had an effect on the ice as well, although i beleive the fan/rad made the unit into an air-condition as well as a cpu cooler.
Old 21st April, 2006, 03:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ah, ok. That makes a lot more sense, then.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2006, 10:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

If it doesn't work I still have the other chiller that is made to handle a heat load. The compressor is quite large. I also picked up a nice window unit for the great price of free. It is only about a year old or so....

I will be trying out the water cooler tomorrow. I will post results...If it fails to hold it's own, I will move to the other chiller....

It works very well and uses a water jacket around the evap coil in the container....

I will get some specs from the compressor on this unit....

And the manufacturer from the water cooler..
Attached Thumbnails
Watr Chiller-water-chiller-005.jpg   Watr Chiller-water-chiller-002.jpg  
Old 21st April, 2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Manufacturer?

Being a 1/20 hp compressor, you're definitely not going to get extreme temps out of it when cooling a CPU going full blast, but I gather you weren't intending to go extreme with it anyway. I'd be surprised if the thing can handle more than about 100w, though, and maintain a reasonable water temp, and it's going to be working hard to do that.

It's a Matsu****a

I cannot see the plate very good on the other chiller. It is PH1 or something. It is also about as big as the compressor in my outside ac unit for my house. This thing will turn a 50/50 mix of antifreeze to slush in no time flat....
Old 22nd April, 2006, 03:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
It's a Matsu****a

I cannot see the plate very good on the other chiller. It is PH1 or something. It is also about as big as the compressor in my outside ac unit for my house. This thing will turn a 50/50 mix of antifreeze to slush in no time flat....
The PH1 is probably the nameplate rating, indicating that it is a single phase compressor (which we already know from the wiring). As big as you describe it being, it might be useful for your application.

I can't find anything on the FN series at Matsu****a. I'm guessing the thing hasn't been made for several years. However, a 1/20th horsepower motor is about 40 watts. At this power level, a compressor generally produces as much heat as it moves when operated at it's rated temp (which would be probably about 5C - 10C). Since you will be operating at higher temps than that, we can prorate the capacity a bit, but I'm afraid you will end up pushing something in the area of 20C - 30C water temp to be able to handle a 100W heat load, and the compressor will be running constantly. In that case, I think you'd be better off to run a traditional radiator and fan.

The window unit would definitely provide you with good cooling capacity, but would need a very large (think several gallons) reservoir to be used at maximum efficiency. Plus you'd have to figure out how to get the evaporator into the water.
Old 22nd April, 2006, 04:14 AM

I will try it tomorrow....

If no go I will set up the water chiller and see what I get....

Thanks Gizmo
Old 22nd April, 2006, 09:58 PM

Well it seems so far the the water cooler does not have what it takes. No rad and just the cpu in the loop, the temp is about the same as with the rad ....

I may shut it down for a bit and let the cooler gain a little ground....I have a fan blowing on the compressor and condensor. I will post back...

It may be time to pull out the big dog....lol
Old 23rd April, 2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
The PH1 is probably the nameplate rating, indicating that it is a single phase compressor (which we already know from the wiring). As big as you describe it being, it might be useful for your application.

I can't find anything on the FN series at Matsu****a. I'm guessing the thing hasn't been made for several years. However, a 1/20th horsepower motor is about 40 watts. At this power level, a compressor generally produces as much heat as it moves when operated at it's rated temp (which would be probably about 5C - 10C). Since you will be operating at higher temps than that, we can prorate the capacity a bit, but I'm afraid you will end up pushing something in the area of 20C - 30C water temp to be able to handle a 100W heat load, and the compressor will be running constantly. In that case, I think you'd be better off to run a traditional radiator and fan.

The window unit would definitely provide you with good cooling capacity, but would need a very large (think several gallons) reservoir to be used at maximum efficiency. Plus you'd have to figure out how to get the evaporator into the water.
Well Gizmo, it appears that the compressor just was not enough. It would hold it about where I was before and started to loose ground if I really poured it to it. I am setting up my other chiller now. I have to get some more tubing first. Maybe today or tomorrow. This thing is actually made for this so it should be ok.......
Old 23rd April, 2006, 12:55 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

no rad in the system ?
i'd use a big arse rad to get most of the energy out of the coolent and get its temps back near to ambient, and then cool the water and feed it into the cpu. should have cooler water going in that way.

It would make the chiller additional cooling and not all of the cooling
Old 23rd April, 2006, 01:11 PM

You think that would work....I wanted to do that to help cooling the internals of my case also. It doesn't seem up to the task........