AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2006, 12:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans

I have owned the Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe for the best part of a year now and was well aware of the bad design of the chipset fan on the original "Deluxe" but came face to face with the problem recently. Searching the Internet proved promising with multiple solutions! Unfortunately none of which could help me except one. Most of the other solutions involved fitting large after market chipset coolers which interfere with cards with dual slot coolers! Another solution was to replace the chipset fan with a replacement from Asus (which they supplied free of charge very quickly) but with concerns speeding as to the life of the new design I quickly dismissed this as a possibility.

There was one idea speeding around but no one seemed to be using this method, which was to remove the fan assembly from the heatsink and bolt a new on top of the original heatsink. Sounds good but many people dismissed this idea. Well I thought it was a great idea for a multitude of reasons...

1. A replacable fan that could be changed at ones leisure
2. The motherboard does not need to be removed to do this mod
3. The new fan allows use of graphics cards with dual slot coolers

I simply bought the 40 x 40 x 10 Papst fan from RS components cut the leads down and re-made the Molex crimps on the end (this is not necessary but in the interest of keeping the case clean). The old fan assembly was carefully disassembled and the heatsink cleaned of dust (and fan thrown in the bin). This involves taking the top plate of by removing the 4 small screws, them rotating the fan so you can locate the 3 small screws that hold the fan in place. Carefully undo these, making sure not to apply any pressure to the heatsink. Then clean.

The new fan sits nicely on top of the old heatsink and was secured using Metric M2 x 15mm pan head bolts into the original top plate tapers.

Temperature wise im aware the reading does not come directly from the NF4 chipset directly so a less scientific approach of "how hot the heatsink feels" proves very good, the original fan in the heatsink proved quite painful to hold for any extended period of time, with the new fan installed the heatsink feels faintly warm but no real heat to comment on. The best bit is that this solution works very well with large graphics cards particularly the X1900XTX such as my own and SLI users could quite happily accommodate two cards with large dual slot coolers.

The new fan is very effective and is proving extremely quite under use. I would recommend this to anyone with similar problems. Included is an overall picture showing how unobtrusive the new fan is. The clearance between the chipset and the fan arrangement is good apart from one side where you have to carefully lower the card into place. but it is still very free and the card can be taken quite easily.

Hope these pictures are of help to anyone in a similar boat...
Attached Thumbnails
Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans-bodge1.jpg   Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans-bodge2.jpg  

Last edited by Razorfish; 19th April, 2006 at 12:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2006, 12:39 AM

Overall system shot and Below is a pictue of the original chipset fan clearly showing the top plate and screws which have to be removed, the fan is easily removed again just by removing three screws. (Picture from Anandtech).
Attached Thumbnails
Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans-bodge3.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Razorfish; 19th April, 2006 at 12:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2006, 12:47 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Wow that is a superb solution! Nice work, Razorfish!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 19th April, 2006, 12:49 AM

Thank you, i just wanted to show it could be done, people talked about it but never show their results... hence the post. Again Thanks.
Old 19th April, 2006, 03:21 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Thanks for the solution RF, i'm sure plenty of people will find this useful
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 19th April, 2006, 09:29 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Nice work

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 19th April, 2006, 02:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Well done, Razorfish! Front Page! www.aoaforums.com
Old 19th April, 2006, 05:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just caught up with this on front pafe. well done RF!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th April, 2006, 06:50 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

nice.

I'm looking to do the same thing...the fan on my asus board(one of the replacement ones, replacement #2, to be exact) has started getting loud.

got some links to the fan you used?
Old 19th April, 2006, 11:25 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=40mmpapst Something like that i would presume.

http://www.quietpc.ca/acb/showdetl.c...D=284&CATID=34
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 20th April, 2006, 09:10 AM

Hey thanks for the response!

Yeah GE is pretty much on spot on there. The particular model is the Papst TYP412F 40 x 40 x 10 (12v 60mA) The only problem with this fan is it has no Sense for the Fans RPM so the monitoring of the RPM has to be disabled in the BIOS. I reckon you could use any 40x40x10 fan though, the Papst is quite expensive but i chose it due to Papst's very good reputation!

The Molex KK plugs on these types of fans can be removed (Due to it coming with bare ends, the one shown is a two contact but you need a three contact which can be knicked from any fans you have laying around) by depressing the back of the metal contact. (See picture)

As I mentioned the Bolts used were Metric M2 x 15mm (Pan Head)

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans-dsc00713.jpg   Soloution to Faulty A8N-SLi Deluxe Chipset Fans-dsc00717mod.jpg