AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2006, 06:24 PM
AOA Staff

Pumpless water cooling?

They think this could be used to cool processors using water, but without a need for any pumps!

Quote:
Physicists have made water run uphill quite literally under its own steam.

The droplets propel themselves over metal sheets scored with a carefully designed array of grooves.
Story and video here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4955398.stm
Old 30th April, 2006, 09:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am thinking that the water temp would have to be quite high to get water flow. I have seen this tried somewhere else with (OK) results. I will see if I can find the link...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2006, 09:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At lest his intentions are good! ":O}

"It would be very neat if we could use the heat from the chip to be the pump, because you would not need any additional power, but also because the pumping only happens when the thing is warm; it would also be a thermostat at the same time. So it would all be in one package."
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2006, 10:27 PM

There are several articles if you search pumpless water cooling in google. Some have been somewhat successful....I think with a waterblock designed for this it may have some good results....
Old 1st May, 2006, 12:36 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Bah, we use thermosiphons a lot in industry to avoid the use of pumps. Mostly in distillation tower reboilers.
Old 1st May, 2006, 12:40 AM

personally I think that our WC systems will stay with pumps it's probly cheaper.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 1st May, 2006, 01:27 AM

Thermosiphons (i.e. self-pumping systems) have the same glitch as heat pipes: you have to bring the coolant to the boil for them to work.

The way a thermosiphon works is to use the heat source to vapourise your fluid, which naturally rises, then allow it to condense elsewhere, sending its latent heat to atmosphere. This then brings cooler liquid into the bottom of the siphon. There is no difference in principle between this and the heat pipes you're all familiar with, except that the thermosiphon is shaped like a donut and the heatpipe is a length of tube, albeit bent into a variety of shapes.

For reasons I can't be bothered to go into, in distillation columns we reboil some of the bottom product and put it back in the column, and condense some of the top product and do likewise. We prefer not to have pumps, so thermosiphon systems are handy where we can achieve them.

All I can see the academics achieving here is doing this on droplets over a Forman grill rather than at the useful level like we've been doing since before I was born.
Old 1st May, 2006, 07:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Thermosiphons (i.e. self-pumping systems) have the same glitch as heat pipes: you have to bring the coolant to the boil for them to work.

The way a thermosiphon works is to use the heat source to vapourise your fluid, which naturally rises, then allow it to condense elsewhere, sending its latent heat to atmosphere. This then brings cooler liquid into the bottom of the siphon. There is no difference in principle between this and the heat pipes you're all familiar with, except that the thermosiphon is shaped like a donut and the heatpipe is a length of tube, albeit bent into a variety of shapes.

For reasons I can't be bothered to go into, in distillation columns we reboil some of the bottom product and put it back in the column, and condense some of the top product and do likewise. We prefer not to have pumps, so thermosiphon systems are handy where we can achieve them.

All I can see the academics achieving here is doing this on droplets over a Forman grill rather than at the useful level like we've been doing since before I was born.
wow, you know your stuff
Old 1st May, 2006, 07:19 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread
wow, you know your stuff
When you work with it daily... you have too!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 1st May, 2006, 06:58 PM
AOA Staff

Assuming it is possible to implement this, would it have any benefit over heatpipes?
Old 1st May, 2006, 07:40 PM

Perhaps only as the heat duties get larger. In small applications it's not going to make a huge degree of difference. They are more difficult to design and set up, though.

I did note that they were suggesting using it to channel coolant through the chip. That would be interesting to see.

Now, the thermosiphon effect operates either slowly, remaining in the liquid phase and relying on warm liquid rising and cold liquid sinking, or it relies on phase change - the coolant vapour rises, condenses, falls. Same in both systems.

The "droplet on a stove" model presents a problem. It's a very pretty trick to have the droplet follow a path, but it won't do anything like as much work for you as if you just vapourised the whole droplet. In addition, you introduce a gas layer (the already-boiled coolant) which slows the rate of heat transfer to the droplet.

Just playing with the idea, though, it may be used to propel a droplet of diminishing size through a complex lattice within a chip, which is where it would come in more handy than more conventional systems.
Old 2nd May, 2006, 12:06 AM

Here is a link

It seems to have worked out ok.....
Old 2nd May, 2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
Here is a link

It seems to have worked out ok.....
Yup, that's the arrangement. You'll note that I didn't say a thermosiphon wouldn't work, of course

The article shows some common features:
1. The condenser is above the boiler
2. The boiler is below the condenser
3. It's a loop
4. Er... that's about it. Strictly speaking, one should calculate the elevation just right so that the fluid just starts to condense as it enters the heat exchanger, so as to maximise the pumping effect. In practice, it often still works even if it's wrong. Just, not as well.