AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th June, 2006, 05:33 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

How much water?

As the title asks how much water does your water cooling system hold? I'll be wet testing my new res & pump tonight and I'll get a measurement of what it holds. But I've being thinking how much does everybody else have.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th June, 2006, 06:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ideally, your water cooling system should only need enough water to fill the hoses and the radiator (and a small reservoir). Mine holds (I think) about 3/4 of a liter, but I've got a rather large radiator.

I've heard tell of people who have massive reservoirs that hold gallons of water. IMHO, if you need a large reservoir to maintain reasonable temps, you haven't got a large enough radiator for the heat load you are pushing at full tilt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th June, 2006, 06:35 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

2.25 litres.
Old 7th June, 2006, 11:33 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Mine has a capacity of a bit under half a litre (around the 350mL mark). No reservoir, but there is an expansion vessel.
Old 7th June, 2006, 12:56 PM

~1L + 0.3L reservoir
Old 7th June, 2006, 01:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Prob ~1.5L. I have a res that my pump fits in + my rad...
Old 7th June, 2006, 01:40 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Well I got it going holds 730ml the whole system just purging out the air right now and leak testing aswell. How long do you guys leak test for?

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2006, 01:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSDT
Well I got it going holds 730ml the whole system just purging out the air right now and leak testing aswell. How long do you guys leak test for?
24 hours is the general rule of thumb.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 7th June, 2006, 02:04 PM
Alien Clones Champion

The anti corrosion stuff I'm using tastes like maple syrup got a mouth full of it about an hour ago can still taste it now. Hope it wont kill me, if I don't post tomorrow be worried. Oh yes the swiftech MCP350 pump is very quite have to touch it to tell if it's going. But it has a slight delay before powering up maybe 1 sec.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2006, 10:56 PM
Alien Clones Champion

So I live. My wife played a mean trick on me this morning she told me that I had a small puddle under my new res without smiling. This was done while I was on the toilet so that I couldn't check and had to suffer for a few Min's thinking what did I do wrong! Talk about sleeping with the enemy.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2006, 01:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
The anti corrosion stuff I'm using tastes like maple syrup got a mouth full of it about an hour ago can still taste it now. Hope it wont kill me, if I don't post tomorrow be worried. Oh yes the swiftech MCP350 pump is very quite have to touch it to tell if it's going. But it has a slight delay before powering up maybe 1 sec.
DUDE! If your using automotive anti-freeze or it's kin...THAT'S A DEADLY POISON! READ the label carefully and follow the appropriate measures. I do know ingesting small amounts, a half cup or less can KILL YOU. I have no idea about casual exposure.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th June, 2006, 01:54 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
So I live. My wife played a mean trick on me this morning she told me that I had a small puddle under my new res without smiling. This was done while I was on the toilet so that I couldn't check and had to suffer for a few Min's thinking what did I do wrong! Talk about sleeping with the enemy.
Sorry, panicked at the preceding post. As to your wife,..... thank her for me.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th June, 2006, 02:16 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
yeah.... that will get things MOVING!!!
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2006, 02:27 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Thanks Daniel just read the bottle, yes it is poisonous if swallowed. Luck I guess.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2006, 02:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've had trace amounts on my lips on occasion, but the inside of the mouth absorbs like a diaper!! You gave me a bit of a start! Glad this passed you by!! Small kids, dogs and cats are always getting killed because the idiots make it sweet tasting. Must be something unavoidable or someone would have stopped it long ago.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 8th June, 2006, 10:52 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Must be something unavoidable or someone would have stopped it long ago.
I suspect the only way to stop that is to change the way the molecule is put together. Mind you, that'd also have the side effect of stopping it being effective as antifreeze...
Old 8th June, 2006, 11:03 AM
OcBible Creator

QSDT LOL my custom watercooled system has a 15lt LOL tanker! (not tank)....
Connection is Pump --> Radiator --> Waterblock --> Tanker! --> Pump again.
The most important thing for this connection is tank's temperature which is some degrees higher than CPU's.
I have some stuff for this in Guidemania and I will update the section in the future.
Old 8th June, 2006, 09:37 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

most modern anti freeze's are made up from ethlene glycol, which is a form of hydrocarbon.

Quote:
In its pure form, it is an odorless, colorless, syrupy liquid with a sweet taste. Ethylene glycol is toxic, and its accidental ingestion should be considered a medical emergency
It has in the past been used to make wine taste better (east german wine jokes, when in fact it was Austrian) its also in 'moonshine'
in low quantities its not all that toxic as people make out however due to its sweet taste as said people dont just drink a little bit they drink alot. Effects are similar to that of alcohol poisoning (funny that it being an alcohol en all that). Oh its also quite flamable to boot.
30ml of the stuff neat (anti freeze is by no means neat) is enough to take out an adult human. Funny bit is the cure is ethanol which when neat is poisonous itself! The two fight each other out with ethanol being the lesser of the two evils. Usually a strong whisky, vodka or gin does the trick.

The higher the amount of water in your system the larger its thermal capacity (water = 4.2 kJ/kgK, ~ 1kg = 1l). The more water you have the slower its temperature will rise -> its less responsive to heat input change. Resevoirs act as an additional radiator as well, however they are only cooled by natural convection and have a much lower surface area / volume ratio.
Old 8th June, 2006, 10:07 PM
Member/Contributer

...but once it all gets up to temperature its alot harder to cool it all down again!

I have about 500ml in my system. Simple CPU loop with Swiftech 6002 WB, Eheim 1048 pump, Danger den Res and Thermochill 92.2 rad, all plumbed with 7/16 tubing so its nice and slimline!

AOA Team fah
Old 8th June, 2006, 10:58 PM
Alien Clones Champion

15lt I'm guessing it's not a Lan're, but your temps wouldn't move much hey. Does a better pump help with lower temps? Haven't yet got mine on yet to check still leak testing.

AOA Team fah