AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2002, 12:37 AM

Unhappy BURNING hot celey

hi all,

i just changed my motherboard to an asus p3v 4x and i'm running a socket 370 celeron 1 gig with a socket370-->slot 1 converter.

i went into bios to check the temperature, and it reported my mobo temp to be 33C and cpu at 56C. i seem to remember it running at around 30-40C before...

so then i go into winxp, and i run some kinda monitoring program, which i think is less accurate than the bios hardware monitor, and it reports my cpu to run at 38-41C at idle and up to 56-60C under full load - 100% cpu usage. i'm sure this can't be right when everyone else is getting full load temps around 40C.

although, i was trying to put my celeron onto another mobo, a socket 370, and when i was trying to get the heatsink off, a piece of the platic clip, that came with the stock hsf broke off... ...but i still managed to fasten the heatsink onto the cpu afterwards. still, i don't think it fit too well, it's probably not as secure as it was before.

is this probably why my cpu is so hot? i've heard a lot of great things about the people at this forum and i hope someone can offer some insight.

thanks a lot
Old 12th March, 2002, 02:10 AM
AOA Staff

if the heatsink is not seated proprely your temps will be too high. that is probably your problem, try reseating it, and be sure to apply new thermal compound each time you remove/replace it
Old 12th March, 2002, 02:12 AM

yeah, i think cause the clip is sort of missing a tiny piece, the pressure isn't balanced, so it's not being seated very well...

thanks for replying
Old 13th March, 2002, 12:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, tiburon!
Above 50C enters the danger zone for P3E/CII's. Intel's published heat limits for these processors are pure fantasy.
Old 13th March, 2002, 12:03 PM
AOA Staff

ask around, you may find a clip that attatches to the outside lugs , I know PC power and cooling used to make one...
Old 13th March, 2002, 08:12 PM

Talking

the hunt begins
Old 15th March, 2002, 09:25 AM

does anyone know if there's a program that will accurately monitor my cpu temperature , and preferably keep a log. my motherboard is sort of screwy, it's not displaying my multiplier properly...it shows 6, when my multiplier is actually 10. so i'm not too trusting of the way it shows my cpu temp at 46-50 on boot up from having been left alone for several hours.

i used speedfan 4.02 and it shows my cpu temp at 42 idle and 48-50 under full load. this probably isn't as accurate as the bios monitor SHOULD be though...

also, is my cpu usage supposed to fluctuate so much? for a second, it's at 100%, then 2%, then 95%....etc. that's happening now, as i type this post, and the only thing on is IE and task manager. using winxp pro, do all those 'processes' contribute a lot to this?

thanks for any help
Old 15th March, 2002, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by tiburon
does anyone know if there's a program that will accurately monitor my cpu temperature , and preferably keep a log. my motherboard is sort of screwy, it's not displaying my multiplier properly...it shows 6, when my multiplier is actually 10. so i'm not too trusting of the way it shows my cpu temp at 46-50 on boot up from having been left alone for several hours.

i used speedfan 4.02 and it shows my cpu temp at 42 idle and 48-50 under full load. this probably isn't as accurate as the bios monitor SHOULD be though...

also, is my cpu usage supposed to fluctuate so much? for a second, it's at 100%, then 2%, then 95%....etc. that's happening now, as i type this post, and the only thing on is IE and task manager. using winxp pro, do all those 'processes' contribute a lot to this?

thanks for any help
in this case no program will accurately detect your temps because the temp probe itself isn't accurate.
Old 16th March, 2002, 04:52 AM

ahhh, i see. i guess to be on the safe side, i should really replace that hs and clip..

does an overheated cpu progressively display symptoms of overheating? or does it just suddenly cease to work?