AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2006, 07:51 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

50:50 coolant/water mix in rig.

Just syringed half the water out of my watercooling system and replaced it with antifreeze/coolant, cpu now runs 2c cooler but the flow rate is slightly decreased due to the viscosity of the coolant.

The coolant I used has anti-corrosive additives so shouldn't melt anything too much.

The added bonus is it's a cool blue colour and the pump now makes less noise.

Good idea or bad?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2006, 09:26 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm not sure that a 50/50 mix is necessary unless you intend to run it below zero. Generally too much antifreeze will reduce the effectiveness of the coolant. You can always experiment by starting with plain water and slowly adding antifreeze/anticorrosive...

That's a fair bit of work, and if you're happy with what you have I'd recommend against it.
Old 18th July, 2006, 09:41 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

To be honest the plan was to have a ratio of 20:80 coolant/water, however the more blue it got the better it looked and I just carried on, I am considering adding a peltier into the equation now that I have sufficient cooling to remove heat from such a system, it is however a lot of work and I am unsure as to which wattage of TEC to go with and what to power it with for instance a TEC rated at 12v/360w is going to need about 30amps of power which most sub 500w PSUs will have trouble providing and I dont want the significant cost of a dedicated 12v PSU as it would be more efficient MHz wise to buy a better CPU.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2006, 12:09 PM

Generally TECs are not worth the trouble now. They add a huge amount of heat to an already substantial heat load. I would generally reckon to expect to see an increase in heat output of at least 3-4 times when you move to a TEC based system. Can your system handle four times as much heat?

Last edited by Áedán; 18th July, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 18th July, 2006, 12:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

As Áedán said, if it works fine. Usually you lose a little performance when going to 50/50. Water still has better thermal properties than Ethyl/ Gly or any other coolant/anti-freeze. The beneifit is, ant-corrosion, will help with air removal, the added viscosity will quiet your system.
Drawback can be, make pump work harder, lower thermal capacity of water, can dye your lines. Right now if it works great....
Old 18th July, 2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Can your system handle four times as much heat?
I reckon the watercooling as it is could probably cope with two times the current heat output, four times......no, not without adding another radiator in to the loop.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th July, 2006, 09:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Still ya got that 2C ! ":O}

Personally I think with your water setup, your maxed as far as cost effective hassle free cooling. About all that's left is Vopochill and the like, but when you enter the conversation, just say "condensation" and everybody still gets quite...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th July, 2006, 05:35 AM
Member/Contributer

I have to agree with all of the above.

Water is about the best bang for the buck if you want more than air.
A decent TEC setup will cost about the same as an entry level chiller.

Having done a TEC setup to the old k6 350MHz I used to have, I wouldn't bother with it ever again. Far to much hassle, and if it doesn't work the TEC is a very good insulator. The only advantages over a chiller is its quieter and uses slightly less power. But it won't get as cold.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 19th July, 2006, 10:14 AM

TECs use far more power than compressor based systems do. Their COP (Coefficient of Performance) is abysmal compared to compressor systems. The COP is very basically a measure of how much heat is moved for a watt of supplied electricity. The COP of a TEC based system is around 0.4 to 0.9. That means that 1W of electrical power moves between 0.4W and 0.9W of heat.

Compressor based systems usually have a COP in excess of 1, meaning that putting 1W of electrical power in moves more than 1W of heat. Well designed systems can reach a COP of 9, meaning that 1W of electrical power moves 9W of heat.

So, a well designed TEC system needs ten times as much power to acheive the same results as a well designed compressor based system!

Last edited by Áedán; 19th July, 2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 20th July, 2006, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Sorry - meant to say

only advantage is its quieter but wont get as cold and uses more power
was a bit tired and putting chiller in there confused myself.

Also that COP of 0.9 where can I get TEC's that efficient. I can only find a max of 0.6 here, I only want about 5-15W TEC's though.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H