AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2006, 02:52 PM
Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Mahjong. Champion, Virus 2 Champion, King of the Hill Champion, Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion, Zelda Champion

7600GS, and on-die thermal diode

Hi all. I currently have a 7600GS, overclocked quite nicely, and would like to go further. I am a little confused about a couple of things however. Let me illustrate with a screenie.

In the system tray is the GPU temperature from ATITool - 66°. However, in RivaTuner, the temp is 57°. I noticed this difference after enabling the "on-die thermal diode" plugin in the RivaTuner setup. I also did some googling, and found that the on-die thermal diode would be the most accurate sensor for reporting temps. But this is confusing, since it reports lower temps than the "built in data provider". Could someone perhaps shed some light on this one?

Many thanks.
Old 31st July, 2006, 03:25 PM
Steve Jobs

In all honesty both are very inaccurate. Are these load temps, or idle temps by the way? because 60ish load is great for a 6600GT, while 60 idle isn't that good.

I would definitely lean more towards the rivatuner temperature though.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st July, 2006, 11:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In all likelyhood, the Rivatuner reading is a direct diode reading, whereas the ATITool reading is a 'calibrated' reading, meaning that there is some offset or scaling applied to it to account for variations (both real and imagined) from unit to unit. I'm with Dsio, I'd tend to trust the Rivatuner reading more, but they are both going to be suspect. Without some method of calibration, you aren't going to get closer than about +/- 5 degrees of the actual temperature.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2006, 10:21 AM
Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Mahjong. Champion, Virus 2 Champion, King of the Hill Champion, Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion, Zelda Champion

Alright, cool. I thought the thermal diode would be more accurate, but was just confused since it reported temps lower than the other. That's good - means I can o/c the core a fair bit more.

Those are load temps. It idles at around 30°C.

Hmm. Considering that both of these are inaccurate, what do you guys think would be a safe maximum temp, according to the Rivatuner thermal diode reading?

Thanks.
Old 1st August, 2006, 11:53 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Till it artefacts

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 1st August, 2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Till it artefacts
Ok. Artifacts hit at around 70°, so I'll stick below this. Managed 750Mhz on the core - a nice increase over the 450Mhz stock level.

Thanks for the help all.
Old 3rd August, 2006, 10:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

WOW. Is the 7600GS AGP?

I want stock 3dmark scores and overclocked!

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 4th August, 2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
WOW. Is the 7600GS AGP?

I want stock 3dmark scores and overclocked!
Nay, PCI-e.

3dMark is too big for me to d/l on 56k. But you can check this review for 3dmark scores of a 7600GS with very similar speeds.

At stock, mine was 450/800. After o/c, it is 750/900. So the o/c speed is very close to the 7600GS in that review.
Old 5th August, 2006, 11:25 AM

Ok, I stopped being lazy and d/l'ed 3dmark03.

System specs are Sempron 2800+ @ 2.7Ghz & 512Mb RAM @ 225Mhz.

450 / 800: 9200

750 / 900: 10950