AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2002, 12:25 AM
eobard

prices for hydro parts

I'm hoping to get into watercooling before summer hits but I've no idea what the components I'll need will cost. Can I get some reasonable ranges for pump prices and radiator prices. I don't want to get burned (scalded?). Any stats that go with those prices would be useful too. Lemme know if you're talking Can or US dollars. Thanks.
Old 15th March, 2002, 03:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Pretty much you need a copper waterblock, just about any will be good, they range from like $30 to $50. You will need a relatively high volume pump with a relatively high head, the Danner mag-drive 250GPH@7ft pump is my personal choice, it goes for around $35. And you definately want a big automotive heatercore, they out perform every other comparatively sized radiator on the market, they will run you about $30 or so at an auto parts store.

All in US dollars of course.

So that means look at spending more than $130 Canookian coinage.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2002, 04:05 AM
eobard

Whats a good flow rate range for a pump? (min-max) And how do most pumps run? Off 120 from the wall?
Old 15th March, 2002, 04:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Do not buy watercooling kits. In Canada (E-Compuvision, a Toronto based store) has them for like 250-300 and more bucks. Not cheap, so build your own.

Btw, I don't know if you know this already, but there is a store called Princess Auto , where you can buy that kind of stuff for cheaper than Canadian Tire.
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2002, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Whats a good flow rate range for a pump? (min-max) And how do most pumps run? Off 120 from the wall?
You want more than just flow-rate(or "volume") you also want head(or "pressure"). Head is how many feet the pump can lift water. The greater the head, the more pressure, the more velocity the water gains when forced through a resticting orifice(IE small diameter hoses, or discharge nozels). Velocity is good as it helps convection.

200+ GPH is good, prices will vary depending on make and model. The Danner pumps have no seals to leak, no bearings to wear out, and only have one moving part, this makes them very reliable. I really would buy a Danner 250 If I were you. I own two of them, and they have given me no troubles. But whatever you do, don't run a mag-drive pump dry, they will be damaged if you do.

The pump will run off 110-120VAC at the wall outlet. You can buy a relay with a 12V DC coil to automatically switch the pump on when your ATX PSU kicks on if you like. I let my systems run 24/7 so I just plug the pump in and leave it run.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 15th March, 2002 at 06:08 AM.
Old 15th March, 2002, 06:31 AM
eobard

So what's a good range of feet the pump should be able to lift water?
Old 15th March, 2002, 07:40 AM

Quote:
So what's a good range of feet the pump should be able to lift water?
More is always good, but I say anything that can't lift water 5 feet is unacceptable.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th March, 2002, 10:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I picked up a pump that's capable of 250l/h at 2m(6.5f), or 1200l/h at 20cm. The pump has some interesting seals (read: needed a touch of work), but cost me about €35.

I haven't found anywhere that sells Danner pumps over here, or I'd would have taken a look.

AidanII
Old 16th March, 2002, 01:20 AM
eobard

Here's the most critical part: What fluid do I use when I cool? (remember my cat's well being is of paramount importance, no antifreeze)
Old 16th March, 2002, 03:55 PM
eobard

Quote:
Here's the most critical part: What fluid do I use when I cool? (remember my cat's well being is of paramount importance, no antifreeze)
Hello? Bump. I have to make sure that if there's a leak that 1) the cat won't want to drink whatever is leaking and 2) if he does drink it it won't kill him or even make him sick.
Old 16th March, 2002, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I use 90% distilled water, 5% bio-degratable non-toxic anti-freeze(to prevent corrosion), and 5% alcohol (to lower the surface tension of the water, which helps keep it free of bubbles on the surfaces responsible for convection). In parts that is 18 parts water, 1 part anti-freeze, 1 part alcohol. Some folks will recommend stronger mixtures(more anti-freeze or some ungodly amount of water-wetter), but I found that they didn't cool as well with my application.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th March, 2002, 02:02 AM
eobard

Just how non-toxic is non-toxic anti-freeze? If I've the choice between running hotter or risking coming home to find a pipe blew and my cat's in a coma I'll gladly run hotter.
Old 17th March, 2002, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Just how non-toxic is non-toxic anti-freeze?
It's safer than the stuff you use to give your cat a flea bath . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 17th March, 2002, 02:49 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
It's safer than the stuff you use to give your cat a flea bath . . .
He doesn't get flea baths he wears one of those collars that puts a chemical in his blood that's inert to cats but renders fleas sterile.
Old 20th March, 2002, 12:24 AM
eobard

I was in a place that had pumps for artifical ponds and yard fountains and such and I looked at one model and it had a rated pumping volume of 214 US gallons per hour and a lift height of 50 inches. The chart on the package showed that the higher the height the lower the volume so 214 gallons would have to be at an almost level setting. Would a pump with those stats be good enough or am I supposed to look for one that can move 214gph at a height of 50 inches?
Old 20th March, 2002, 02:24 AM

Sounds like a reasonable pump . . . a little bit bigger would be nice . . . but if that is what is readily available it will be fine . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 20th March, 2002, 02:42 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Sounds like a reasonable pump . . . a little bit bigger would be nice . . . but if that is what is readily available it will be fine . . .
Well it's only what I've found at the first place I've looked. I plan on checking all the places that sell large size aquarium pumps and small-medium pond pumps in my area before deciding. I've got time. Even with this years weather summer is still probably two weeks away.
Old 21st March, 2002, 10:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

The non toxic anti freeze should be fine. I had a neighbors dog eat the lid off a bottle of it and got into most of it and never was sick. I think the brand was like sierra aval at wal mart. And add that alcohol. I think denatured is the best kind to use because its very very pure. Just my opinion.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 22nd March, 2002, 01:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Poseidonf4
I went to my local home depot when it was not busy, and they had HUGE fountain pumps for like $75, and smaller ones for like $40 (USD) so I took one of the huge ones, and chucked it over the fence in the garden area, and drove around back and picked it up......... i'd recommend just going and "borrowing" one from Home Depot, just don't get caught
EXCUSE ME! You seem to have mistaken us for a den of thieves!!!
WERE ARE NOT! DO NOT post in these forums in this manner again or you will be gone!!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 22nd March, 2002 at 02:59 AM.
Old 23rd March, 2002, 01:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

So long!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic