AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2006, 01:10 AM

Arctic Cooling Accelero

Bottom Line – It Works.

I just spent the afternoon installing this unit onto my BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC card. Where I thought it was super cool, looks wise, the performance of the chrome dual fan aperatus was unacceptable. Why I stayed with the stock cooler for so long? I don’t know. Nerves maybe, for some it’s no small matter to go about voiding a lifetime warranty. I could’ve just let the BFG meltdown on its own down the road, but I’ve read a couple of anecdotal accounts elsewhere on the internet claiming that when this card goes down, it goes down swinging taking other key parts of the system with it.

I placed an order online and received it today. I prepped my computer for operation; went to the store and got some swabs and 99% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol to use when needed. The instructions provided by Arctic Cooling were satisfactory – but you’re best off doing a search online for any of the formal reviews that gave more detailed installation instructions (complete with photos). I proceeded to remove the card from its agp slot, unfastened the cooler, and cleaned the ram & core of the scant globs of paste hardened to the surface. I then took a break to let the room air out and the surfaces even after being wiped dry by tissue paper, to dry a little more. Isopropyl alcohol is flammable, I wasn’t about to unintentionally burn my house down in some freak mishap.

I came back for the second phase of the installation. Applying the ultra sticky 3M Thermalpads to the ram was a trial. They would stick to the tips of my fingers when the protective film of paper was removed. There’s no easy way about doing it, even with holding the pads at the edges, they’ll find a way to stick to your fingers whether you like it or not. Once that was done, I had to turn the Accelero face down then place the board on top of it, aligning the screw holes on both pieces together. Then I began screwing in the 9 screws fastening the cooler to the board. Once everything was nice and snug, but not too snug (didn’t want to crack the board or harm the core), I attached the fan to the power source on the board.

Now to the good stuff. The numbers, all of which are in Celsius (not Fahrenheit).

Idle:

76 degrees – Stock
58 degrees – Accelero X1

I’m not sure what to expect here. I can’t blame the scorching California heat for my temps, before and after, because right now while doing testing I have the air conditioning cranked up…maybe the more enlightened cooling masters on these boards know why my 6800GT runs so hot.

Load:

95 degrees – Stock
75 degrees – Accelero X1

Now this is where I wanted to see if the money and time spent was worth it. I played some rounds of cops and robbers in Need For Speed Most Wanted. This game literally punishes my card. I’ve never seen the card get so hot the way it does with this racer. FEAR, BF2, and any of the Source Engine games - I at most see temps up to 85-87 degrees at stock. I can live with the 21 degree drop in temperature and at least know my card isn’t going to collapse sooner than later.

Also impressive is just how quickly the card cools down. Every graphical intensive game I've thrown at it - it goes down to its 'default' temperature mighty quickly.

I don’t know if there’s a break-in period for a hardware upgrade like this. Like how you’d see temperatures decline overtime, say when applying Arctic Silver 5 to your cpu.

At this time I’m still impressed with the performance of the Accelero X1. It dropped 18 degrees at idle, and 20-ish under load. Add to that I immediately noticed less noise coming from my pc upon booting up. Couple those two positives with an easy install and low price – the Zalman vga cooler sells for $50 compared to the $30 I plopped down for this at newegg. A worthwhile investment.
Attached Images

Last edited by mongycore; 7th September, 2006 at 01:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2006, 02:46 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

It works yes.. but no exhaust so it's dumping all that hot air into your system. i hope your Case flow is up to it

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2006, 03:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

I bought this for my BFG 6800GT Overclocked..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186133

Dropped idle to 50 and load was around 68..