AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2006, 04:13 AM
Member/Contributer

After market cooling 7900GT

Anyone know where I can get a cheap(er) waterblock for my 7900gt when I get it? I'm going to conductive paint Vmod the core and I wanna try for 700mhz. Good cooling and a 1.5V mod will hopefully do it.

I've read that a waterblock isn't necissary, and I wouldn't mind not going through the trouble of hooking it into the loop if I don't have to, does anyone know of a good (cheap) aftermarket cooler for the 7900's? I read arctic silencers work, but they don't make a 7900 one, something about a 7600 model AC worked...anyone else heard this?
Old 28th September, 2006, 06:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to bonesaw

check this out http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool...elist_eng.html for the vf700 zalman
g. skill 6400 5-5-5-15-2t 4 gigs
Evga 450 gts
Thermaltake Armor
Ocz700w
300gb Seagate ide + Seagate 750gb sata
Logitech thx 5300 5.1
Acer 19' wide al1916w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2006, 04:19 PM

I have the Acetal Version MAZE4GPU from Danger Den on both of my 7900 GTs. They are pretty cheap compared to most other blocks. But they don't cool the ram. You get ram heat syncs though. If I had to do it again I would go for the brass top version however for 5 bucks more.
Attached Thumbnails
After market cooling 7900GT-cardz.jpg  

E8400 @ 3.92 / ASUS P5Q SE/R / MSI 8800GT / OCZ DDR2 1066 / VelociRaptor 150G

P4 3.2 Prescott running at 3.45 / 2G ram / 8800GT / 3dmark03 31345

Alienware 7700 Laptop P4 HT 2.4ghz 1G ram 17"screen

HTPC Silverstone Case / A64 3200 / 2G ram / 7900GTX / Hauppauge PVR250 / Thermaltake Big TyphoonHSF

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2006, 04:49 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

for air, check out the thermalright HR-03.
Old 6th October, 2006, 07:26 PM
Member/Contributer

yup, i had that postesd on the front page! I'm going to do a review when I get it, I might not have pics right away, but I'll try my best! Thanks guys!
Old 11th October, 2006, 10:39 PM
Member/Contributer

So I recieved my HR-03 today. My first impression was good. I thought that it was of good quality and it appeared to be about as big as I had imagined.

My experience today, has been less than good as a result of this arrival.

After taking out my 7900gt I looked at the screws and realized I had no screwdriver that could turn these TINY screws! Thanks XFX! So I went to my classroom(computer technology room) and looked for a proper screwdriver. I grabbed the only one I could find that even remotely looked like it would do the trick. I got back to my apt(its raining out...) and I tried it out...nothing. I couldn't get the driver in the head. Luckily my roommate woke up(1pm), and he had one that somehow fit. After getting it off I set to work installing this beast.

For those of you who don't know, this cooler can be installed 2 ways. One is making a cooler sandwich out of it, putting the heatpipes around the card, and mounting the fan upwards, towards where the heatsink on the cpu is. The other is to just slap the heatplate onto the card and hover the radiator part above(below) the cpu, like the xp-90 I have on my CPU. Ideally I wanted to run it in the former configuration, but once I had the thing together(finally...more on that in a second), the 92mm fan I bought was about 8mm too thick and butted against my xp90. So as a word of caution, BUY A SLIM 92mm fan if you want to run it blowing up at ur CPU fan.

So my problems with the installation might be my own stupidity, but I had a hard time getting the thing mounted because it requires 3 hands to work with, and I only had two(I'm still working on that part). After struggling and body contortions to figure out how to manipulate this contraption, I got it on the card and fired it up. I immediatly checked the temps, because obviously thats the best way to verify a proper installation. Much to my chagrin, the temps were an in-your-face-idiot 92oC IDLE. I yoinked the power cable and set to work to find the problem. I re-applied the thermal compound, retightend everything(my thumbs are torn up now as a result), and put it back in. Apon checking temperatures I saw 60idle >: ( this is not working! So I pulled the card out and examined the rubber washers between the thumbscrews and the mounting plate. They were smooshed out the side of the screw! I torqued them down so strong they were no longer applying pressure to the plate!

I took the whole deal apart ONCE MORE (we're on hour 3 here), reapplied thermal compound, and tightend, snugly but not maniacal, the screws. The card now rests in my systems functioning at 48 1/2oC which is roughly what stock gave me. The suprise is when running RTHDRIBL for a few seconds, like 5, the temperature climbs faster than I've ever seen temps climb on a video card, all the way up to 78! Now this isn't unsafe for the card at all, but my stock cooler ran under 70!!! When the demo is done being ran, the temperature QUICKLY drops to idle! I've never seen temps drop that fast! So I guess its still not making good contact. I guess my next course of action is to remove the rubber shroud included in the installation kit and just use common sense when to stop tightening. OR perhaps remove the rubber gromets from the screws. Either way should allow for proper tightening and good contact.

I am convinced this cooler will perform amazingly when instaled correctly, but until that happens it will suffer. I have to say this product is a great choice for cooling, but the installation has been quite a hassel for me. I say this and I've even installed a thermaltake giant III cooler, which was no walk in the park. However once installed that cooler cooled QUITE well. I encourage anyone who wants good cooling on thier cards to try this thing out. You probably won't have as much trouble as I've had with it. I'll post more later, and pics if I can get my hands on a digital camera. This thing looks REALLY nice in my system with my xp90.

Last edited by XeroHouR; 11th October, 2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11th October, 2006, 10:51 PM

MOunting issues. I have the same with the chipset heatsinks...they only included one bracket for Intel chipset loops that uses kitty-cornered loops...and those loops aren't even on my board!

I hope you get it sorted...that heatsink should be great!

Last edited by cadaveca; 11th October, 2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11th October, 2006, 10:52 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
kitty-cornered loops
I thought only people in Indiana used that expression, and its Catty-corner LOL. What ever happend to diagonal!
Old 8th November, 2006, 08:15 PM
Member/Contributer

well I finally vmodded the card, after installing it better. she idles at 40ish, and after my vmod the load temps are still pushing 100oC at 610/850! Hmm I might want to back down a bit, maybe go back to the 1.4Vmod since 610 isn't good for a 1.5Vmod... the ram does 900 like cake though with hardly any core overclock.

Its not artifacting in ATiTool, but it is pushing 100 degrees. Does anyone think this is way to hot? Do I have to go get watercooling now ()?

Last edited by XeroHouR; 8th November, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 8th November, 2006, 09:56 PM

anything over 90c is a wee bit hot, and not for the gpu, but for the solder that holds it onto the pcb, as well as teh pcb itself. If anything, look at getting some xtra airflow across the heatsink adn see what that does.

If it's got a good warranty, then i say "LET 'ER BURN BABY"!
Old 8th November, 2006, 10:21 PM
Member/Contributer

LOL It is under warentee, but I'm not up for the down time, I've got CS matches I have to play in! It turns out it only goes to about 100oC when running ATiTool. I've alt-tabbed out of CS after an hour or more of playing and it stays at 70 degrees or so, which I can't say is bad. I'm going to look into better cooling(maybe water on the GPU), and see if I can push it to 650 or better, the ram is about 900 and that is more than enough imo
Old 8th November, 2006, 10:27 PM

"So live and let die"