AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2006, 03:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Chipset Temperature

Hi all,
i've just managed to get my HR-05 SLI chipset cooler installed and i'm a little worried about the temperature. Now, bearingin mind that it's a NF4 SLI chipset, i know it's bound to get hot and the HR-05 SLI is a passive cooler. But what is the ideal temperature it should be at idle? At the moment, the case temp sensore measures the top surface of the heatsink as roughly 50C. On top of the base is cooler though(about 47). surely this is a good sign. Have i got anything to be worried about or is everything OK?

I had to mount my HDD's backwards in order to get the cooler to fit (push pin placement, fastening placement, etc.). Makes it look tidier but now they are only fastened with 2 thumbscrews!

Thanks,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th October, 2006, 03:48 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

60C is ok. It will affect clocking of the chip, but should not damage it. It simply won't work well @ high frequencies. I got much lower temps, and I did havea thermal probe attached to the fins and the base when testing to verify that the reported temps were somewhat accurate. I'd be checking your mount, and making sure you used some AS5....using the paste that comes with it will increase temps by abt 8c, or so I found.

Toss up a pic of your board, iff'n ya can...maybe it's something else affecting temps.

My current board is cooled on the northbridge by the HR-05SLI, and the southbridge by the regular HR-05.

Last edited by cadaveca; 26th October, 2006 at 03:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th October, 2006, 04:16 PM

Well, i've just loosely attached an 80mm fan and found that the temp is about 31 at idle in the center of the heatsink so it's like a 20C drop which is always good. The fan is running in 7.5v mode so i can't even hear it. Come to think of it, i can't even hear my PC when i've got the windows open and the wind is just blowing in.

I did use AS5 as i couldn't get the tube of the other stuff open . I don't know whether there's something wrong, but even though the cooler is mounted properly, i can swivel it round without too much trouble (even though there is that little dot in the centre of the base), but it doesn't swivel on it's own so i'm not worried.

Anyway, piccies. My camera relly sucks since it won't let me take close long range shots with the light on and it goes blorrier the closer i get. But i've circled the heatsink base (it's behind the fan in one of the images so just look for the red circle).

EDIT: oh yeah, it looks like my CPU fan isn't moving, but it's actually running at 60%.
Attached Thumbnails
Chipset Temperature-img_001222.jpg   Chipset Temperature-img_001332.jpg   Chipset Temperature-img_001442.jpg  

Last edited by skool h8r; 26th October, 2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 26th October, 2006, 04:26 PM

It's not mounted properly...should be sitting just above your vidcard, parallel to the vidcard's pcb. You then use the zipties to keep the heatsink from touching the vidcard.
Old 26th October, 2006, 04:47 PM

Well that's actually not possible because the placement of the fins is in direct line with the graphics card if i do that. With the fan, it's pretty cool and very quiet. At this moment in time, i hate Epox's design team because it is the worst place to put a chipset. I mean, it's a brilliant performing board and there's no bottlenecks anywhere (which would explain why my system seems to perform higher than expected), but it's just the way they arranged it.

I'm gonna run a few games through it and see what temp i get then.

Old 26th October, 2006, 04:50 PM

Not EPoX at fault...got the same isues with my boards. In fact i simply went 180 90 degress south of what you did, so the "radiator" was on the bottom, adn the chipset mount up top. I figured that this would be the worst possible way to mount it, so should be the best way to test.

I also found that having it facing as you do, the heatsink will get alot of heated air from the front of the case...heated by the HDD's. But it looks like you got this covered in your pics.

You don't even have 1/2 a millimeter of space between the heatsink and vidcard? that's all that is needed, but I found i was in teh same boat as you with the A8N Sli...

Last edited by cadaveca; 26th October, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 26th October, 2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
You don't even have 1/2 a millimeter of space between the heatsink and vidcard? that's all that is needed, but I found i was in teh same boat as you with the A8N Sli...
No, it lines up directly with the card. And changing it means i'd have to get stressed again, taking it all apart again. Plus it may still turn out to be too hot. At 37C under load (in the centre of the heatsink) (Quake 4 at high (would go ultra high but i doubt i can run it) with 2xaa at 1280x1024). Even though res is mostly GPU based, i dare say that it should cause the chipset to heat a little more than it would at a lower res. There's also another advantage to it being mounted that way, it blows air onto the HDD's as well. Not very much, but still, every little helps i guess.

Last edited by skool h8r; 26th October, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 27th October, 2006, 02:59 PM

Why the need for a new chipset cooler? My 9npaj chipset cooler makes no noise whatsoever. Maybe the bearings in your's were worn away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 30th October, 2006, 06:35 PM

My original chipset fan always made a lot of noise. First it rattled a lot at startup, then it just became irritating. Did a good job but just too moisy. With my new cooler, i can download things overnight (FEARCombat and other large files) without having to stay awake and without my parents telling me to switch it off. It's also set to standby or completely shut down after it's finished downloading. If i set my CPU fan to 60%, then usually the whole PC is about 25Db at most. Before, it was about 45Db so not exactly quiet.