AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th November, 2006, 11:01 AM

Extra fan's

Hi guys

Some of you may know about my girlfrends PC problems as it keeps locking up after a while, over the weekend I downloaded 3Dmark06 and a temp monitor. Although her PC scored 7900ish in the test he gfx card's temp went from 56oC to 98oC! I think this may be why her PC is slowing down when she is gaming an finaly shuting down as the Nforce4 chip is right between the 2 gfx cards and so must also be getting quite toasty!

With her case she has a grill abover her gfx cards however there are no fan mounting points there, I do have a spare 80mm fan that I was going to mount in there but not sure on the best way. There is not enough clearence to drill holes, I was thinking of some strong double sided sticky foam or I have some sticky loopholes that I can use and then tie the fan to them using cable ties. Idealy I would get her a new case with better cooling but as xmas is coming up I really cant afford it as I have already got her a Wii.

Any cheap ideas would be cool (pardan the pun)
Old 27th November, 2006, 11:33 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

If you have a scarp of metal you could fashion a fan mounting bracket and attach it to the case. I definatly wouldn't go drilling holes in my mobo though! If that is what you meant

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2006, 12:05 PM

ah sorry meant about drilling holes in the case
Old 27th November, 2006, 12:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Carefully cut a hole in the case at the point where the fan will blow right on the cards and the chipset. This should cool them all. You would be better off with a bigger fan. A 120mm would be great. They are quite cheap. You can use a CD for the hole template. Mark out you hole location. Drill a hole next to your line and then use a jig saw to finish out your cut. You may want to use masking tape to cover where your going to cut before you mark and cut your hole.

Good luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!