AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th December, 2006, 06:02 PM

Huge Discrepancy Between Different Software Temperature Monitors

As you can see in the screenshot, gigabyte easytune 5 reports my CPU temperature as 24 degrees, but CoreTemp reads it as 39 and 36 degrees for the different cores.

Which is correct? Is there even an easy way to find out? Can anyone recommend any better temperature monitors, motherboard monitor 5 doesn't seem to work with my board.

I'm running an E6400 at 3.4GHz, with a zalman 9700 HSF and decent case air flow. Motherboard is the gigabyte DS3.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Discrepancy Between Different Software Temperature Monitors-tempdiscretion.jpg  
Old 12th December, 2006, 06:07 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Assuming the PC health app. comes with the motherboard, it could be reading the temperatures off a sensor under the CPU socket, while the other could be reading from the Cores themselves. Either that or one/theother/both have the temperatures callibrated incoreectly

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2006, 06:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
As you can see in the screenshot, gigabyte easytune 5 reports my CPU temperature as 24 degrees, but CoreTemp reads it as 39 and 36 degrees for the different cores.

Which is correct? Is there even an easy way to find out? Can anyone recommend any better temperature monitors, motherboard monitor 5 doesn't seem to work with my board.

I'm running an E6400 at 3.4GHz, with a zalman 9700 HSF and decent case air flow. Motherboard is the gigabyte DS3.
There isn't any real way to tell that I know of.

See, here's the problem.

The temp sensors are band-gap devices (basically, transistors with the base connected to the collector so that they function as a diode). In theory, these can be highly accurate temperature sensing devices, but to make them so, you have to take two measurements using two sensing currents that are about an order of magnitude different, and then apply a complex forumla to calculate the ideality (how consistently the device behaves). Once you've done all of that, you can get temp measurements that are accurate to within .5C or better.

Nobody does that.

This isn't the fault of the software, though. The hardware monitors that everyone uses (typically on the Winbond Super I/O chip, or equivalent) doesn't have the ability to provide the necessary sense currents to perform the calculations. So, the mobo vendors take a SWAG at calculating the ideality factor and apply an offset in the BIOS temp reading and their Windows-based monitor. Other tools like MBM and CoreTemp basically just give you the raw readout from the temp sensor.

Long and short, unless you want to make some mods to the mobo and write your own software, you aren't going to get an absolute temp measurement that is better than about +/- 10C from actual. However, for RELATIVE measurements, they are still pretty reliable. That is to say that if you read a certain temp under certain conditions, and then you change the HSF, and read a temp that is 2 or 3 degrees hotter or colder, it's pretty safe to assume that the new HSF really did make a 2 or 3 degree difference in your temps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2006, 06:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

That is usually the only reason I look at temps any more. If I change a setup or fan I can see the net gain...or loss.

I just added a WB to my video card again the other night. Got a drop of about 11-15C. Everest tells me 39C core and nVidia tells me 43 Core. Both are the same amount from their stock reading and either would be fine.
Old 12th December, 2006, 06:59 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

use intel's thermal analysis tool (Tat) the only tool i trust to read my cpu temperature properly. Since the beta app that reads higher and is reading each cpu seperatly, i'd go with that one is more accurate and probably uses the intel code to read the on die sensor
Old 12th December, 2006, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

For me Everest reads right in line with TAT. But I have to go with Samuknow. They serve well when dealing with relative temps, But I have no idea what actual temps are.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th December, 2006, 11:53 PM

Most temp readings use the same sensors as the bios and everything starts at room temperature so why not start from there...

Check room temp, then bios on the first boot, then the chassis temp and cpu temps on a monitor program - they should only be a few degrees out at first.

My (quiet) cooling on a AMD64 3200 gives me 26 room/33 chassis/46 cpu on web work but its all about a degree apart on startup (26/26/27).

I use speedfan which works quite well one you work out which sensor is which !

Last edited by JimF; 17th December, 2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 16th December, 2006, 06:48 PM

Ok, I downloaded TAT and I definately don't trust those temperatures either. With 100% workload on both cores the temperatures supposedly reach over 60 degrees celcius. I opened up my case and felt the fins on my heatsink, they just about feel warmer than room temperature, so unless there's something wrong with the contact between the heatsink and the CPU, it can't possibly be that hot. Also the temperature drops by 12 degrees the very second I stop stressing the CPU, that can't be right, can it?
Old 16th December, 2006, 08:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Start up Everest stress or TAT or Prime, any STRESS test and I see similar temps. Temps BTW I will never see in actual use. Stress testing pushes your cores to their max...your going to see a bit of heat generated... ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 16th December, 2006, 10:03 PM

I don't see similar temps. Prime95 set to only use core 0 pushes the temp to about 53, TAT puts it at 60. I used TAT in both scenarios to measure the temps.

wtf?
Old 16th December, 2006, 11:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Here's the deal. Your HS fins should be warm for it to be working. If if is cool to the touch you might want to reseat the unit. Heat is transfered from the CPU to the HSF.
Old 17th December, 2006, 05:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

If you know you have a good seat on your sync, just feel of it. Ask your self..... would I like to be that hot or not?? Adjust OC accordingly. Atleast thats the way I have done it sense I started doin it on my g3 power mac.

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Old 17th December, 2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
Ok, I downloaded TAT and I definately don't trust those temperatures either. With 100% workload on both cores the temperatures supposedly reach over 60 degrees celcius. I opened up my case and felt the fins on my heatsink, they just about feel warmer than room temperature, so unless there's something wrong with the contact between the heatsink and the CPU, it can't possibly be that hot. Also the temperature drops by 12 degrees the very second I stop stressing the CPU, that can't be right, can it?
This is what I see on my machine and what I'd expect from recent processors with power saving technology - also shows your cooling is working fairly well !
Old 17th December, 2006, 07:13 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Some of the more modern air cooling heatsinks (especially those with heat pipes) work on a low delta T principal. This means the whole setup is designed to run as close to ambient temperature as possible by using very high solid to air surface area. My Zalman 9500 used to keep my core 2 fairly cool whilst hardly getting warm at itself even with the fan off (to burn in the thermal contact).

Such rapid temperature changes are abit far fetched, the power difference between fully loaded and idle however on these core 2's is substantial,
overclocked and loaded my cpu's disspate some 135w, idle its probably more like 35w. Since temperature above ambient is proportional to thermal power a large drop is to be expected.

The total delta T of my water cooled system (if TAT is to be believed) is only 30C to ambient air when fully loaded. It was a cold night last night as my cpu cooled down to around 30-31C (ambient air was as good as 0C) now this afternoon is around 10C outside my cpu has warmed up to 40C. The sun has gone and temps have started to fall again, its apparently 6C outside now and my cpu temp has dropped to 37C.

This is a very linear response which is to be expected with my cooling system. (120mm rad and a double 120mm rad) Where ambient temperature is my limiting factor.
Old 17th December, 2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF
Most temp readings use the same sensors as the bios and everything starts at room temperature so why not start from there...

Check room temp, then bios on the first boot, then the chassis temp and cpu temps on a monitor program - they should only be a few degrees out at first.

My (quiet) cooling on a AMD64 3200 gives me 26 room/33 chassis/46 cpu on web work but its all about a degree apart on startup (26/26/27).

I use speedfan which works quite well one you work out which sensor is which !
Is it me or is that hot? My PC is about 10 degrees cooler, both for CPU and System - and I have a very similar Venice 3000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 18th December, 2006, 01:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Depends on what you're used to. I find 25 to be quite livable, 20 is coolish, and 35 is starting to get a little warm.
Old 18th December, 2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
Is it me or is that hot? My PC is about 10 degrees cooler, both for CPU and System - and I have a very similar Venice 3000.
Depends on your room temp to start with and then air throughput. With quiet fans I have around 20 degrees headroom before the 65 degree max...

Last edited by JimF; 18th December, 2006 at 10:23 PM.