AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th December, 2006, 03:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ultimate_death

Fan setup -with crude diagrams!

My old fans started to get even noisier than before, so i've ordered some replacements and i may as well sort out my case when i put them in.

The main thing i'm worried about is my cpu fan is drawing from the back of the graphics card, i believe i thought at some point, this would be a good idea to help cool the graphics card... Should it really draw from the front to back (right to left on diagram thingy) or what?

Also at the moment, i've got the front and side taking in air and the back exhausting. I've got far more going in (2 x 120mm + 1 x 80mm = 180cfm) than going out (rubbish 120mm+ 2 x silent 80mm = 100cfm). I think its meant to balance, so do i need to flip some fans over?

Thanks for anyone who helps and can work out what i'm on about.

Here, coutesy of paint, is a vague idea of what its like now:
Attached Thumbnails
Fan setup -with crude diagrams!-case-a.jpg  
Old 19th December, 2006, 03:47 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Basically for most setups the two rear fans, PSU fan and a single 120mm at the front will suffice...often better results are achieved not by having loads of fans to lower the ambient temperature but rather by ensuring thermal contact with heatsinks is good and that there are no "dead spots" in the case where heat gathers...for example in between the graphics card and the PCI cards.

My case for example has one rear fan and the PSU fan as it is a larger case this is more than sufficient all fans are thermally controlled by the m/b so it can be silent 99% of the time and it will bump them up to full if need be.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2006, 05:26 PM

It might be an idea, if you have room, to fit 120mm fans on the 80mm fittings using adaptors. The higher CFM and lower noise is advantageous.

I have a 120mm PSU fan, 120mm Intake at the front, 120mm Intake on the side and a 120mm Exhaust. My Case Temp at this moment of time is 26 Celsius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2006, 05:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Another thing, try to have more air in than out. This will increase case pressure and reduce said dead spots and also help with dust buildup...
Old 19th December, 2006, 08:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm pretty sure that i've got most spots covered, and i've got maximum gaps between my pci slots already. I did look into a 80->120mm converter thingy but it won't fit, not even on one of them... .

Another thing i've noticed though, is that i've got most the blanking plates left out. Will putting them in actually contorl the air better/give more pressure? because i'm going to have to buy some blanking plates if it does...

Last edited by Ultimate_death; 19th December, 2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 19th December, 2006, 08:49 PM

It is better to control your air flow.
Old 19th December, 2006, 10:54 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, put the plates in. Otherwise, you may end up with warm air being recycled back in to the case. Lack of plates always seems to encourage dust.
Old 20th December, 2006, 03:58 PM

Well, i turned the cpu fan, changed the noisy fans and put the back plates in. Now i'm down to <38'C at full load on both cores I still need to buy some artic silver though, i was forced to use generic rubbish

Guess that means i can start folding again...

Thanks again, i think the plates did actually make a difference, which i wasn't really expecting....
Old 9th January, 2007, 06:08 PM

JMO, but I would also pull that IDE HDD down if you can...you have no airflow across it at all..

Current Build:
Epox 570 SLi
AMD X2 5200+
Corsair 2x 1028 XMS
EVGA 7600GT KO (x2) in SLi
Lite On DVD Burner
Lite On CD Burner
Zip 250
Floppy/media card reader
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
21" Gateway Widescreen Monitor
Logitech 5.1 surround sound
Logitech Laser Keyboard/Mouse wireless combo
Old 10th January, 2007, 05:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Just a suggestion, at least I am in your same position. Take the two exhaust fans off of the back of your case, and make a air tunnel that goes to around 1/2 of your psu's 120mm fan, also get a good fan controller and a high cfm 92mm for your heatsync. This little setup droped my full load 2 deg C. Fixing to update my sig to reflect.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (576.1 KB, 316 views)

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Old 10th January, 2007, 07:08 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Lightbulb

Argh jpeg man! jpeg!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 10th January, 2007, 08:01 PM

d16man- my picture's somewhat inaccurate there, and the lower fan blows a bit of air across the hardrive. Tbh i don't really care about the IDE drive but i might move it down below right next to the sata drive next time i switch stuff around. I'm worried about stopping the 6800gt getting enough air because it's somewhat inefficient temperature wise...

captinhector- I did consider doing a duct once but my case is too small really. Not because of the overall size, but the layout means there is not room to fit a duct. I've been trying to pick up a chieftec dragon full tower for 680cm tall giantness on a buget.

Btw, have you got 80mm fans tacked onto the side of your psu or something? because that looks class...
Old 10th January, 2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
Argh jpeg man! jpeg!

broadband man broadband....

Just kidding....
Old 11th January, 2007, 12:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Yes, there are two on the side of my psu, when I added the cpu's heat and air flow, the single fan(that came with the psu) didn't have enough of a motor on it to push out all that air. I just put on another one, so it would then have enough power to compete with all that head pressure, and voila it works!
Attached Thumbnails
Fan setup -with crude diagrams!-100_0286.jpg  

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com

Last edited by captinhector; 11th January, 2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12th January, 2007, 11:00 AM

My setup uses PSU with 120mm fan, 1x 120mm fan at rear removing air, a CPU duct from the side of the case - cold air straight to the CPU, PCI slot blanking plates one above and one below the GPU removed, upper slot allows air to hit northbridge (passive cooled) and lower draws air across GPU (passive cooled). 3 x HDD at lower front in front of air intake (space for 120mm fan but not fitted.

Always make sure that the PSU is not starved of air with this setup and that the air flow at rear of case is not recirculating, nice and quiet though (except for the Cheetahs, but I can live with that).

components:
Gigabyte DS3 MB
6300 Core2 Duo @3.22GHZ stock cooler, stock voltage.
Gigabyte 7600GS passive not yet OC,
2 x 18gb 15K Seagate Cheetah, Intel SRCU32 128MB, RAID0
1x200GB Samsung