AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th February, 2007, 10:50 AM

BIOS vs CORETEMP: Which Temperature Reading should I trust?

Hey guys,

I'm a little confused... I have a 3500+ Venice DH-E6 and I'm kinda confused as to what temp monitoring tool and what temp should I be worried about.

Everest 2007 (beta) reads my CPU idle temp at 37C and reads my CPU Diode at 45C...

CORETemp reads my CPU idle temp at 45C

Speedfan also reads my CPU Idle temp at 45C

My bios on the other hand reads my CPU Idle temp at also 37C

Which is really which.. I dunno and it's really starting to annoy me since my OC is stable at 2.5ghz as well as at 2.6ghz and run prime95 torture test for hours already. Help me out guys...

Also if you could be so kind and tell me what are is the maximum temperature the Venice DH-E6 cpus can handle??

BTW If this info helps.. My motherboard is an EPOX 9NDA3J

Last edited by ojpd; 17th February, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2007, 12:04 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Hmm looks like you have two sets of readings, one set at 37*C the other at 45*C.

Now I would suggest that the 37*C reading is coming from the thermal diode a lot of motherboards have underneath the socket on the motherboard. While the 45*C one is probably being taken from the CPU itself.

Just a guess though, I'm not 100% up to speed on your hardware

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2007, 12:39 PM

The attached gives the precise info - you'd need the OPN(part number) to be sure but I think the Venice 3000, 3200 and 3500 have a max recommended case temp of 65c.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30430.pdf

You'd see some variation as the various programs have to guess at sensor purpose and offsets - how do you get the bios reading ? (if its at startup then I'd expect it to be low). 45 looks about right for normal use although any readings are relative to room temperature - my 3200 goes up to around the mid 50s when I give it a little more work to do.
Old 17th February, 2007, 05:06 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

as long as you are below 65c don't worry about it. If you must, takethe highest temp reported, and call it safe.
Old 18th February, 2007, 06:26 AM

According to Everest 2007 the CPU Diode reading is idling at 47c and when I run prime95 for a few hours it could reach around 55c-56c... Thanks guys and thanks for giving me info about your 3200's idle and load temps jimf..

If 65C is the maximum and I go around 55c-56c LOAD I guess it's a little hot but still safe. Right???

Again thanks u guys.

Last edited by ojpd; 18th February, 2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 22nd February, 2007, 11:49 AM

core temp