AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 4th October, 2001, 08:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Glaciator "Hack"

Before anyone asks, No I havn't had the chance to test this yet. But look what Jeff came up with. I'll let y'all know the improvement when I get around to the testing. (Stupid auto focus on the camera focused on my backyard, and not the hsf, so excuse the fuziness)
Attached Thumbnails
Glaciator "Hack"-mvc-009f.jpg  

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2001, 08:32 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

is that twin fans???? for it to be any good you need a stator to straighten the flow to the second fan, otherwise it will basically windmill..... ther are some calculations to do it correctly i can look em up if u want...
Old 4th October, 2001, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
is that twin fans???? for it to be any good you need a stator to straighten the flow to the second fan, otherwise it will basically windmill..... ther are some calculations to do it correctly i can look em up if u want...
You gotta realize that the second fan is not acting entirely like an axel flow fan, it is partially acting as a blower because it lacks a shroud . . . .

Edit: One of those "focused flow fans" (actually they are more of an axal flow compressor) would surely be the ticket for a setup such as this . . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 4th October, 2001 at 09:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2001, 09:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

I considered doing something like this when I got my glaciator but on a slot one system it blocks 2 dimms

Old 5th October, 2001, 12:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

According to a recent Front Page article at Ocer's.com, the Glaciator does very well with its stock fan. I wonder if it would be APITA to mount a fandapter and a relatively quiet 80 or 92mm on top of it? I'm waiting for Fall to really set in, then I'm thinking about putting a 50 cfm 80mm on the Vantec all Al HS that's on my Duron. Maybe not, on reflection. But the Delta 38 IS getting mighty annoying..

Candidly, I'm afraid to use my Glaciator. The thing is SO heavy that it just....seems more appropriately used as a small boat anchor. There was a time when PEP-66's seemed heavy.
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
According to a recent Front Page article at Ocer's.com, the Glaciator does very well with its stock fan. I wonder if it would be APITA to mount a fandapter and a relatively quiet 80 or 92mm on top of it? I'm waiting for Fall to really set in, then I'm thinking about putting a 50 cfm 80mm on the Vantec all Al HS that's on my Duron. Maybe not, on reflection. But the Delta 38 IS getting mighty annoying..

Candidly, I'm afraid to use my Glaciator. The thing is SO heavy that it just....seems more appropriately used as a small boat anchor. There was a time when PEP-66's seemed heavy.
It does work really well with it's stock fan, it's the best option if you don't want noise in my opinion. As for the weight, I don't think this is a problem unless you have a cheap socket or you transport the case a lot.

Old 5th October, 2001, 12:35 AM

I just powered that baby up on my bench top 12V PSU, and I thought a Delta38 by itself was loud, that thing sounds like a leaf blower!!!!!!

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I just powered that baby up on my bench top 12V PSU, and I thought a Delta38 by itself was loud, that thing sounds like a leaf blower!!!!!!
The glaciator fan? you sure as in my case when it's powered by the psu it's much quieter than a delta, on the heatsink it's even quieter than a 26cfm ys-tech.

Old 5th October, 2001, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil

The glaciator fan? you sure as in my case when it's powered by the psu it's much quieter than a delta, on the heatsink it's even quieter than a 26cfm ys-tech.
No no no, the stacked fans as seen in the photo above are louder than hell! I'm going to see about an 80mm fandapter, a Sunon 50CFM 80mm fan paired with the stock fan and some quick and dirty duct work should be a killer system for air cooling. But it still will never compair to my watercooling . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 01:03 AM

Quote:
No no no, the stacked fans as seen in the photo above are louder than hell! I'm going to see about an 80mm fandapter, a Sunon 50CFM 80mm fan paired with the stock fan and some quick and dirty duct work should be a killer system for air cooling. But it still will never compair to my watercooling . . . .
Yeah but for people that can't afford watercooling or don't want to undertake it the glaciator offers near water cooling performance at low noise levels as long as you have teh case cooling for it

Old 5th October, 2001, 01:08 AM

Hey Jeff, Is the stock fan removable? Have you already pondered removing it and creating a shroud around the top 1/3 of the sink w/ just the Delta?

It would surely cut down on the noise. And with either the delta or a fan adapter, you 'd have a clear path to the sink. Just food for thought!
Old 5th October, 2001, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Hey Jeff, Is the stock fan removable? Have you already pondered removing it and creating a shroud around the top 1/3 of the sink w/ just the Delta?

It would surely cut down on the noise. And with either the delta or a fan adapter, you 'd have a clear path to the sink. Just food for thought!
Yeah it's removable but part of what makes it work so well is it being set into the sink so it would require some modding of the delta to get the best results.

Old 5th October, 2001, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Yeah but for people that can't afford watercooling
Hehe, now that's funny! Know how much I spent on my first watercooling rig? $35, yup $35, that's cheaper than a Glaciator and all that Case cooling. Of course it wasn't a good rig as far as watercooling goes, but it was better than any aircooling solution I've seen to date . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Hehe, now that's funny! Know how much I spent on my first watercooling rig? $35, yup $35, that's cheaper than a Glaciator and all that Case cooling. Of course it wasn't a good rig as far as watercooling goes, but it was better than any aircooling solution I've seen to date . . . .
Well you came accross some real bargains there then. The current crop of copper coolers that are pretty inexpensive are giving c/w's of like 0.20 and less which is about as good as a low end watercooling rig

Old 5th October, 2001, 06:54 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

hey jeff i realise its acting SLIGHTLY as an axial, what i didnt notice is that the top one is a delta!!! that will straighten the air well enough....

still nothing beats a centrifugal blower !!! at the size of computer fans they are way more efficient... i might be able to use a turbo compressor and make a snail housing for it.... strap a nice electric motor onto it and blast crazy amounts of air through the heatsink
Old 5th October, 2001, 07:26 PM

Quote:
i might be able to use a turbo compressor and make a snail housing for it.... strap a nice electric motor onto it and blast crazy amounts of air through the heatsink
Beware, turbo chargers and the like have oil bearings, they require constant oil preassure, the impeller shaft actually floats on oil. You will need to come up with some type of ballbearing conversion for it. And I suggest you steer clear of backward curve impellers, go for the straight cut variety.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2001, 07:48 PM

dimm i know what im on about with turbo's i wouldnt THINK of using regular bearings, regular shaft or anything!!! i wont need proper lubrication, grease will do as i plan to rev it to about 50 000 RPM maximum... any more and im likely to rip the heatsink apart.... rearward curve wont effect the thing at all.... in fact i gotta use one like it anyway, as its the only type i can get my hands on for free.... but it may be going into a model jet engine, a friend of mine has a KJ66 model jet.... uses a KKK 2038 compressor on a stainless steel shaft, driven by an axial turbine.... with a lower compression compressor we over revved it got pressure to almost 2 bars and blew all the casing screws out! with the 2038 it should be about 2 bar most of the time, so gonna make sure the screws are tight!
Old 5th October, 2001, 07:54 PM

Well I know a little bit about turbo chargers myself, I've used them more than a few times for various projects at the shop. However, I've never done the home made jet engine thing . . . . sounds like you know enough to get through this fine without me mucking up your plans . . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 5th October, 2001 at 08:07 PM.
Old 5th October, 2001, 07:58 PM

hey email me and i'll send u pics etc of the engine, and the one im being leant to makea VERY VERY fast RC plane. also if u feel like it i can tell u how to make a simple gas turbine... or give you ISBN number for some books on it, really interesting stuff, and GREAT to scare the neighbours.....
Old 5th October, 2001, 08:13 PM

Quote:
with a lower compression compressor we over revved it got pressure to almost 2 bars and blew all the casing screws out! with the 2038 it should be about 2 bar most of the time, so gonna make sure the screws are tight!
I wouldn't think 30psi to be a problem, I put three times that in my truck's tires, why would such a small ammount of preassure cause the screws to blow out?

AOA Team fah