AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2007, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to kadu07 Send a message via MSN to kadu07

Heatsink recommendations

Hello again
Just decided to get a new heatsink since mine is aboslutly too loud. Wondering which one to get. Heard a a few names like ThermalTake, Arctic Cooling and Asaka. Dont know which ones the best one for cooling and less noise. I have a P4 socket 775. A bit confused tbh. Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Old 23rd February, 2007, 06:28 PM
Member/Contributer

If you're cooling a prescott you're not really gonna get away with passive cooling but you can still make it quieter. First things first is the cpu fan the only source of loud noise or is it just the loudest? Theres little point in quietening the cpu cooler down only to become aware of how loud your case fans or gpu fan is.

The Thermalright Ultra-120 is a monster of a cooler and with a quiet 120mm fan should happilt cool a P4 and if you ever upgrade then it would be happy passive.

Also worth considering is the Scythe SCNJ-1000 Nijna

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd February, 2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

I've got two Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro hsf for my AMD systems. Very good cooling and quiet. Probably not quite as effective as the Ninja or Ultra but, bang for buck, one of the best.
Old 23rd February, 2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
If you're cooling a prescott you're not really gonna get away with passive cooling but you can still make it quieter. First things first is the cpu fan the only source of loud noise or is it just the loudest? Theres little point in quietening the cpu cooler down only to become aware of how loud your case fans or gpu fan is.

The Thermalright Ultra-120 is a monster of a cooler and with a quiet 120mm fan should happilt cool a P4 and if you ever upgrade then it would be happy passive.

Also worth considering is the Scythe SCNJ-1000 Nijna
Well I thought that the other fans could be the source of the loudness to so I disconnected the other fan and there wasn't much of a difference in the sound so I'm guessing its the heatsink thats the loudest sicne i don't have a gpu (not yet anyway). I'll check those 2 you mentioned and get back to ya.
Old 24th February, 2007, 06:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Well, would think of a aerocool ht102, I have a 101 jr, just switched to pasive cooling, A64 3700+ oc'd to 2.55(from 2.2). Passive cooled 44c load, 30c no load.
loads on fans: 30c w/quiet fans, 28c with one quiet one "loud", 26c w/2 "loud".
idle on fans 22 and below

44= 111 f
30= 86 f
28= 82 f
26= 78 f
22= 71 f

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com

Last edited by captinhector; 24th February, 2007 at 06:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2007, 01:14 PM

Well thinking of getting an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. Seems decent enough and has already been mentioned above, not to mention its quite cheap. It is a good heatsink right?
Old 24th February, 2007, 01:49 PM
Member/Contributer

The Freezers aren't what I would class as quiet at standard fan speeds and slowing the fan speed down they aren't the best coolers, not something I would put on a hot P4 anyway.

It will in all likelyhood be quieter than the stock cooler, but still clearly audible and if you're happy to run it a full voltage or close to then they are good value. If other components in your system are still going to be sources of noise then it may be the better option, as there is little point in throwing in a near silent ninja or ultra-120 if your case fans, psu fan and hard drive are still going to be loud, but if bringing the noise level of your entire system down to near silence is a goal then the more expensive heatsinks would make a good investment.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th February, 2007, 02:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

I just choose the high towers for me because you can put any 2 fans on it you want. I took the loud a** stock one off and replaced it with a couple of ultra brand case fans that were rated at 19.89 dBA. Needless to say, quiet now.

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Old 24th February, 2007, 04:24 PM

I spose that the more expensive option would be the better one, and since its only the heatsink thats the being loud it puts me in a bit of a pickle. Would like to get a more expensive one but need to get a new case to so its kinf od out the option. I guess I'll go for the Arctic Cooling. Heck cant be much worse than mine!
Old 25th February, 2007, 02:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

I just put an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro on my E6600 after having problem getting a good contact with my trust thermalright XP90c, its done wonders for my temps and was so easy to install! Have to agree with graham that its not the quitest and im not looking forward to when the fan fails as there is no provision to mount a third party fan, although i reckon it could be bodged... its a good cooler expecially for the money... if your in the UK Scan.co.uk are the cheapest.

Last edited by Razorfish; 25th February, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 25th February, 2007, 06:18 PM
Member/Contributer

The fans are actually pretty good quality, ceramic bearing I think and they have a 6 year warranty so I wouldn't worry too much about failure.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th February, 2007, 06:31 PM

I already checked Scan and quite a few other places and the prices seem quite similar. I guess I go for Arctic Cooling and see which is better.