AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2007, 10:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Cooling vs Voltage

Hi all,
recently, i've heard that if you have extreme cooling (e.g. Watercooling, peltier, Nitrous-Oxide, etc.), you can ramp voltages up pretty high without killing components. Now personally, with my very limited knowledge of electrics, i don't believe this. For example, people at OCUK were saying that if you have extreme cooling, you can ramp your X2 CPU Voltage over what is considered safe (so you could probably go up to 2V). Same with memory, so for example, with extreme cooling, you could go up to like 3.5V or higher with DDR.

Can anyone explain to me whether this is true, or just a load of bullplop?

Cheers,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2007, 12:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

To a degree, it is true. While there are absolute limits to how much voltage you can punch through a chip, you can change those limits by cooling the chip. For example, when I had my direct-die rig running, I was cranking 2 volts through my AthlonXP 3200+.

Now, it is also true that cranking huge voltages through today's chips doesn't gain you what it used to. Most of these chips seem to be hitting 90% of their max just with good cooling; adding voltage doesn't seem to buy you a whole lot except more heat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2007, 08:49 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Going up to 2.0v on an Athlon 64 is a good way to kill it fairly soon, personally I wouldnt go over 1.75 even watercooled and memory wise 3.5v seems very high as it is hard to apply heavy cooling to RAM.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 8th March, 2007, 09:37 AM
OcBible Creator

2 Volts for A64s is a suicide.
You must have at least a subzero for these voltages.
Calculate the % default voltage increase OK for XPs it is not very high.
Here is my ideas for AMD CPUs
Old 8th March, 2007, 01:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Back in the Athlon days this was more true than now, as Gizmo said. I have read that extreme cooled system can sport higher voltages and some pretty big gains. What you do not read is that the chip only lived long enough to get the benchmarks run. I do feel safer running a little more volts under water than I ever would with air alone. The cooling capacity is much greater. Again, I would never just throw 2.0 at it and hope for the best. Not even super cooled.
Old 8th March, 2007, 06:38 PM

Ah right, so that's that theory out the window. Ok, another question. My NF4 Chipset runs at 1.5 or 1.6V, one of those. Would there be any gains to be made if i increased it? Or is it probably gonna just kill it? I can only increase it by 0.1V at a time so i dare say the BIOS Voltage control is done from a template of some sort, but what sort of gains, if any, could be made using a higher chipset voltage? Cooling isn't a problem with it as i have 2 heatpipes and a lot of fins (Thermalright HR-05 SLI) and an 80MM fan pointed at it (side case fan which also cools my RAM as well as chipset).

Cheers,
Scott.

Old 8th March, 2007, 06:43 PM

You "might" see some FSB increases. You "will" see a heat increase. I bumped mine up a little and am running at 2.8 for the moment. I hate where my chipset sits. It is right behind the top video card slot.
Old 8th March, 2007, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Ah right, so that's that theory out the window. Ok, another question. My NF4 Chipset runs at 1.5 or 1.6V, one of those. Would there be any gains to be made if i increased it? Or is it probably gonna just kill it? I can only increase it by 0.1V at a time so i dare say the BIOS Voltage control is done from a template of some sort, but what sort of gains, if any, could be made using a higher chipset voltage? Cooling isn't a problem with it as i have 2 heatpipes and a lot of fins (Thermalright HR-05 SLI) and an 80MM fan pointed at it (side case fan which also cools my RAM as well as chipset).

Cheers,
Scott.
On my NF7-S, which uses the NF2 chipset, I actually found that DROPPING my voltage slightly was of more benefit than increasing it.
Old 8th March, 2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
You "might" see some FSB increases. You "will" see a heat increase. I bumped mine up a little and am running at 2.8 for the moment. I hate where my chipset sits. It is right behind the top video card slot.
Oh i know exactly what you mean, mine is in exactly the same place! And with that stock little rattling 40mm fan, it was unbearable, which was why i went for the cooler i did. It just fits above my graphics card, and that's with a little bit of twisting. I sure hope the 8600GTS is about the same size as my 7600GT. If not, then i'm gonna probably end up getting a custom made one. The heatpipes only need to be about 5-10mm longer, so that it sits above the graphics card confortably. I'd be prepared to change my memory slots if that was required. But, alas, it's not to be

Old 8th March, 2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
On my NF7-S, which uses the NF2 chipset, I actually found that DROPPING my voltage slightly was of more benefit than increasing it.

I had to do the same on my NF2. That thing freaked out when you gave it some juice.
Old 9th March, 2007, 08:53 AM
OcBible Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I mention something like this in Guidemania (I think in stability part).
BTW I had this mobo also and the MSFs bumped to mania using modded BIOS from ABIT-USA forum (but I don't remember more info cos have passed 4 years)
Old 22nd March, 2007, 02:07 PM

I always thought that increasing the CoreV was to just make the system more stable and so that you could achive higher FSB speeds
4gb OCZ SLI 8500 DDR2 RAM
2x Nvidia 8800GTX
Creative X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
Enermax 1000W Galaxy PSU
Asus 19" Wide Screen Monitor.
14320 3Dmark06 @ 1440x900
Old 22nd March, 2007, 04:34 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Generally, yes. However, in some cases the chip is already running so close to it's electro-migration threshold that increasing voltage makes heat-related stability problems worse instead of better.