AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th March, 2002, 01:38 AM

Question Need Primer on Lapping Heatsinks

OK, I know the why's and the expected results of Lapping. But I don't know the HOW part. Can someone explain the lapping process to me. How do you guarantee flatness, what types and grits of paper is used, or do you use a lapping compound. Any help from all the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Spacemobile1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th March, 2002, 04:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Spacemobile1! An excellent guide to CPU lapping is available at http://www.overclockers.com.au/techs...d1/index.shtml .

It's dated, as the majority of CPU's don't come in a nickle-plated copper jacket any more. Nonetheless, it's an excellent guide to lapping heatsinks. Very little extrapolation is needed. Most folks don't recommend lapping modern glass CPU's, btw.
Old 27th March, 2002, 05:09 AM

its not to big a deal , go down to you local hardware and buy a piece of glass 12"x12", 4 sheets of 400 grit ,4 sheets of 800 grit and 4 sheets of 1000 grit paper, duct tape the glass to your work bench , and then duct tape the paper to the glass, press lightly and work in a circular motion , being carfull not to tip the hs, when you get a uniform apperance its time to go the the next higher grit

piece of cake good luck

oh ya the cost of this little project was about 6 bucks

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close

Last edited by kat; 27th March, 2002 at 05:35 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th March, 2002, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up Lapping

Much thanks to Cloasters and Kat,

This gives me the info I needed. Now I feel confident on my next project.

I have checked out many forums, and belong to a few, but this one seems to have the greatest expertise on hand.

Once again, Thanks,

Dana

Spacemobile1
Old 27th March, 2002, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
a piece of glass 12"x12"
You'd be suprised how uneven the surface of glass is. Smooth it is, but it's just not as flat as you'd think. I surface ground(within 0.0005"!) a piece of 1/2" thick tool steel for my lapping pleasures, it works quite good.

But I'm a perfectionist, glass should work fine for everyone else.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 28th March, 2002, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
You'd be suprised how uneven the surface of glass is. Smooth it is, but it's just not as flat as you'd think. I surface ground(within 0.0005"!) a piece of 1/2" thick tool steel for my lapping pleasures, it works quite good.

I just use the kitchen worktop. Its plenty flat enough for heatsinks.

I only go down to 800 grit paper as well. Some people go all the way to 2000 and get a mirrir finish..but I dont think you will see any better cooling so why bother ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 28th March, 2002, 02:38 AM

Quote:
I surface ground(within 0.0005"!) a piece of 1/2" thick tool steel for my lapping pleasures, it works quite good.

say how much is that going to add to the cost of the project:-D :-D

when i lapped my hedgehog i went to 1000 grit ran it for a couple of weeks and then decided to go to 1500 and then polishing compund...made no difference it sure looked nice shame you cant see it

i may be getting close
Old 29th March, 2002, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
decided to go to 1500 and then polishing compund
Polishing compounds are a no no. They look nice but actually take away from heat transfer. Don't get sucked into looks, just go for even flatness. (Who sees the bottom of you heatsink anyway?)

BTW, i found it much better to apply almost no pressure on the heatsink. If I applied pressure I got a noticable crowning effect. Periodically check the botton of the heatsink for crowning.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 29th March, 2002, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kat

say how much is that going to add to the cost of the project:-D :-D
Honestly Kat, I couldn't let you have it for less than $150, tool steel plate is expensive, tempering is expensive, and it took a lot of work to get it that damn flat. And just think, it's only 8" square! Unfortunetly if the room temperature raises or lowers 10F it becomes noticebly less flat via laser, so you have to use it at 74F dead nuts for best results. But like I said, I'm a perfectionist . . .

I wet sand with 1200 paper myself . . .

No polish though, that just clogs up the pores in the metal that should get filled with arctic silver . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 29th March, 2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Some people go all the way to 2000 and get a mirrir finish..but I dont think you will see any better cooling so why bother ?
If you didn't see the advantage with a flatter smoother heatsink base, it may be that you aren't getting the paste optimally thin. You just need to barely paint the arctic silver on the core, when you can see through it it's too thin. You also want to smudge a bit on the heatsink and then rub it in and wipe it off with a piece of "cling-wrap" plastic(don't use cloth).

Again, you're all seeing the perfectionist in me.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th March, 2002, 11:29 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:

im lucky, at college we have flat tables, they are as close to perfectly flat as is possible! some moron attacked one with a hammer, so i used the undamaged portion to lap my sink. thing is, i dont think glas will be too uneven, we are all using sandpaper after all, which as far an i know isnt a uniform thickness all the way through!

ideally i guess we should lap the sink TO the core, but then u are getting into dangerous territory.... i dont think an AMD core would take it, but you could lap the heat spreader on an intel chip to a heatsink safely using some valve lapping compound. jeff since you have access to that kind of thing maybe you could give it a try?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 29th March, 2002, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
but you could lap the heat spreader on an intel chip to a heatsink safely using some valve lapping compound. jeff since you have access to that kind of thing maybe you could give it a try?
1) I have access to valve polish, but I don't ever use it, I ditch imperfect parts in favor for new ones.

2) I don't have an Intel CPU with the IHS.

3) The polish would probably clog pores and crevasses not allowing them to be filled with heatsink paste.

4) If I did have an Intel CPU with the IHS, I wouldn't care for the down time. CPU hours are just too valuable to the hardcore 24/7 folding@home nut case like me.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th March, 2002, 03:40 AM

Talking SUCCESS

Just wanted to check back and let you guys know that it worked out great. I lapped my Glaciator II HSF up to 1500 grit wet. Installed this baby on my XP1700+ and removed the Vantec CCK-6027D that was previously resident on the CPU. The Vantec was NOT lapped. Anyway my CPU temps have dropped by a full 10 degrees C. I am very impressed with both the Glaciator and with the lapping job. Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

Spacemobile1
Old 30th March, 2002, 04:04 AM

sweet...

like jeff said

"for my lapping pleasure"

i may be getting close
Old 30th March, 2002, 05:06 PM

Quote:
If you didn't see the advantage with a flatter smoother heatsink base, it may be that you aren't getting the paste optimally thin. You just need to barely paint the arctic silver on the core, when you can see through it it's too thin. You also want to smudge a bit on the heatsink and then rub it in and wipe it off with a piece of "cling-wrap" plastic(don't use cloth).

Again, you're all seeing the perfectionist in me.
My point was that its flat after using the 800 grit.

I have laped upto 2000 and saw absolutely no advantage temperature wise.
It looks nice but thats not the point.

I get great temperatures.
There arnt many people who run 40*c with a £14 heatsink full load.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 30th March, 2002, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I guess I'm the getto OCer. The highest grit sandpaper that the stores sell around me is 600, so I'm stuck with that. As for the glass, I just took a picture frame off my wall and used that. I soaked the paper in water and stuck it to the glass and started lapping. 600 actually doesn't do bad at all, it's alot better than non-lapped on most heatsinks. I followed up with some arctic alumina, first cleaned the heatink with Goof Off, took a sandwich bag and rubbed some alumina paste in, applied a thin layer to the CPU core, and put it back on.

My new temps were about 27° idle, 30-32° normal use, and 40-43° load for a few hours. The load temps were really high, but I think it is the fact my heatsink is pretty small. The heatsink is the OCZ glacier2.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 30th March, 2002, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberey66
I guess I'm the getto OCer. The highest grit sandpaper that the stores sell around me is 600, so I'm stuck with that.
Most hardware stores don't carry the extra fine grits. You need to go to an auto parts place, like a Pep Boys or the like that carry automotive finishing supplies. They will have up to 2000 grit on hand.

Spacemobile1
Old 15th April, 2002, 09:04 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
its not to big a deal , go down to you local hardware and buy a piece of glass 12"x12", 4 sheets of 400 grit ,4 sheets of 800 grit and 4 sheets of 1000 grit paper, duct tape the glass to your work bench , and then duct tape the paper to the glass, press lightly and work in a circular motion , being carfull not to tip the hs, when you get a uniform apperance its time to go the the next higher grit

piece of cake good luck

oh ya the cost of this little project was about 6 bucks
OR if you got a stereo cabinet take the glass off of it and use that.

Save ya a few bux.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 16th April, 2002, 10:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

Thanks for the info guys.. Was thinking about lapping my ax-7bs once I repace my mobo.. I have to clean my processor as well... damn thing's a mess.. hehe
Old 18th April, 2002, 09:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Althalus

a Diamond based Lapping compound won't affect heat transfer if it gets cloged up in the pores, diamond if i remember correctly is a great heat transfer medium