AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th March, 2002, 04:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dmdstar

Is this temp ok?

I just upgraded to an Athlon XP 1900+ from a 1ghz Thunderbird... The temps are quite a bit higher, so I wanted to check with you all to make sure I'm good or if I should explore alternative cooling solutions...

With the SAME setup, my 1ghz ran at 32 idle and 38 under full load. When upgrading to the 1900 (no overclock yet), it's running at 44C idle and 55C load (with Toast running for an hour).

I know there are other posts regarding temps, but nothing that satisfactorily answered this. It's just the large jump in temp that I am concerned about. (assume it must be because of the 6ghz difference in speed, but just want to make sure)

Of note, I am also using a copper shim.

Thanks, and sorry if this post seems kinda dumb. I'm new to the boards and just getting used to the place.

Abit AN7
XP 2600+ @ 2.3Ghz (210x11)

512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR (2x256MB)
Radeon 9800 Pro @ 400/365
Hitachi 7K250 120GB SATA
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80GB ATA133
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2002, 05:12 PM

When I was running a 1g T-Bird, the temp was high 30's low 40's With the cooler I am currently running.
With the same cooler I am getting high 40's up to 53c. I do have a better cooler on the way.
So with the current cooler on I took the side off the case and pointed a small floor fan at the cpu. Temps were around 45c.
As for me I need some serious case mods or a new case altogether along with a new cooler.
I too am trying to get a clear idea on temp ranges that is a don't cross the line mark. AMD it seems to me says it is ok up to 90c but dang that is hot!
I am sure of this though, AMD high end chips run hot enough to fry bacon.
Old 29th March, 2002, 05:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

My friend had an XP 1900+. With Alpha 8045 with a 68.5CFM (I think) fan, his temps were about the same. But he used a non-brand thermal grease. Better air circulation might solve the problem.

and as for bigjohnson, click here , not quite bacon, but close
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th March, 2002, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks, and sorry if this post seems kinda dumb. I'm new to the boards and just getting used to the place.
Hey Welcome to the Forums!!! Dnt wory all of us in here were new to the forums at one point. All questions are welcomed and the people here are very helpful. Dont hesitate to post even the simplest of quetions.

Anyways, 55C isnt that bad but you could do better........

To give u some idea, I Currently have a Athlon Tbird 1333@1472 1.85v thats 50C under extreme load (folding, prime95). But then again I live near the equator and ambient temps here are pretty high and an 1.4Tbird produces as much head as a AthlonXP 2100+. So I really think you could still bring those temps down.

Last edited by JayJay; 29th March, 2002 at 06:02 PM.
Old 29th March, 2002, 06:05 PM

I got a Thermalright AX7 on the way. The Swiftech looked better but the Thermalright seemed to have a better price to performance ratio.
I hope that I am not wrong.
Old 30th March, 2002, 06:04 AM

I am sure the THermalright will be ok
Old 30th March, 2002, 07:37 AM

that ax7 looks real sweet... i just might have to try one

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Old 30th March, 2002, 04:40 PM

FWIW,
I just replaced the HSF on my XP1700+. I had been running a VANTEC CCK-6027D, which a lot of folks claim is quite similar in performance to the SK-7. I replaced it with a Glaciator II which I carefully lapped, and my temperatures have dropped 10 degrees C on my CPU. I'm running 25 case and 35 CPU under full load (SETI and 3DMARK2001). I was running 25 case/46 loaded. I have never checked idle because I am always running SETI plus other stuff all the time.

Get some more air into and coming out of your case.
Make sure your heatsink/fan is not clogged with dust (which happens easily)

All I can think of right now.:clown:

Spacemobile1
Old 30th March, 2002, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Super
My friend had an XP 1900+. With Alpha 8045 with a 68.5CFM (I think) fan, his temps were about the same. But he used a non-brand thermal grease. Better air circulation might solve the problem.

and as for bigjohnson, click here , not quite bacon, but close
That link is great. It is amazing what people do with their free time. It did get me thinking about a dual cpu rig.