AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th April, 2002, 12:45 PM

how about adding a 120mm panaflo fan to a good copper 80mm heat sink with a 80/120 fan adapter

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/25/209.htm?135

There may be some loss of efficiency with a fan adapter but look at that airflow

- Model FBA12G12L-1A
- 12v (operates between 7v and 13.8v)
- .18 amp
- 2.16 watts
- 1700 RPM
- 68.9 cfm
- 30.0 dBa
US $16.00
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:16 PM

Dude, before you spend on the Koolance or Swifty, check out the Innovatech kit, it is way too simple to set up, and the reviews of the kit at http://www.dwpg.com/ of the Swiftech and Innovatech will show you how it performs. It only costs more than the Swiftech kit if you buy the reservoire, but that is easy to add later if you want it, but it does make filling and "burping" the system very easy so I would recommend it. Just do your homework, BTW, you could do better on less if you just peice a system together, but if you go to more than two companies shipping might eat up the difference.
Old 16th April, 2002, 02:51 PM
AOA Staff

well seeing how I have all the coolers in question maybe I can be of some help

performance wise the AX7 is the best with the TtVolcano 7+ a close second followed by the heatpipe, with the glaciator in the rear.

as far as total cost, the coolermaster will be the cheapest and YES! it works the EXACTLY the same lying flat or mounted vert/horz. in the tower, it doesnt seem to know the difference

as far as mounting, the AX7 is the only 3 lug system, and its a pain, but ultra stable

I would do the AX7.. even with a used PSU fan it will still kick major mojo. and you can get a hair dryer for it later if you want

(just make sure it'll fit, I had o carve all but the heat ipe up to get them to clear in my dragon )
Old 17th April, 2002, 02:51 AM

Welcome to the forums LLoyd Price. thank you for the link. it looks
pretty cool to me.
the reason I bring up the Koolance/Swiftech is their approach to cooling the whole package. ie; cpu, gpu, psu, hdd, & no. bridge. it just makes sense to me to purchase a complete unit. I will price the parts for each to see if I might want to put them into my own case.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th April, 2002, 03:10 AM

Cool, luck, I hope it all helps, as far as cooling everything goes, if you are going for a BIG OC, then yes, you would need the whole shootin match, but if you are like me and just want to cool a chip that runs a little hot, like my 1.4gig T-Bird, and want a quiet system, well then this is all you will need.
Old 18th April, 2002, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Price
Cool, luck, I hope it all helps, as far as cooling everything goes, if you are going for a BIG OC, then yes, you would need the whole shootin match, but if you are like me and just want to cool a chip that runs a little hot, like my 1.4gig T-Bird, and want a quiet system, well then this is all you will need.

Yes indeed. cooling the hot cpus with H2O is all I really need to get a quieter system. I saw the Koolance at a local pc parts store and was very impressed with the way it was laid out. h2o blocks on all the chips and I had to put my ear on the case to hear it.
more on the HeatPipe. now that the AS3 has settled in, the temp while folding is 39c.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2002, 04:30 AM

sweet !, I love a success story.
Any one out there know about how many watts I should be able to get out of the 12v line one a standard 300 watt PSU ?
Old 20th April, 2002, 07:19 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Any one out there know about how many watts I should be able to get out of the 12v line one a standard 300 watt PSU ?

Look on the side of the power supply. It should say. I would tell you mine but I took the cover off my power supply.

Much better cooling

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 20th April, 2002, 11:11 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Typically, 8 to 10amps. Unfortunately, some manufacturers have done component substitution to keep the cost of their original design down. (I have experience here...) One PSU I've had the luck of owning had part of the 12V system substituted with lesser parts, whilst keeping the same figure on the box.

The lesser parts would be ok up to 6amps or so. After that, they went pop.

AidanII
Old 24th April, 2002, 05:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

SK-6

All copper micro fin, small.. and they come with a 7K delta.

They are cheap nowadays. Best HSF I have ever had.

Last edited by Azriel; 24th April, 2002 at 05:06 AM.
Old 24th April, 2002, 05:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Try the Blizzard water cooling kit- its cheap- effective- and nice- www.overclockershideout.com
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah