AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2002, 04:34 PM
.:N2:.

interesting thought, comment please.

i've been working towards a new box, and as cooling is a major consideration.. i've looked at several offerings.

until today i was set...
being on a budget as most of us are..
i figured $30 was reasonable.

i selected the CoolerMaster HHC-001
(see it here, last item listed, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1333&DEPA=1 )

now, this uses a heat pipe.
Not the reason i selected it... but also looks, it's copper, and in the price range.

thing is.. i realize that in a tower....

heat don't rise sideways

haha so what do you think about this?

if it was a desktop case, it'd be a reasonable theory right?

well, so what do you guys think is tops for coolers aside from Swiftech, which i cant afford.
Old 31st March, 2002, 06:47 PM

For 28US???

Get a Thermaltake Volcano 7 = 22US or a Globalwin CAK II 38 = 31US at Newegg

IMHO, the Globalwin CAK II is an awesome performer for its price and if you're thinking about looks,performance, and price check out that 80mm strapped on the Volcano 7.
Old 1st April, 2002, 01:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Why not check out the new Thermalright AX-7? For thirtyish bucks it's a great value. And said to be better than the PAL-8045 and the Swiftech MCX-462. Awesome, if true! I think Newegg.com carries it.
Old 1st April, 2002, 01:40 PM

thanks for the suggestions..
i was actually pondering the CAK as well. i'm not impressed with a Volcano 7, However.. the Volcano 7+ is really!! Something!! but at $40+ (lowest i've found) i'm not sure it's justifiable.

the plain Volcano.. just looks like a toy to me.

and Thermalright is definitely one i'll look for.

but still guys, the meaning of the post was to see what you thought about the heat pipe.

coincidentally, oc'ers.com gives it a very decent rating..
but i also ponder the "CPU die simulator" that was used....

was it sitting flat so the heat was actually rising?

if the CPU sim was not actually sideways, i believe the credibility of those results are invalid.
Old 1st April, 2002, 01:43 PM

OMG you mean, this little guy...

http://65.119.30.151/productimage/35-109-002-02.JPG

beats the MC462a at a price of $28.00!!!!!!

/me goes to change pants, grab credit card, and order.
Old 1st April, 2002, 04:55 PM

N2,

You might want to chek this link out:

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

This might help answer some of you questions regarding which is the best cooler for 30US

Old 4th April, 2002, 11:30 AM

Thanks

very good linkage indeed.
Old 4th April, 2002, 01:28 PM

I'll second the Thermalright AX-7...

I have used two of them recently, one on a "hot" T-bird and another on an XP1800. Excellent cooling and with a quiet 80mm fan. Great combo.

And I have to agree with you N2, I don't think heat pipes will work too well in the horizontal position...

EPoX 8K7A, XP1800+ @1610 MHz, PC Power & Cooling 400 w
Promise FastTrak RAID 0 x (2) IBM 60 GXPs
ASUS GeForce3, Acoustic Edge 5.1
Win98SE

Last edited by RoboTech; 4th April, 2002 at 01:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 12:38 AM

Actually guys the Heatpipe idea might be a little bit like the Army's policy toward guys, "Orientation doesn't matter".
See the heat transfer effect created by a heat pipe may not be driven by the "Heat rises" principle as much as the "Heat moves from Hot-to-Cold" principle. The heat pipe is used to facilitate heat transferal from a Hot area to a Cold area, it's a "path", and I don't think up and down has much to do with it.
Old 5th April, 2002, 05:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Qube

Adding my madness to this post... I believe that the folks at CoolerMaster knew that the heatsink would be mounted in a tower 99% of the time
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:55 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
"Orientation doesn't matter".
See the heat transfer effect created by a heat pipe may not be driven by the "Heat rises" principle as much as the "Heat moves from Hot-to-Cold" principle. The heat pipe is used to facilitate heat transferal from a Hot area to a Cold area, it's a "path", and I don't think up and down has much to do with it.
In principle, that's spot on, but there's a practical issue to do with getting the (now condensed) coolant back from the "cold" end to the "hot" end.

Since most mobos orient the socket with the lugs pointing top-to-bottom (in a tower case) there's nothing stopping CoolerMaster (or whoever) making the pipe at a slight incline within the block to encourage the coolant to find its way home - they could pretty much guarantee that the cooler would always be mounted in the right direction.

I'd guess that's what they do... anyone willing to cut their cooler in half for me?
Old 5th April, 2002, 10:57 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

kaitain, the tubes are bent in a U shape, they are embedded in the copper base plate, come out, bend 180 degrees, and go through holes in the fins, the lowest point inm em is always the U part, as such i dont think they work at all well, except whgen installed horizontally

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 11:43 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Took me a while to find pictures of the cooler you were talking about.

If those U-tubes are of uneven length, and the sides embedded in the base finish above the core, then it'll still work. Fill with coolant up to the level of the core.

Gadz that's a clever bit of engineering...
Old 7th April, 2002, 03:39 PM
BongWater

Depending on how much you want to spend, those who advised the Thermalright AX-7 are correct. But it may be more $$$ than you want to pay. If about $30 is your limit, you can find some very good deals on the Thermalright SK-6 for that amount. Or try a Dynatron 1206BM-0 (with 38cfm Delta). Both are excellent coolers.
Old 8th April, 2002, 05:25 PM

Small review and explanation of the heat pipe by coolermaster..... thought u guys might wana chek it out

http://www.explosivehardware.net/rev...r_hcc001.shtml
Old 12th April, 2002, 06:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I realy like my heatpipe- and it dosent matter if its sideways- a special mebrane inside the tubes carries teh heat up and to be cooled-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 15th April, 2002, 05:17 AM

Glaciator 2 is a good heatsink, pretty quiet compared to some, and i think the price is getting pretty low too.

Watercooled Barton 2500+ AGOIA-Y @ 2300 (11.5x200) 1.85v
Epox 8RDA
1gb OCZ PC3200, 2-2-2-6
eVGA Geforce 4 TI4400
Old 15th April, 2002, 07:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by .:N2:.
thanks for the suggestions..
i was actually pondering the CAK as well. i'm not impressed with a Volcano 7, However.. the Volcano 7+ is really!! Something!! but at $40+ (lowest i've found) i'm not sure it's justifiable.

the plain Volcano.. just looks like a toy to me.

and Thermalright is definitely one i'll look for.

but still guys, the meaning of the post was to see what you thought about the heat pipe.

coincidentally, oc'ers.com gives it a very decent rating..
but i also ponder the "CPU die simulator" that was used....

was it sitting flat so the heat was actually rising?

if the CPU sim was not actually sideways, i believe the credibility of those results are invalid.
Don't go reg Volcano 7. It is alright, but doesn't have the power of cooling that is needed. I am not sure about the V7+. It's a great heatsync, but with a 70mm fan, where can you get your own. And it is spendy. Look at ThermalRight for some good priced and kickass heatsyncs.
Old 15th April, 2002, 08:55 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Price
Actually guys the Heatpipe idea might be a little bit like the Army's policy toward guys, "Orientation doesn't matter".
good looks & brains

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 16th April, 2002, 07:01 AM

I have 2 un-scientific observations.
1. ASUS A7V-133, Athy 1.3@1.5, 1.85v, 13x116 52c folding, Volcano 5 aluminum 80x60x40mm with 60x60x25 fan rated @ 32cfm/4550rpm/31dBA under $20. well lapped and AS3.
a. replaced the Vol. 5 with a Volcano 6Cu with copper base. it is 80x60x40mm with 60x60x25mm fan 32cfm/4550rpm/30dBA. well lapped and AS3. 47c folding
b. replaced the Vol. 6Cu with Coolermaster HHC-001. it is 80x60x44mm with 60x60x25mm fan 36cfm/6800rpm and more than 31dBA. well lapped and AS3. temp now 45c folding.
I use a multi function device like DD5 with probes on cpu, gpu and one for case temps. case temp is 28c, gpu @45c.
I see copper is doing a better job of getting the heat out. if I had
a digi-cam and used a few more progys(mbm,san,etc) I would have tried to do a review of the HHC-001. my next hsf will be a tossup between the AX-7 or MCX-462.
if money was no object it would be the Koolance or Swiftech H2O
system. :-D

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 17th April, 2002 at 01:55 AM.