AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:19 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

w00t!!!!! Watercooling baby!

After too many mishaps and mistakes to count, which I will of course write about later, I am running my Gemini Spiral waterblock! Hooray! Without any radiator or bong, I'm at 30C CPU and 23C Case. I have it set to shutdown at 40C. So I'm pretty happy. When the last time you tried to drill some holes through the little holes around the socket with the mobo in, LOL

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Cool! Welcome to the wonderful world of wet CPUS!

Say, isn't you old man a wrench twirler like me? You should see if you can have him dig you up a used heatercore some place.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:31 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Say, isn't you old man a wrench twirler like me? You should see if you can have him dig you up a used heatercore some place.
He can. He already said he could. But I want a bong, LOL. I might just take him up on the heatercore after this incident though. I'm tired of "adapting" components, LOL.

Hacksawing plastic screws with measurements from "guesstimates" is somewhat stressful, LOL.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 1st April, 2002, 05:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

do you still have that air duct going? I've got my dangerden at 44c at full load.
Old 1st April, 2002, 06:02 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
do you still have that air duct going? I've got my dangerden at 44c at full load.
Not right now. I'm not allowed to use it until it gets above 40F, LOL. Something about heat, money, and open window

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 1st April, 2002, 06:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Get him to dig up an '80s style "F" series ford truck heatercore. They are monsters, as you will notice in the picture below! Mind you that that is a 120mm fan, not an 80mm fan! It is a Panaflow 103CFM running @ 7V, there is another just like it on the other side. These two fans and radiator in this shroudless configuration are enough to keep the water temps within 2C of ambient with a 100W load! If I got off my lazy @#$ and made some shrouds(hasn't happened yet in the year and a half I've been using that particular radiator :-D), and ran the fans at a full 12V, I have no doubt I could keep the water temp within a degree of ambient.

Rubberband fan retention mechanism patent pending
Attached Thumbnails
w00t!!!!!  Watercooling baby!-radiator.jpg  

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 1st April, 2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 1st April, 2002, 06:35 AM
Systems Administrator

Wow. I'll have to see what he can dig up.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 1st April, 2002, 01:49 PM
Systems Administrator

How often do I have to change the water in this thing? It seems like I have to add water like every day or so; it's evaporating quite fast.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 2nd April, 2002, 03:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

about how much are you using up rite now?
i got through half a gallon a day
until i got a peice of plexiglass and covered the fishtank.....that way i dont loose the water...and it had NO affect on the temperatures
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 2nd April, 2002, 03:39 AM

bleh, i still use a closed look system, so i don't have evap problems. i would switch to a bong, but i'm out of town too much.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 03:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
bleh, i still use a closed look system, so i don't have evap problems. i would switch to a bong, but i'm out of town too much.
well....i dont have to worry anybit now....this plexiglass cover takes care of everything...
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 2nd April, 2002, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phiber

well....i dont have to worry anybit now....this plexiglass cover takes care of everything...
yah, well that's not exactly an evap cooling system if it's covered is it.
Old 5th April, 2002, 05:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Qube

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Rubberband fan retention mechanism patent pending
No bloody way! All these times I've been using paper clips and whatnot to jam the fan onto the rad temporarily... damn it! Wouldn't think of rubber bands if it could save my life
Old 5th April, 2002, 05:34 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Qube

No bloody way! All these times I've been using paper clips and whatnot to jam the fan onto the rad temporarily... damn it! Wouldn't think of rubber bands if it could save my life
Nothing against your statement but check your sig, Canada's cold enough already.
Old 11th April, 2002, 05:21 PM

Well, on the retention thing, I have been using small zip ties. you can get a buttload of then for somewhere around $2.00US. they are great for cabling too.

I just picked up a 226 watt pelt too, now i'm running oh so cold. I am looking at a small fridge to bring the water temp down a bit. 18C under full load

was only getting a stable 1.74 before adding the pelt, hit 1.75 lastnight and will try to push higher tonight

The other option is to gut the frudge and submerge the Evap in the water. now we're talking real cold

AMD Athlon XP 1700+(1.47)@2200+(1.75)
MSI K7T266 Pro v2.0 - RU
512Mb Kingston PC2100 DDR
MSI GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64Mb
SoundBlaster Live Value
Acer 10x8x32 CD/RW
Pioneer 10x DVD
Watercooled 226Watt TEC cooling Processor.

Last edited by pony35th; 11th April, 2002 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12th April, 2002, 06:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have one of those radiators- $3 at the local dump :-D- works GREAT! stil doing systems test on my water cooler on my pIII 550 before it goes into full service on my 1800-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 12th April, 2002, 07:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by pony35th
Well, on the retention thing, I have been using small zip ties. you can get a buttload of then for somewhere around $2.00US. they are great for cabling too.

I just picked up a 226 watt pelt too, now i'm running oh so cold. I am looking at a small fridge to bring the water temp down a bit. 18C under full load

was only getting a stable 1.74 before adding the pelt, hit 1.75 lastnight and will try to push higher tonight

The other option is to gut the frudge and submerge the Evap in the water. now we're talking real cold
N I T R O G E N!! That would work!

Also, is there a site dedecated to Water Cooling that I could check out? Thankx