AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd April, 2002, 11:37 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

A n00b's Watercooling Experience

DaOCPlace has released a new article. Here is the first portion of it; you can find the link to the entire piece at the bottom of this post:

After being in the overclocking scene for quite a while, I decided it was time to make that jump into watercooling, as I just so needed that extra cooling. In this article, I try to address my whole experience, from buying the pump and waterblock to turning on the machine when I'm done. Hopefully this will help other H2O n00bs, and allow me to show off that I did it!

Now, when I first built the computer I'll be breaking, I mean working on, today, I wasn't big into watercooling, and hence bought a cheap CoolerMaster aluminum heatsink. The heatsink came with a fan so weak, that I don't think you could tell if it stopped working. So I expected a great improvement over this setup after watercooling.

When I first considered watercooling, about three months ago, there was but one mainstream waterblock: the DangerDen Maze2. So, after cleaning the moths out of my piggy bank, I ordered one of these copper monsters. Unfortunately, Axiontech, the company I ordered the block from, never did ship it, and I was forced to cancel my order. By this time, another major competitor had entered the scene, as Swiftech released their MCW462-U waterblock. Luck seemed to be lacking even this early in my project; I couldn't find a reputable place that had a Maze2 in stock, and the MCW462-U was too big to fit on my motherboard.

Find the rest of the article here: http://www.daocplace.com/index.php?article=gemini

Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments you may have in this thread.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2002, 11:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Awesome 1st. timers guide, must read for anyone undertaking water-cooling for the first time!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2002, 12:05 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

GREAT article. Btw what mb do you have? Kinda wondering because i am looking at a new sys and going to go water all the way.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 3rd April, 2002, 12:20 AM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

Get a heater core and try a selfe contained system. I'm glad you finally got everything together with some great temps. I'll have to do an article on my P4 sometime soon.

http://daocplace.com/~bender/P4-1.jpg

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Old 3rd April, 2002, 12:57 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
GREAT article. Btw what mb do you have? Kinda wondering because i am looking at a new sys and going to go water all the way.
I'm using the 8KTA2, an old skool KT133 board.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 3rd April, 2002, 01:01 AM
eobard

What's your core voltage?
Old 3rd April, 2002, 01:19 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
What's your core voltage?
1.85V (actually, it's at 1.84V at the moment, it fluctuates a tiny bit)

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The Gemini's design is nice. I have a similar one I mad myself, but it is all aluminum and just can't compete with my copper blocks. The gemini's secret is the small channels.

If you calculate the cross-sectional area of a 3/8" ID hose, you come up with 0.110 square inches. In order for channels to maintain maximum fluid velocity the channel cross-sectional are must be equal, I like to shoot fo 90% in my designs, this seems to work out best.

If you calculate the cross-sectional area of a DangerDen Maze1 or BeCooling "jagged-edge"(produced with roughing end mill) "water-jacket", you will discover that the channel has a cross-sectional area about 10% too big.

The new DangerDen Maze3 blocks function more like a turbulated open chamber block than a channel block. I think the Maze3 design with 1/2" ID tubing will prove superior to the Maze2, but it won't be revolutionary, probably it will be on par with Swiftech's offerings adapted to 1/2" tubing.

Lately I've been liking my own fully 1/2" ID tubing tuned parallel micro-channel design, very effective, but very time consuming to manufacture.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2002, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

How does that block compair to a Dangerden or suchs?
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 17th May, 2002, 12:34 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
How does that block compair to a Dangerden or suchs?
Spyder
The gemini runs a good 2 c cooler from what i remember! but, its not so useful of you want to use a TEC it doesnt have screw holes tapped into the base, but that is fairly easy to rectify!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 27th June, 2002, 10:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Hey Mike,

Just caught this. I have been digging into everything I can since I am ready to take the leap into the water also.

Some of my fears came true in your setup. Actually made me feel at ease to see how you overcame....Excellent..
Old 27th June, 2002, 10:41 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuknow
Hey Mike,

Just caught this. I have been digging into everything I can since I am ready to take the leap into the water also.

Some of my fears came true in your setup. Actually made me feel at ease to see how you overcame....Excellent..
Ooooh, someone likes my article

Thanks dude!

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?