AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2007, 06:19 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Quad Core waterblock

Having decided that my waterblock is limiting the performance of my quad core i'm now on the market for a new one.

Its going to be cooling a heavily overclocked Q6600 (B3) which has a TDP of 105w

Its currently running at 3.15GHz @ 1.375v (from 1.325) which would give it a TDP of ~ 150W this is only the begining though i want to push it much harder!

On die temperatures report at around 70C with a water temperature of 20C (measured using an infrared pyrometer) this is a 50C increase (0.33C/W this includes the heatspreader mind) (ambient temperature of 17C feeds the rads)
Asus probe reports a cpu temp of 50C which is much better but wrong! It is however similar to the pyrometer read for around the cpu socket.

So the Question is what are the best water blocks for an Intel Quad core, somthing that can deal with a large die ~200W cpu.

My current block is this,
Liquid Cooling System "208 Copper Waterblock" CL-W0010

This is an interesting concept at least,
Aqua RX Series-R2 UFO CPU Waterblock CL-W0092

This will help with cooling around the top of the mobo as well
volcano 4008 CL-W0043

Moving away from Thermaltake we have this
Swiftech Apogee GT Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock |Specialtech.co.uk -
and this
Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU Waterblock |Specialtech.co.uk -
from swiftech,

and this
Danger Den TDX Universal CPU Block |Specialtech.co.uk -
from dangerden.

I'm currently using 3/8" tubing and would idealy just replace the cpu block (i'll probably add another radiator as well!) I have considered going upto 1/2" connectors and which the GTX block would like and I can get 1/2" tubing and pumps, but there is a distinct lack of large radiators that take 1/2" fittings
Old 21st September, 2007, 06:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I think the D-tek Fuzion or the Apogee GT are the ones to have.

Last edited by Samuknow; 21st September, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2007, 06:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You might want to look at Koolance's Quad core cooler
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 21st September, 2007 at 06:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2007, 07:11 PM

I use an MP-05 Pro and it's within 4 degrees of my old dual core temps. Apogee GT works well also..
Old 25th September, 2007, 08:53 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Thanks all I shall have a look at those the Apogee GT did look good to me, tho i liked the GTX more! I was thinking of putting in a really strong pump and 1/2" tubing to the cpu and then spliting the flow between a rad (1x120), and the gpu loop (gpu block, 2x120mm rad and its own pump) and then bringing it all back to a 3x120mm rad and then resevoir.

The main reason of that being a strong pump is of the order 1400l/hr (my current one is 'average' at 400l/hr) and uses 1/2" pipes, the gpu section uses 3/8" pipes which to keep mass flow rate up will require quite some velocity (and thus head loses)
Old 25th September, 2007, 09:20 PM

I am not keen on split loops. The tendency for something to get starved is there. That is just me though. Really a MCP655 pump or D5 should be plenty. If you get a Thermochill PA 120.3 it should be more than enough. A second rad might make a difference if you are cranking the volts to the CPU and GPU.
Old 25th September, 2007, 09:41 PM
Member/Contributor

I did shortlist the mcp655 as its 1200/hr flow rate is good for its price and it has 1/2" connectors built onto it. I did also look at that thermochill rad, its abit on the expensive side and comes with 3/8" threads. I have yet to find a radiator that natively takes 1/2" tubing, however does that matter much ? It seems modern radiator tech is lots of small diameter tubes in parallel.

Out of interest what is G1/4 ? it seems alot of parts are using this now as its 'standard'
Old 25th September, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
Out of interest what is G1/4 ? it seems alot of parts are using this now as its 'standard'
tubing size 3/8" (10mm), 1/2" (13mm) and 1/4" (6mm)

I use 1/4" fittings and 8mm tubes
Old 25th September, 2007, 11:45 PM

I have read a article lately that stated the difference between 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 tube. The diff between 3/8 and 1/2 is maybe only 1C in a good flow system. And that is maybe. A strong pump, good block and radiator will more than make up the difference. When I went to 1/2 tube the only difference I got was less room in my case.
Old 26th September, 2007, 12:00 AM
Member/Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedon View Post
tubing size 3/8" (10mm), 1/2" (13mm) and 1/4" (6mm)

I use 1/4" fittings and 8mm tubes
How can this be ?
I've seen it listed as a female thread on radiators.
The 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" measurements refer to the internal diameter of the pipes i believe.
I have seen a 1/2" barb to G1/4 male thread and i was concerned because the threaded side was smaller than the barb side and that the tube fits over the barb and flows inside the threaded bit which must mean there is a large cross sectional arear change in a short distance.
My fluid mechanics teachings say avoid rates of expansions / contractions greater than 7 degrees else flow will seperate and you dont want that.

There wont be much difference between all of the different pipe sizes really as long as the whole system is matched. Small diameter pipes will need a higher fluid velocity to keep up the same mass flow rate.
A 1/4" pipe will need 4x the flow velocity of a 1/2" pipe for the same mass flow.

The higher the fluid velocity the more pumping loses you'll get off the pipe walls. However you will get more turbulance and thus better fluid mixing.
Old 26th September, 2007, 12:43 AM
Metal Wizard

Keith I am moving to the Q6600 and I just picked up the Apogee GT So I will know soon. I also picked up a Swiftech Rad. I am not so sure it will fit my rad box, if not we will set it up on Matt's machine as he is taking over my 6002 swiftech and my e6600. Would have purchased the Q6600 today but, Matt got his new Halo Xbox unit.

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 26th September, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 26th September, 2007, 12:57 AM
Member/Contributor

Thanks that will be good to know, especially as you are using the same mobo. As i believe that is part of my limit also. As on another forum someone has claimed to have gotten 3.7GHz out of a Q6600 with the same water cooler (different mobo), not sure how stable his is tho!
I may end up picking up an X38 and the GT if the mobo is any good
Old 26th September, 2007, 02:05 AM
Metal Wizard

Well we are on the same page keith. I plan to try out the Q6600 in my P5WDH and if it is not up to par then I am going to put the 6600 back in this baord and move up to the X38 asap. I just really want to give it a shot on this board. I think I am going to move some money and go ahead and order the Q6600 tonight. Then tear down this weekend and get ready for it. I think it's time for a paint job too I am growing tired of John Deere Green and Yellow.

WZ
Old 26th September, 2007, 02:09 AM

clubit will guarantee a G0 stepping for $275..
Old 26th September, 2007, 02:42 AM
Member/Contributor

the asus board runs the chips just fine, be sure to bios update if you get a g0 chip. rumour has it the g0's arent really that much better its just intel bins the chips above 95w instead of 105w. The TDP's have been known to be a worst case scenario and that most chips sold are around the 90w mark @ 2.4GHz,
of course my chip has jumped to 3GHz @ stock voltage in my p5w, and will run at 3.3GHz @ 1.3875v (1.325v stock) with quad prime for several hours error free, yet smp folding keeps coming up with overclock / heat error to hit 3.3GHz a fsb of 366 is required and well with a dual core chip this was getting on for the limit of fold stable. (i cant up the northbridge voltage as this knocks out my usb onboard wifi for some reason!)
Old 26th September, 2007, 03:16 AM
Metal Wizard

OK Keith it is done I just ordered the Q6600 GO from clubit. 3 day ship.
I have loaded up the 2301 bios for running the GO chip. I am just a bit excited right now! I want to order another 8800 320 also. And a new cannon camera. That will be it for this year for me. Oh and a new psu for Matt's up and coming system. It never ends........
Oh one other bit of good news.... Fall is here!!! and winter is coming!!!
WZ
Old 26th September, 2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
How can this be ?
I've seen it listed as a female thread on radiators.
The 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" measurements refer to the internal diameter of the pipes i believe.
I have seen a 1/2" barb to G1/4 male thread and i was concerned because the threaded side was smaller than the barb side and that the tube fits over the barb and flows inside the threaded bit which must mean there is a large cross sectional arear change in a short distance.
My fluid mechanics teachings say avoid rates of expansions / contractions greater than 7 degrees else flow will seperate and you dont want that.

There wont be much difference between all of the different pipe sizes really as long as the whole system is matched. Small diameter pipes will need a higher fluid velocity to keep up the same mass flow rate.
A 1/4" pipe will need 4x the flow velocity of a 1/2" pipe for the same mass flow.

The higher the fluid velocity the more pumping loses you'll get off the pipe walls. However you will get more turbulance and thus better fluid mixing.
I think you got it. all my waterblocks and radiators have G1/4". that's why I use 8mm tubes (1/4"=6,4mm).
a small intake and big tubes are useless in most cases