AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2002, 07:27 AM

Digital Doc 5 faceplate

Wanted to paint the face of the DD5 black.......how do you remove the faceplate????

Do I have to unscrew everything including the PCBs????
Old 7th April, 2002, 03:02 AM

From what I can see on mine, it looks like you do have to. But mine's still in a drive bay, and I don't want to completely pull it out right now, but from what I can see, yes.
Old 7th April, 2002, 05:54 AM

Just painted the face......yep you have to take the whole thing apart
Old 7th April, 2002, 06:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Cool. Do you think you could make a simple guide on how to take it apart so that others could do it easier?

Thankx
Old 7th April, 2002, 03:30 PM

I'll post an excellent link:

If you guys wana know how to take the Digital Doc 5 apart, just clik the link below

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guide...od/index.shtml

Its actually a DD5 LED mod article but its good enough to learn how to diassemble the DD5. Very well written too.

Or you can try:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/61/
Old 7th April, 2002, 03:30 PM
BongWater

Its not that difficult. There are 8 screws I think (2 for the fan, 2 for each board and another 2 I can't remember)...maybe its only 6 screws but anyway, I did it months ago and it came out sweet. I wouldn't try to paint without removing but my painting skill aren't the best...

OK I just took the whole thing apart in like 2 minutes...8 screws and a couple of plugs. REAL EASY!

BongWater
Old 7th April, 2002, 08:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Thankx! I too am thinking of painting my faceplates black, but I was unsure of how to remove the faceplate of the DD5... CD drives are cake, but the DD5 looked harder.

I just did my first case mod! I installed a 80mm fan on the side of my friends PC It's really easy - I used a 3 inch wood hole saw on my drill

Next mod - a large window on the side over the MB, and ducting from the window to the heatsync with a 80mm fan on the window Should be fun
Old 7th April, 2002, 08:55 PM
BongWater

I forgot to mention that the plastic front panel clips into the metal frame...just pop it out, push out the clear window and you have the front panel all ready to paint. Soooper simple!

BongWater
Old 7th April, 2002, 09:20 PM

Thanks.

::Goes and takes apart DD5::

Oh, what type of paint do you use on your faceplates, and what do I need to do to apply the paint? Sand it (faceplate) or something list that?
Old 7th April, 2002, 10:15 PM
BongWater

Lightly sand first, apply primer coat and I used some Krylon Interior/Exterior paint but I can't remember exactly whcih.
Old 7th April, 2002, 10:51 PM

Ok, cool. I'll tell you how it goes... Thankx for the help!

BTW - Adding a case side fan over the heatsync REALLY helps the heat! My temp is now 35C at idle and 40C under 4 hours of stress... I think its doing well... Now, once I get my window and ducting, it will be even cooler!