AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th April, 2002, 05:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Oc Jason Send a message via AIM to Oc Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Oc Jason

HS needed, better perf adn same noise?

I have the EVER quiet Glaciator, what i am wanting is a HS with same noise (close) and better Performace, is ther any out. Is the AX-7 noisy or is it decently quiet?

TYIA
WinXp
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2002, 05:55 PM
BongWater

The noise level depends on which fan you install. The AX-7 comes without a fan and then you choose. Many will choose the Delta FFB0812SHE 68cfm because it moves so much air. Most tests you see are using this fan.

However you can use any 80mm fan you wish. It's a trade between noise and airflow. I would suggest getting a high speed fan like the Delta and then installing a rheostat. This will allow you to slow down the fan speed when it's not needed. In the case of the Delta, you can slow the fan speed 2,000 rom and its quite a bit quiter. Then when you need the extra cooling, turn up the speed.

A rheostst can be had for about $10 or you can make one for under $5. There are many places out there to show you the wiring (very very simple) and we can help to find you the parts if you wish.

Just my 2 pennies worth on the subject.

BongWater
Old 7th April, 2002, 06:31 PM
Member/Contributer

You could put a Delta fan on the glaciator instead of the one currently in place.. that would make it loud!
Old 7th April, 2002, 07:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

As BongWater suggests, use a big fan and use a rheostat. Even heatsinks that use a 60mm fan should be used with the 60x38mm 50CFM Delta. The fixed vains on the "tall" Delta high-ouput fans help them create greater pressure. Pressure helps the fan overcome flow obstructions, like heatsink fins. This gives you more air velocity over the surface of the heatsink.

The Delta 68CFM 80x38mm fan is not a 68CFM fan, in reality it is closer to 50CFM but with 30% greater pressure than most 50CFM fans. Similarly, the Delta 50CFM 60x38mm fan is not capable of 50CFM, but rather around 42CFM with about 30% greater pressure than most 38-40CFM fans.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 7th April, 2002 at 11:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2002, 07:59 PM
BongWater

I was merely giving Delta's numbers. which do say 4900rpm 68.5cfm and 48.5dBA...and I'm not sure if they are off by 25% or so as you claim, but the fan works. And I was wrong by saying the rheostat would drop your rpm that much but that setup worls real well no matter.

BongWater
Old 7th April, 2002, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Oc Jason Send a message via AIM to Oc Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Oc Jason

i didnt even know that the AX7 was an 80mm HS, id go with a HIgh FLow Panaflow Fan. its liek 47cfm at 38.5 db. DO u think that is good enough

it will be on a XP2100+
WinXp