AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2008, 05:39 PM

Unhappy Surprise temps athlon xp2400+

I don't OC anymore. That's not totally true, my vid card is OC'ed a bit. I have the HSF I was using when I was. I don't remember what brand it is any more but it's a heavy copper core sink w/shroud & hi speed fan. When I upgraded CPU's from the 850 Tbird to the XP 2400+ I quit OC all together so I didn't concern myself with temps.
I was changing some CMOS settings this AM and looked to see what they were. Shocked. 125 degrees no load!
I am using the same full tower I modded for OCing so I plugged in a 5 1/2in fan mounted on the side panel to blow directly on the mobo,(CPU,chip set,vidcard,memory) and plugged in the front 3in fan to circulate and force the air out the back. I have other fans mounted but went with that to start. If I plug'm all in it gets a bit noisy.
Anyway, temps dropped from the 125 to 103. Readings via bios. I need to install a monitoring program!

It sure surprised me.
Haven't had time to think about it yet, but it shouldn't be doing that!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2008, 10:57 PM

"I need to install a monitoring program!"

Use Speedfan to monitor your temps and control your fans.
That's what I use and it works very well.
SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
Attached Thumbnails
Surprise temps athlon xp2400+-speedfan-4.34.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 30th May, 2008 at 03:07 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2008, 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=MUff1N;474475]"I need to install a monitoring program!"

"Use Speedfan to monitor your temps and control your fans.
That's what I use and it works very well. "

I've got an Epox 8k5a2+ and it has a program on the CD. It's not much compared to Speed fan-I did use that in times gone by-but it's enough under these circumstances. I don't need to change fan rpm's, I just wanted to be aware what temps were under different circumstances. It should not have been running that warm. My HSF is far and above OEM and that is all I'm running it as. I should not have to run more fans to bring the temps into a comfortable range. Might be the thermal grease (Arctic Silver) has lost it's usefulness. Only thing I can think of.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 30th May, 2008, 03:09 AM

You don't have to control your fans if you don't want too. But if your system is nice and cool wouldn't it be nice to have your fans automatically slow down to where they're really quite, then speed up to cool everything down when needed?
This is the reason I use it...
If all you want to do is monitor, then just look at the temps, fan speeds & voltages...
Its a good all around system's monitor too.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 30th May, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 30th May, 2008, 05:28 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd imagine that your case temp was up a bit and that's what warmed up your cpu.

Focus on ventilation and that should fix it. Not just more fans... but better flow.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th May, 2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I'd imagine that your case temp was up a bit and that's what warmed up your CPU.

Focus on ventilation and that should fix it. Not just more fans... but better flow.
Nope, gonna have to reject that one. When I modified this case, my main focus was air flow.
I don't have the numbers anymore but I have 7 fans, of various sizes, not including HSF, and all but 1 has its corresponding hole cut into the case. There are 2 fans that bring air into the case, and only 1 that is direct cooling as well. The rest are to move the air and exhaust it. For the situation we are discussing, I mention the fans only because of their corresponding holes. None of them have been plugged in for yrs. I only have 1 fan on now and I plugged that in,and installed the monitor, only as a short term solution.
Nope, there is plenty of passive ventilation. Consider the fact that the majority of OEM machines are tightly enclosed in m/atx boxes with a stock HSF and small vent in the front-using the PSU fan to exhaust.
Nope, this thing has more holes in it than the Titanic. Top, bottom, side, and in between.
At this point, the only thing that makes even a little sence is that the thermal paste has degraded.
I don't know what else it could be.
Thanks, but put your thinking cap back on.