AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th July, 2008, 04:19 PM

Talking Finally a Reward for my Pain.

Yesterday was a very (More like Extremely) Painful day working on a "project" for my Mom. She wants a fold up Cloths dryer in the backyard.
So the fun begins. I NEVER do a job half @ssed so that's where the work came in. To make it Solid Mounting for the mask I dug a hole 22"x12.5", cut a 2" PVC pipe at 18", filled the bottom with Good rocks for foundation, then staked the PVC in the Center and leveled it. Then used a 60lb bag of readymix cement and pured it into the hole around the pipe to make it solid in there.
Now you can take the mask and put it in the pipe and turn it instead of walking around the cloths line or pull it out completely to get it out of the way & fold it up when you want.

By the time all was said and done my back hurt so bad that I didn't sleep at all last night because the pain wouldn't let me and that was on Morphine & Vicodine!!!

Now the good...
Seems my Mom felt so bad about having me do this project that she told me to get on Newegg and order what I needed for my computer!
So I picked up...

Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12SH 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans

It was ordered yesterday and the card went through and was charged so I should have this by Thursday...
So NOW I'm going to be seeing about that 3.6Ghz OC I've been wanting to do since I got this system...
First I want to see how high it will go with default vcore & Enhanced Powerslope enable.
With vcore at default and Enhance PS disabled I'm able to get to 3.28Ghz...
Also, I'm going to use Speedfan to control the CPU fan instead of all the crud they ship with it to control the fan.
I want this to be Automatic so when the heat reaches a certain threshold it will automatically increase the fan's speeds.

Man, I am so tired and spacy today it's not funny. LOL
I hope I can get some sleep this afternoon or tonight.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 15th July, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2008, 08:13 AM

Arrow

My stuff from Newegg was shipped out today, so I should be receiving my new cooler on Friday!
This is going to be fun not having the limits I now have because of CPU cooling.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2008, 08:25 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

So you tell me all that and give no pics?

Well done MUf1N
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 16th July, 2008, 04:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
So you tell me all that and give no pics?

Well done MUf1N
LOL, you already know what this stuff looks like Chris...
There! Now you got pics...
The reason I got the case fan is that it moves 110 CFM & 37db.
This is quieter than my two 80mm fans at full speed together.
I'm planning on adding it into the front top of the case, OR make a mount a the top for it and replace the 80mm there, then have
the CPU cooler orientation to blow up...with this fan it won't leave any hot air inside the case!

Oh BTW this is very important!!! Can someone tell be the best way of removing a backplate without ruining the mobo???
Please someone help with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally a Reward for my Pain.-arctic-silver-5.jpg   Finally a Reward for my Pain.-scythe-sy1225sl12sh-120mm-slipstream-case-fan.jpg   Finally a Reward for my Pain.-zalman-cnps9700-led-110mm-2-ball   Finally a Reward for my Pain.-zalman-cnps9700-led-110mm-2-ball  

Last edited by MUff1N; 16th July, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 16th July, 2008, 05:31 PM

Only things I have found that work is goof off and lighter fluid. Patience is the key, paint brush, q-tip etc, till you get an edge loose, then just keep applying lighter fluid and remove slowly.

I've seen a lot of boards killed by those backplates. I never use the sticky on them..
Old 16th July, 2008, 08:08 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Zomg I ment this "She wants a fold up Cloths dryer in the backyard"
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 16th July, 2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Only things I have found that work is goof off and lighter fluid. Patience is the key, paint brush, q-tip etc, till you get an edge loose, then just keep applying lighter fluid and remove slowly.

I've seen a lot of boards killed by those backplates. I never use the sticky on them..
OK, thanks ccf! Yea, I don't want to ruin this board by doing something stupid. I WILL Take My Time getting it off so I don't end up killing it by breaking some traces!!!
So I shouldn't use a single edged razorblade to get and edge started?
If not, then what should I use to pry with? Just my fingers?
Thanks again ccf...

Last edited by MUff1N; 16th July, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 16th July, 2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Zomg I meant this "She wants a fold up Cloths dryer in the backyard"
OH...that's what you meant...Yea OK, here's the picture of the cloths dryer...
It's basically the same thing as a clothesline, but in kind of a circle and you can rotate it freely (my mod) without having to walk around it to hang your cloths up!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally a Reward for my Pain.-lehigh-large-capacity-outdoor-aluminum-clothes  

Last edited by MUff1N; 16th July, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 16th July, 2008, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

i had one of those clothes dyers in the backyard when i was a kid. it was fun to climb up onto....

Old 16th July, 2008, 08:56 PM

If you are mobile, they make plastic razor blades and they are ideal for this kind of situation. Smaller hardware stores usually have them and sometimes Walgreens and the like.. (Call first)
Old 16th July, 2008, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

*raises eyebrow in a vulcan-like manor* "Plastic" razors blades? you mean the handle surely?

Old 16th July, 2008, 11:03 PM

West Marine: Plastic Razor Blades Product Display
Old 17th July, 2008, 12:42 AM

Thanks ccf, that's what I will use then to remove the current backplate.

Last edited by MUff1N; 17th July, 2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 18th July, 2008, 03:26 PM

Arrow Goo Gone® Sticker Lifter

We got an Ace Hardware up here and they have this product Goo Gone® Sticker Lifter.
I think this is just what I need. I also Made and hard plastic blade (Cut out of Plexiglas) to get the backplate up with.
I sanded it to a very thin sharp edge.
As I said it's very hard so it should work fine as long as I let the Goo Gone® Sticker Lifter do most of the work.

* 2 oz.
* Removes stickers, tape, labels, decals, price tags, gum, and more
* Works to loosen the adhesive bond
* Does not dissolve the adhesive-breaks the adhesive bond so that the sticker, label, etc. can be re-applied elsewhere
* Evaporates quickly; leaves no residue
* Safe to use on glass, paper, plastic, metal, finished furniture,upholstery, clothing, etc.
* Includes sticker-lifter tool

Last edited by MUff1N; 18th July, 2008 at 03:27 PM.