AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st August, 2008, 05:39 PM

HSF Arrives today

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro will arrive UPS today! And now we get to the one characteristic of my case mod that isn't good, I have to remove the motherboard to be able to install the new HSF. I'm also a bit nervous about the height of the freezer. It's a full 1 1/2 taller than the stock HSF. I've adjusted the DVD and the measurements tell me it will fit but it's tight.
I just ordered the new 500w power supply. 3 day UPS from Newegg. Next week sometime. Untill then I stay with the little OC that I've done. !.80G@2.40G.
It's going to be interesting to see how much the new cooler drops the temps. They run a steady 57c full load. That is with the Dielectric grease.
I'll be useing that with it.
The Arctic freezer just arrived! BYE!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2008, 06:08 PM

Yea, I was also a bit concerned about the hight of the Zalman I installed considering I have a midcase tower.
But it fit with the side cover on with about a half and inch to spare.
BTW, I want to see pictures!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 1st August, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2008, 08:19 PM

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro delivers as advertised. I am pleased.
It took a little creative cable work and I had to mount it 180 degrees from recommended, but I got it in. Sorry Muff1n no pics just yet. Card reader is coming with the power supply and I need to get a flash card, then I'll send some.
Everything is with full load.
!st boot was without OC and it was 10c less than stock at 49c. so far so good.
2nd boot @2.4g temps rose to 52c. I'm a little concerned about this. With stock HSF there was no change.
Then I hit it with OCCT for 15min. Temps rose to 58c and stayed steady.
on shut down of OCCT dropped quickly back to 52c.
It's quiet too.!
This be a winner,Boss!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 2nd August, 2008, 03:35 AM

This is intiresting. On a whim, I decided to install Vista Ultimate on the E4300 and see if it was any better. Threw in a new drive and installed, configured,updated, instaled 2xFAH500Client. Just installed SpeedFan and got a surprise. Temps are 56c. 4c difference between XP and Vista.
I'm not going to do any more tonite but I think that is something that should be looked at. Is Aero the cause? Dreamscape? Ihe only difference is operating systems. Would mean you could OC to a higher degree with XP than Vista.

Edit

It's 8hrs later and temps are now at 52c. If everything is consistant, if I go back to XP temps should be 48c. I'll plug that drive back in later today. That is the one thing I realy don't like about this Biostar board. Only 1 IDE connector so I have to swap drives or combinations depending on what I'm doing.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 2nd August, 2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: New info
Old 2nd August, 2008, 04:25 PM

I was a little concerned at first right after I installed the Zalman because the temps were almost the same as the Asus cooler!

BUT, I didn't take into account the curing time for the Thermal Paste in my hurry to see some new temp results!!!
With AS-5 that's 200 hrs of off & on cycle usage.
Once it had that time to cure the temps dropped like a rock in water...
I don't know if there is any curing time for Dielectric Grease.

But I have a question> Why Dielectric grease for your thermal paste?
"That is with the Dielectric grease. I'll be using that with it."

From what I've read it's not meant for thermal paste & is not good at transferring heat such as AS5 is.
Then again you didn't specify "Exactly" what Dielectric Grease you were using and if it is actually made for that or not...

"Dielectric greases and insulating fluids are insulating oils, greases, transformer oils and fluids that have a high dielectric strength and are used in transformers, capacitors, EDM machining, and other electrical device applications."

Also, Vista "Dreamscape" uses quite a bit of CPU usage so it will bring the temps up compared to a typical desktop background image which will leave your CPU at idle.

Last edited by MUff1N; 2nd August, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 3rd August, 2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
I was a little concerned at first right after I installed the Zalman because the temps were almost the same as the Asus cooler!

BUT, I didn't take into account the curing time for the Thermal Paste in my hurry to see some new temp results!!!
With AS-5 that's 200 hrs of off & on cycle usage.
Once it had that time to cure the temps dropped like a rock in water...
I don't know if there is any curing time for Dielectric Grease.

But I have a question> Why Dielectric grease for your thermal paste?
"That is with the Dielectric grease. I'll be using that with it."

From what I've read it's not meant for thermal paste & is not good at transferring heat such as AS5 is.
Then again you didn't specify "Exactly" what Dielectric Grease you were using and if it is actually made for that or not...

"Dielectric greases and insulating fluids are insulating oils, greases, transformer oils and fluids that have a high dielectric strength and are used in transformers, capacitors, EDM machining, and other electrical device applications."
I grew up in a family of tradesmen. Nobody did one trade, we did most things. We learned more than anything else is that that there is always a different way to do just about anything and it might even be a better way. I got anoyed at paying $8 for Artic Silver, so I went looking. I asked at the auto parts. I got a guy who knew compters so he knew what I was looking for. He gave me a grease that Borge-Warner uses in thier super chargers and he thought the dielectric grease might do the trick. It's with the gaskets.
Something doesn't have to be made to do a certian job to be efective at that job. That is why I want to test it.
The stuff from Borge-Warner I can't get-It's not commercial.
It is made for those other things, doesn't mean it can't do well as a thermal compound. I don't know for sure yet- except it costs $1.25 for a tube that will last for about 10 or 15 CPU changes.

Old 3rd August, 2008, 03:03 PM

Well the explanation of what Dielectric Grease is threw up a red flag for me as not being good at transferring heat at all.
Anything that would Insulate the CPU heatspreader from the Fan/heatsink can't be good...

Last edited by MUff1N; 3rd August, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 3rd August, 2008, 03:52 PM

True dielectric grease is an insulator and would not work well. There is a thermal grease that is pretty common in the automotive field though, which is more than likely what PorPor has gotten hold of. It's normally used between ignition modules and the aluminum surface they mount to.

RadioShack sells a cheap cpu paste that is also very good.
Old 4th August, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Yea, I was also a bit concerned about the hight of the Zalman I installed considering I have a midcase tower.
But it fit with the side cover on with about a half and inch to spare.
BTW, I want to see pictures!
Ya want some pics? Here they are!
The stock HSF was shorter by almost 2 1/2in. and it was quite a bit wider in circumference. I had things layed out well, the fan missed the DVD by 1/4 in. To get the Arctic cooler in, I had to push the DVD all the way forward [almost out the door!] Even at that cableing was a problem as the extra 2 1/2in had to go down inside. I ended up just sticking a couple tie wrap holders to the bottom and sinching them up as best I could. It ain't pretty but it's in. Now the best featcher of the build is no longer there. I have to start unplugging when i open it up. Bye the way, she was running when all pictures were taken. If you can tell, on the right there is a rail that is held by the boards mounting holes and it comes up and across and down to hold the video card & sound card.
I'm not going to go to the effort to get this one finished. Shoveing the new cooler in made a mess of the inside and gives me the excuse I needed!! I know how i was going to finish off the IO panel but it's a lot of work and I'm going to do another one. A little bigger, a lot cleaner. Give it some room for different hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
HSF Arrives today-photomod003.bmp   HSF Arrives today-photomod010.bmp   HSF Arrives today-photo002.bmp   HSF Arrives today-photo2003.bmp  

Old 6th August, 2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Well the explanation of what Dielectric Grease is threw up a red flag for me as not being good at transferring heat at all.
Anything that would Insulate the CPU heatspreader from the Fan/heatsink can't be good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
True dielectric grease is an insulator and would not work well. There is a thermal grease that is pretty common in the automotive field though, which is more than likely what PorPor has gotten hold of. It's normally used between ignition modules and the aluminum surface they mount to.

RadioShack sells a cheap cpu paste that is also very good.
While you guys might be right- I'm bull headed AND I have been useing it.
I don't know how good it is. I suspect it is just average but that is just fine.
Here is something else. Arctic Silver recognizes the need to be non-conductive and engineers their AC5 to be so.

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

There is not going to be any info on dielectric grease in this application. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'd get the same results with some Crisco. I just want to know! I will but I keep getting road blocks to a real test-I'll get there. If you have something constructive-like how do I get these two Athlon rigs give an accurate temp-I'm all ears!

Old 7th August, 2008, 07:18 PM

If anyone is interested.

OK-Uncle-I quit-Grasshoper begs humble forgiveness..
Since I had to tear a lot of my rig apart to install the new PSU, I removed the board, the HSF and used the dielectric grease on it. I have the grease on the other 2 rigs but I have no way of getting a good temp reading for them. It was not the tests I wanted but I wasn't going to get that any time soon.

6c to 7c higher than the compound that came w/the AC7, which was 52c to 54c. most depending on how warm it got in the house. were hitting 95f now. told me it wasn't going to be anything that could be an inexpensive substitute for the average user..
Done deal.
Now to the Good stuff.

Old 7th August, 2008, 08:35 PM

Just glad you didn't overheat the CPU doing this "test"!!!
There's a reason why Arctic Silver is so well known with such a good rep!
If you used the Silver paste, don't expect good results for about 3 days or so
because it takes a bit for it to setup.
But once it does you'll be happy with the end result of temps.
Now that mine has setup all the way my high Load temps are 20F lower than when I first applied it.

Last edited by MUff1N; 8th August, 2008 at 11:09 PM.