AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November, 2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks MUff1n. There were times that it was a little difficult to cope with. I know I'm not the best edjucated, in fact any and all I've learned has been with this key board or a screw driver. I realy got to wondering about the skills I do have-I't seemed every computer part I touched burst into flames right in my hands!

Then this Nforce board installed and booted up on the second try! (Had a bad stick of my matched G.Skills)

Thanks for noticing I was haveing a rough time.

So far, I could't be happier-that 22c idle would make me smile a little more!

EDIT:
I spoke to soon it seems. After 10min on OCCT as well as running the SMP client, I figured it was going to be stable enough untill I started the serious testing. But it wasn't long that I got a couple 0f spontainious reboots. You don't have to hit me in the head more than twice, I dropped the OC back to the nice and easy 2400Mhz until a later time when I can just concintrate on that alone

I've taked it up to 2810Mhz and I did some quick testing with the SMP client running as well! If that doesn't stress the CPU, nothing will!
Attached Thumbnails
Temps sound right?-oc_2800_folding.jpg   Temps sound right?-copy-of-hdt-s1283_idle.jpg  

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Last edited by PorPorMe; 17th November, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spoke to soon!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th November, 2008, 11:01 PM

Usually when you get a reboot like that, it's because you need a bit more vcore to keep it stable.

The only reason I'm running my system at 3.30GHz at default vcore it because it's running so cool, stable & is very energy efficient.
If I raise the vcore to 1.4v to get it up to 3.42GHz the idle vcore stays rather high at 1.34v where as at its current settings it idles at 1.15v.
Not to mention with 4 gigs of memory installed it doesn't like anything higher than 3.42GHz with 4-4-4-12 memory timings.
But for a 3% gain in performance it doesn't justify the voltage increase to get it there so I'm leaving well enough alone.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 17th November, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2008, 02:52 AM

I kind of figured it would be vcore but I just don't have the time to spend on it. When I go for some OC other than uping the FSB-I want at least a 1/2 day chunk that I can dedicate to OC alone. If I don't do that, the complicated things like OC loose track, I loose the pattern or the path, what ever you want to call it-I loose it. Maybe tomarrow or the next day.
Mareen and I both had Dr.s appts today. so was a good day to clean up my Man Cave and other stuff that, stuff that doesn't take commited time.
Installed a Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G board into a case, because I have a Pentium D 960 Presler on it's way from the orient. By the way-I don't know if the board works or not-got it in a 3 way trade that cost me a little 0ver $20 out of pocket so I put my dollar down and I'll take my chances!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 18th November, 2008, 11:57 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I'm having trouble overclocking on this Gigabyte board. The problem is not a lack of options... it that they give you too many options. I think that, even though I am setting the values that people say I should, the other options should be at something I don't know. Where most boards have 5 or 6 options to configure for memory, mine has about 15 or 20 once you go manual.

I did shove the vcore up to 1.55 just to see how the heat would go, after admitting defeat. It idles me in the low to mid 30's. That's bios reading though, so it's true idle. Windows "idle" would be a bit higher.

Last edited by Azriel; 18th November, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 20th November, 2008, 08:47 PM

I Did some bumping and brought it up to 2801.6. I hade to raise vcore to 1.31875. I think I can take that down a little. The bios gives me very small increments I can use for vcore but voltage for CPU FSB has to be in chunks. I gave it a short test that did great, but video card is due today. OC is done!

Old 5th December, 2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel View Post
Sorry about the bmps.

PPM, I'm not trying to annoy you, but what obstruction forced you to mount the cooler sideways like that? I don't quite understand. I don't know the dimensions of the hole pattern, is it not a square pattern, or is your cpu socket too close to the back of the board?
No annoyance at all! Some how I got lost and this thread disappeared for me. No excuse!
The orientation of the HSF is mainly because it's about the only way it will go!
I can turn it 180 but that causes another set of problems. Just 90 degrees in either direction is out.
On the back side, opposite the fan is a row of 6 capacitors just before a heatsink, it can't go that way. If I were to try to put it on 180 degrees from the present position, I would be very difficult to install the fan with that row of capacitors in the way.
This way-the only way that makes it an easy fit, the bottom 5 fins are bent downward to direct airflow onto that row of capacitors and the heatsink-though i expect the design was meant to blow air on the memory chips.

I'm glad I got back to this thread. Reminded me I have to find a thermal compound that wll stop the corrosive properties of my set up.

Just how are you getting such low idle temps? $5 you can tell me!

Tags
cooling , temperature