AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2002, 11:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

Suitable replacement for Arctic Alumina for ti4400 ramsinks?

Welp got these today http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/51/342.htm?814 ... They came with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive.. looked up the instructions on how to properly use it on the arctic silver web site.

I found out that it is a permament adhesive. If I sell the card in the future or by any chance have to RMA it.. I don't want these sinks to be permanently stuck to it.. hehe.. Are there any suitable replacements that I can use for the ramsinks?

Thanks.
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:10 AM

You can mix ordinary arctic silver/alumina thermal paste with the epoxy to reduce its strength.

They recomend a 50/50 mix

If you buy some then id get some old heatsinks and stick them together to find the best mix.

Also if you wrap the card in cling film then freeze it for a few days the epoxy will be easyer to dislodge.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:18 AM

So the epoxy will just stick to the heatsink and not to the memory on the card?
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:26 AM

It will stick to both but will be "soft" so you can remove it.

Im not sure if you would be able to tell that heatsinks had been glued on or not.

The only other alternative is "frag tape" like double sided tape but with slightly better thermal propertys.

If you think your definately going to want to remove the heatsinks then the tape is your best bet...but it will performe worse than the adhesive.

Or you can put arctic silver on the chips and a bit of superglue (Jell type is best) at the corners to hold them in place.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2002, 01:35 AM

I guess it'll depend on how much I can tweak my pny ti4400.. was thinking about trying to trade for a visiontek or gainward (+ cash of course.)
Old 16th April, 2002, 09:41 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

easy! AS2 over memory chip, clean off two little dots in corners, put dots of superglue on, and stick heatsinks on! cracks off really easy! the memory chips probably have 2 or 4 round indents, put the glue in these so that it is in as close contact as possible for heat transfer with the sink

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 16th April, 2002, 09:54 PM

Will my Arctic Silver III be easy to clean off.. I got it all over my CPU (not the core part of course) and could not for the life of me get it off with 91% isopropyl alcohol.. it has some tape on it since someone fully unclocked it and I don't want to mess with it if it means chancing screwing up the unclocking.. =/ Someone else recommended some dish soap as well.. would I just use a qtip to dab the soap on and use a qtip with alcohol to clean the soap off?

Also, when using superglue will I need to stick the card in a freezer so that I can crack the heatsink off easier?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Nate-X; 16th April, 2002 at 10:03 PM.
Old 16th April, 2002, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate-X
Will my Arctic Silver III be easy to clean off.. I got it all over my CPU (not the core part of course) and could not for the life of me get it off with 91% isopropyl alcohol.. it has some tape on it since someone fully unclocked it and I don't want to mess with it if it means chancing screwing up the unclocking.. =/ Someone else recommended some dish soap as well.. would I just use a qtip to dab the soap on and use a qtip with alcohol to clean the soap off?

Also, when using superglue will I need to stick the card in a freezer so that I can crack the heatsink off easier?

Thanks again.

Try heat. I've never done it but i've heard a hair dryer could liquify it enough to remove it.
Old 17th April, 2002, 12:12 AM

I think the wife has a dryer somewhere I might just give that a try..
Old 17th April, 2002, 07:48 AM

Here is the official Arctic Silver Solution

Another solution I have used os Goof Off which is sold in paint stores to remove glue residue without damaging paint. If you are going to use soap; try using automotive hand cleaner. It's the best I've used yet. It's called ProLine, you can pick it up a Pep Boys for about $1
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 17th April, 2002, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the link! I had it in my favorites on my system one time but lost them in a crash boh
Old 17th April, 2002, 12:19 PM

Happy to help. The info came from my homeland The Overclockedcafe where I am known simply as Bob.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 17th April, 2002, 12:38 PM

Had a chance to check out the site pretty nice from what I've seen so far Now I guess I have to stop surfing and get to work.. /rude mornings
Old 17th April, 2002, 12:46 PM

I'm just getting ready to go home from a long 12 hour night shift. You take care and see you around here and there,