AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2008, 01:05 PM

Program other than SpeedFan

SpeedFan is to buggy for my tastes. Some Times it will show a fan or temp and some times it would't.
Inthe proccess of looking I found this page. It gives short, concice, info, something I like.
How do I monitor CPU temperature?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
SpeedFan is to buggy for my tastes. Some Times it will show a fan or temp and some times it would't.
Inthe proccess of looking I found this page. It gives short, concice, info, something I like.
How do I monitor CPU temperature?
Yea, Speedfan is a bit buggy that way but out of ALL of the temp software monitors I've tested it's still the best of the bunch.
Whenever it shows readiings that it shouldn't I just uncheck those boxes to remove them & forget about it.
That usually happens when you make changes to the Bios.

That site offers nothing I haven't already seen & checked out & seems a bit old.
Motherboard Monitor is Very Outdated & basically useless anymore.
HW monitor is OK, but it doesn't show me near as much information as Speedfan does.

Hey PPM, you need to go into the Advanced section of Speedfan to set it all up. It also has offsets for reading that aren't exactly accurate too.
Just dig around in there for a while & you'll figure out all the features & setting is does offer.
As I said, out of all the software out there that monitors your system Speedfan is still one of the best.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 9th December, 2008 at 02:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2008, 04:22 PM

I didn't post that site for any program it had to offer, just the info it had was the way I like it-clear, concise, short, and on point-right in one place.
Anyone can get something here.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 9th December, 2008, 04:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

They missed out the use of ACPI to monitor temperatures too - a lot of systems can provide temperature information through their ACPI implementations, which saves having to write code specifically to communicate with the hardware.
Old 11th December, 2008, 07:32 PM

After reinstalling HSF Speed Fan doesn't recogonize a single fan. I have three 4 pin and one 3 pin and zip.
I'm not sure if thiis is accurate or not, but it feels like every time I change some hardware or have to reinstall Speed Fan-it gives a different reading every time. And this is the best?

Gizmo!
With your background, I would think you could become a rich man with a program that works!

Old 11th December, 2008, 09:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Gizmo!
With your background, I would think you could become a rich man with a program that works!
If I had a nickel.......

Actually, the problem you are seeing with inaccurate readings stems, I think, from the inherent inaccuracy of the sensors (or more correctly, the inherently inaccurate implementation of the sensors).

Mobo sensors are based on a 'band-gap' temperature sensor, which is implemented in one of two ways:
  • A silicon NPN transistor has the base and collector tied together in what commonly called a 'diode connected' configuration, with the emitter grounded, and the collector tied to a voltage sensor.
  • An actual diode is used, with the cathode grounded and the anode tied to a voltage sensor

A known reference current is then applied and the voltage drop across the temperature sensor is measured.

It turns out that the voltage drop across the band-gap in such a configuration is VERY predictable relative to temperature, ONCE THE DEVICE IS CALIBRATED. Calibration is the key. Typically, the sensor will be accurate to about +/- 5C (about +/- 9F), and how accurately it reflects the real temperature is a function of the temperature being measured.

However, if the device is calibrated (which involves applying two reference currents that differ by an order of magnitude, and then doing some complex math), you can get the accuracy of the device to about +/- 1/2 degree C (in some cases, even better than that).

The problem is, no mobo I know of is even CAPABLE of performing the calibration, much less actually doing it.

I've not personally verified this, but I've gathered that at least SOME BIOSes attempt to apply a SWAG offset to calibrate the diode based on behavioral data gathered from a production run. They will also attempt to SWAG the calibration based on the current temperature at the time POST runs, which means that the calibration can change between reboots, even if the temperature doesn't.

I've also heard (though I've not verified) that both Intel and AMD are actually calibrating their internal temp sensors on their latest CPUs, and that the calibration data are used to provide a more accurate temp reading of the CPU temp sensor.
Old 11th December, 2008, 09:31 PM

It's the fan readings that are giving me fits! the temps are backed up by a couple of different programs. Here is the latest example. I'm in another thread with this pic on Starting to OC this rig
Attached Thumbnails
Program other than SpeedFan-as5_oc_folding.jpg  

Old 12th December, 2008, 03:35 AM

I owe Speed fan an apology. I just went thru my bios and it only showed 1 fan running. when It finished the boot-Speed fan showed 1 fan running. The bios needs some investigation.

Old 24th January, 2009, 03:57 PM

I've started to use the new HWMonitor. It is a lot more concsice, and I've neve needed speed control with F@H running 24/7.
CPUID

Tags
cooling , speedfan