AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2009, 04:20 PM

Airflow and case/Cooler design

First off, I'm new here. I've had a login for a while, but had not spent any time here till now.

I'm putting together my new system and was curious about airflow in the case and CPU cooler designs. There seem to be two main styles of coolers, those with fans than blow outward from the CPU toward the side of the case and those that have the fan blowing from the front of the case to the back. I'm just curious if these different approaches may be more suited to different case designs and where the fans in those case are located. Haven't been able to find any specifics other than general cooling advice with a web search. (I went with a Thelmaltake V1 cooler and Antec Sonata III)

Thanks.
Old 24th January, 2009, 10:53 PM

Well, I suppose nobody has any real insight into this. There's no problem anyway, I was just curious over design philosophy. The new system is running nice and cool, however. Plenty of overhead if I should decide to try some overclocking.
Attached Images

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 25th January, 2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: trying to get image displaying
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2009, 10:55 PM

Ok, how do I post an image in this forum? I've tried HTML and BBCode, and neither works.
Old 24th January, 2009, 11:52 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
Ok, how do I post an image in this forum? I've tried HTML and BBCode, and neither works.
You can just upload it.
Scroll down under the submit button. There is a manage attachments button. This will pop up another window to add files. I'll get too your PM when I have a min.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2009, 11:59 PM

So I need to upload it, rather than linking to an image located elsewhere?
Old 25th January, 2009, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Yeah, we had a problem a while back if I remember right.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 26th January, 2009, 12:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately, some brain-damaged individuals wanted to get stinky about posting linking to an image from their site, when THEY were the ones who posted the link to start with. So, in order to prevent such problems in the future, we just require you to upload the image you want to use here.
Old 26th January, 2009, 12:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Back to your original question, I suppose the choice rather depends on your design philosophy, but there are some things to consider:

A cooler that goes from the front to back of the case is going to generally tend to work with the natural airflow pattern in most cases, where the fan that goes toward the side of the case will tend to disrupt the airflow.

A fan that pulls from the side of the case and blows down onto the cooler is going to tend to pull cooler air from the side case panel (indeed, many cases are designed with this in mind, even to the extent of a special duct for that purpose). In addition, the transistors for the CPU vreg will generally be located in that area, and will benefit from the airflow of the exhaust off the heatsink being blown down onto the board. One of the biggest reasons that CPU overclocks become unstable is because the vreg capacitors dry out, and a big portion of that problem comes from the caps running hot, owing to the fact that the water block the typical OCer fits to the CPU doesn't allow for any airflow across the vreg to cool it (no fan).
Old 6th September, 2009, 11:26 PM

i would say for the best cooling try making the case as small as you can its not easy as you got the graphics card plus PSU and the cd/dvd drives keeping the case wide. the faster you can move the air the better cooling you will get. and the longer the pc will run. my rig has lasted 5 years the psu has failed me but 5 years....

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 7th September, 2009, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Actually I think there is much to be said for a LARGE case.... it allows hot air to rise naturally, air to circulate more easily and with less need to push it rapidly though the case... to each his own... I say that as I have no proof what so ever that my "intuition" is right on this...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 9th September, 2009, 04:27 PM

Arrow

The only advise I have to say about case cooling is make sure all your airflow is going in the same direction, otherwise there will be turbulance which makes for bad cooling.

The other point is make sure you have the same amount of air going in as out.
It does no good to have a bunch of fans blowing in with only one or 2 blowing out.
If anything it's better to have more exhaust fans than fans blowing in.

I use the Zalman CNPS9700 so it blows to my rear exhaust fans, but some that use say the Antec case will have it blowing to the big exhaust fan they have at the top of the case.
Just make sure the CPU heat is being blow towards an exhaust fan...

The pic below is an example of my case fan configuration.
Attached Images

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 11th September, 2009, 10:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Antec Sonata III, good choice. Mine's been sitting in its shipping carton for at least a year. How lazy can I get?! I just don't feel like spending ~$1100 for a spiffy new machine when I seriously don't need the upgrade in performance. Luddite? Yes, to some degree.
Old 14th September, 2009, 04:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Antec Sonata III, good choice. Mine's been sitting in its shipping carton for at least a year. How lazy can I get?! I just don't feel like spending ~$1100 for a spiffy new machine when I seriously don't need the upgrade in performance. Luddite? Yes, to some degree.
At least you'll have that new case ready to go when you do decide it's time to build a new system.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 15th September, 2009, 08:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yeah, it's good to have it at hand, where it goads my something or other. But de-motivational propaganda is dominating the conversation. Always somet...
Old 16th September, 2009, 08:07 PM

As a follow, up, I should mention not to buy the Thermaltake V1 for use on an AMD CPU. The heat pipes interfered with locking down the retention mechanism. Took me 45 minutes of fussing and fiddling to get the lever locked down. I saw mention in Maximum PC magazine that they had the same problem.

System has been running nicely for about 10 months now.
Old 16th September, 2009, 09:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good news is good!

Tags
cooling