AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th April, 2002, 02:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to drow_elf Send a message via AIM to drow_elf

Angry repairing a broken golden orb

yesterday i broke 2 of the fan blades off my poor old golden orb HSF i tried repairing it with epoxy but it cant stand the 5k rpms and broke off after 3 minutes of testing does anyone have an idea of how i can attach some sort of new fan to the heatsink?
here are some specs:
the orginal fan is 50mm in diameter and 25mm tall and is surrounded by heatsink fins (the fins have a "bend" to them so i dont know if a screw could be put into them)
any new solution would need to be 20~25cfm

so far i have come up with 4 ideas but each has its own problems:
A. cut a HSF for another CPU up to fit inside the ring of fins (problem: finding a heatsink with the fan not attached at the corners)
B. attach a fan to the top of the ring of fins (problem: the corners of 60mm fans dont line up with the fins)
C. same as B. but use an 80mm fan and some sort of custom adapter (problem: finding a custom adapater and attaching it)
D. attaching some sort of duct using a 80mm fan (problem: getting enough airflow/having the duct turn 180)

so in closing does anyone have any other ideas or solutions to the above ideas??

Last edited by drow_elf; 18th April, 2002 at 02:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2002, 04:35 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For the most part, golden orbs don't get a lot of respect for their cooling power.

I have 2 I still use, but... Many people have recommended to me to replace them with better HSFs. I have to admit tho, they're quiet and do an acceptable job. I recommend replacing the HSF entirely if possible, rather than attempting to repair it. The fan in there is a custom job, and has kinda odd shape blades. I don't think it's worth the effort IMHO. Good luck.

EDIT: My guess is buying a fan (if you can find it) that could be used + the work to get it attached properly is more trouble than replacing it with an inexpensive new HSF.

Last edited by SteveI; 18th April, 2002 at 04:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2002, 05:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

What type of fan is it? there were two revisions of the golden orb- on my extra one that the clip broke off- i have the fan- and it screws into the BASE of the heatsync- the others screwed into the TOP- ill mail u my extra one if u want- or u can try surlyjoe's method of Nidec Blowers-

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 18th April, 2002, 06:09 AM

dang. I can't find the link, yet. saw where a guy cut the fan shroud from a few 60mm fans so all that was left was fins & motor. them used double sided tape to make it stay inside the hs.
have to make sure it is centered really good. he used fans from Delta, fop36, fop38 and one was a 'black lable' something. what the heck, give it a go.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dabaerman; 18th April, 2002 at 06:11 AM.
Old 18th April, 2002, 03:57 PM

i will admit that a orb doesnt have that much cooling power but it does allow me to o/c my p3 to 1.05ghz (1.8V, 8.5*124) (i think the limiting factor isnt the CPU) and keep it stable until the system temp rises above 100F so if i can fix it cheeply i would like to try but ordering a new fan is obivously option... does anyone have a recommendation on a new HSF?

my gorb has the fan mounted to the base of the HSF (there is a neat little base on the bottom of the fan)

ive tried to look at surlyjoes method but i havent been able to get into surlyjoes pages (is there a mirror of it somewhere?) i guess it got deleted/moved since spode's abode has sort of shut down/gone into hibernation...

double stick tape huh???

thanks alot for helping =) but if you have more ideas keep on posting
Old 19th April, 2002, 12:59 AM

There is a product called "JB Weld". It is a 2 part epoxy but not just any epoxy. You can drill and tap that stuff. I in the past have repaired car parts with it. Give it a try.
Old 19th April, 2002, 06:16 AM
AOA Staff

the nidec trick works pretty good, and is real quiet. gotta have some headroom over the orb though
Old 19th April, 2002, 04:39 PM

do you know where i can buy a nidec blower? so far the only site ive found is www.jameco.com
also- do you just use 3m type tape to attach it to the ring of fins?

i used jb weld (neat stuff huh???) but i think its going bad or somthing because i ended up being all soft so i had do use regular epoxy and i cant seem to find any at our sorry-*** pepboys (i think the hardner has evaporated...)

thanks for the continuing ideas!
Old 19th April, 2002, 05:27 PM
AOA Staff

radio shack sells them rebadged, but they are kinda pricey there.
I just used nail(crazy) glue gel to stick it on with, I have some ADDA 24v ones if you wanna try one?
Old 19th April, 2002, 11:09 PM

Could the "nidec blower" be plugged into a motherboard header ?
Old 20th April, 2002, 01:45 AM

Try here for one. I never plug my fans into the mobo if I can get away from it. It's a general rule subject to your preferences.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!