AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2002, 04:07 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Is 80c/176f a good temp level for a temperature warning light for HDD?

UW 7200 RPM Seagate Damn hot SCSI drives. I have 7 in an external case as a raid array. I want to add warning lights to the front of the case to let me know if the drive cooler on the bottom of the drives has had a fan failure. Good temp for a thermal switch, or should I go higher?

(The switch only lights the LED. It does not shut down the drive.)
Old 19th April, 2002, 06:14 AM
AOA Staff

that seems awful hot to me, I try and keep the scsi arrays below 130f if at all possible, they are to expensive to take chances with
Old 22nd April, 2002, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to clboertien

Maybe some high powerd fans blowing over the drives. Or some kinda drive cooling. You definetly need to get those temps down. You can almost cook off those things. Your risking data corruption. Below 60c at least, they'd shouldn't be so hot that they burn you. And to think that they are only 7200RPM. You definetly got some cooling to do.
Old 22nd April, 2002, 03:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Is 80c/176f a good temp level for a temperature warning light for HDD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
UW 7200 RPM Seagate Damn hot SCSI drives. I have 7 in an external case as a raid array. I want to add warning lights to the front of the case to let me know if the drive cooler on the bottom of the drives has had a fan failure. Good temp for a thermal switch, or should I go higher?

(The switch only lights the LED. It does not shut down the drive.)
I work on the basis that over 50C is at serious risk of doing damage. 80C and you might find you've already toasted electronics.

Just as a example, a Seagate SCSI drive is spec'd for continous operation from 5C to 55C. The maximum case temperature is allowed to go to 60C for SHORT periods of time only. Above that, and Seagate say that "Continous operation at the elevated tempearture will reduced produce reliablity."

55C seems to be pretty universal in terms of maximum temperatures.

If the drives are going to run unattended, then just an LED is no good.

AidanII