AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd November, 2010, 10:37 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Yuck dirty computers
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th November, 2010, 09:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

All of the grounding straps I've made were of shiny steel, but each to his own.
Old 24th November, 2010, 09:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I meant, "to each his own." English, it's qwazy mon.
Old 7th January, 2011, 09:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

My new box is overdue for a cleaning. Please encourage me, if you've got the time.
Old 25th January, 2011, 10:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It'd be great to hear from dsio, I'm concerned about him. Fingers remain crossed!
Old 26th January, 2011, 02:17 PM
Benchmarker

He's a tough dog, I am more concerned about his cat tbh!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2011, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've spoken with him a few times on IM. He and his family are ok, from what I gather. He's been busy, as you might imagine.
Old 26th January, 2011, 11:00 PM
Steve Jobs

These were taken at the bottom of my street on the 12th of January.

It was a very big smelly mess, and was worse than any of the media footage makes it out to be, but we're alright, although this is the bottom of our street, our house is about 50m / 150 feet higher than the water shown here. We were cut off for half a week, but had stocked up on enough supplies to be fine.

Mum's school went under, she lost all her teaching materials sadly.
Attached Thumbnails
Mum Says Cleaning Is Good-img_1239.jpg   Mum Says Cleaning Is Good-img_1218.jpg   Mum Says Cleaning Is Good-img_1195.jpg   Mum Says Cleaning Is Good-img_1192.jpg  
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 26th January, 2011, 11:42 PM
Benchmarker

WOW is that a girl swimming there? I had a feeling he's OK. WB maaaait!

Old 27th January, 2011, 12:13 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
WOW is that a girl swimming there? I had a feeling he's OK. WB maaaait!
Its a guy, one of the swim instructors at that swim school. They were going under and trying to save the beer out of the downstairs fridge.

The water was really bad, this was two days after the sewage treatment plant failed and spilled raw effluent into the river, so he's actually swimming in a mixture of water, dirt, mud, and human waste. The smell was horrendous.

The other weird thing was there were millions of earthworms everywhere. After the water receeded, every square inch of ground had two earthworms on it. I believe its because of how hard the upper parts of QLD were hit, the topsoil from farmlands was literally stripped off by the water, worms included and washed away downstream to us.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 27th January, 2011, 06:32 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
he's actually swimming in a mixture of water, dirt, mud, and human waste. The smell was horrendous.
Oh, the things we'll do to save the beer

All kidding aside, it's good to hear that your house was OK. Being on the high ground has its advantages. Part of my neighborhood was flooded last month as well, although not nearly to the degree yours was, and I was happy that my house is on the high ground as well.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 27th January, 2011, 06:38 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
Oh, the things we'll do to save the beer

All kidding aside, it's good to hear that your house was OK. Being on the high ground has its advantages. Part of my neighborhood was flooded last month as well, although not nearly to the degree yours was, and I was happy that my house is on the high ground as well.
TBH I think the last time this much water came down at once there were two of each animal floating in an ark.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 27th January, 2011, 10:52 AM
Benchmarker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
TBH I think the last time this much water came down at once there were two of each animal floating in an ark.
I once believed that to be true! All kidding aside is good that you guys have maintained the apetite for BEER. What would the world be without it?

Last edited by chrisbard; 27th January, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 27th January, 2011, 10:55 AM
Benchmarker

Now that we know you are safe may I ask if the first picture is like a comercial or something?

Old 27th January, 2011, 11:31 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Now that we know you are safe may I ask if the first picture is like a comercial or something?
What I did was I took the first in a series of that photo with my iPhone perched on the corner of a hand rail at the Lexus dealership at 8AM on 12th of January, and then each hour, I came back to the same location and took another photo as the flood water came in. Only I forgot after it peaked at about 3PM with the king tide, so the idea was I'd have a really cool time-lapse of the water encroaching and swallowing up the dealership, then receding and leaving the mud behind, but by 3PM I was so sunburned that my skin was peeling off so I took a bath instead.

That shipping container you can see was sitting flat initially, but got picked up by the water and dumped on top of three new Lexus Hybrid sedans, that's why its at an angle, its got about $350k in Japanese engineering propping it up.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 27th January, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 27th January, 2011, 11:36 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
He's a tough dog, I am more concerned about his cat tbh!
I forgot to mention, my cat died by the way two years ago. Had brittle bones and couldn't walk or make it to the litter box so my sister gave it the chair.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 27th January, 2011, 11:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm so glad that you're still with us, brudda, that's a hideous mess! Ugh, swimming in sewage is downright dangerous, I hope the beer was worth it. Irony gets no better than a drowned swimming school. Sorry that the water feels it needs revenge!
Old 3rd February, 2011, 04:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Great to hear from you dsio!

Even it this extremity, recorded in just a few pics... it's obvious you live in one of the world's beautiful places... I hope all will be restored to you and your neighbors in the shortest possible time.

The worms come up because they are drowning and need air... though you'd like to know your not suffering alone! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 3rd February, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 3rd February, 2011, 05:05 PM
Steve Jobs

We've had the cyclone, just expecting the water to turn red and the locusts now...
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th May, 2011, 07:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Folks along the lower Mississippi might be catching up with how it was in Brisbane. Of course, they expect the river to flood, at least in the back of their minds. Bad scene, Mudda Natchuh seems annoyed.

Tags
cleaning , dust , kandalf , lcs , overclocking , thermaltake , vacuum , watercooled , watercooling