AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2002, 07:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Water Cooling Systems

I am planning on building a water cooler instead of adding more fans to my case, as I was planning on doing. I am thinking of using a small fridge as the cooler. By using a fridge, I would solve two problems - The walk to the kitchen for Coke (Official Drink of Late Night Gamers) and I would be able to eliminate the noise that a 120mm fan on a radiator would cause.

So in building this, I would use a MAZE3 water block on the CPU, a mini-fridge (Don't know what one yet, probably what ever they have cheap at Costco ), some sort of pump (Ideas?) and some 3/8" tubing.

I know where to pick up a mini-fridge and a MAZE3 block and any other blocks I will need (Chipset/GeForce4/Harddrives). What I need to know is that will a fridge cool the water in the bong cool enough, and where to get a bong and pump. I probably could get a pump at a gardening store (God knows we have enough of them in Oregon!) but what about the bong? Are there pre-made ones that are totally water tight? What do people use for them (Other then piping)?

Thank you all!
Old 20th April, 2002, 11:03 AM
BongWater

First, you don't need a fridge to cool the water...thats what the bong does. The fridge, however, is good for cerveza chilling!
Quote:
The heated water from the CPU is then pumped to the top of the tower, and then through the shower head, diffusing the stream into small droplets. The heat is then radiated out of these droplets into the surrounding air. Often, a hole is cut into the tube in which a fan is placed, allowing more air to pass through the tower, increasing the efficiency of the heat transfer.
Here's one article on bongs I remember seeing but there are plenty more out there. Do a Google search under "bong cooling" or something like that.

Don't know of any "pre-made" bongs so ur on your own.

BongWater
Old 20th April, 2002, 12:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Okay. You see, the fridge is to rid myself of all the noise of the fans (2x120mm) on radiators. And I don't have enough room to have one of those 1.25m bongs. Would a fridge keep the water cool enough? If so, it's a god, and I'm going shopping tomorrow!

I can make my own water tight bong for in the fridge. I have thought it over.

Thankx
Old 20th April, 2002, 12:16 PM
BongWater

Your talking of circulating your coolant through the fridge instead of a rad....OK well I guess it could work. But how much coolant could you hold in one of them baby fridges...especially if you still want to use it for its real purpose? Because I would think the coolant would need to stay in the fridge for awhile in order to cool.

BongWater
Old 20th April, 2002, 12:38 PM

I think I could store a gallon or so in the fridge. Maybe two gallons. I think the bong that I would make to go in to the fridge would be custom, and would go back and forth. Let me whip up an idea in PhotoShop.

I know this image is bad, but it should get the point across.

By moving the water through the cooler slower, and by separating the coils, if you will, it will allow the water to cool more then it would by just going in to a regular container.

How much water does your system use per day?
Attached Thumbnails
Water Cooling Systems-sigma_bong1.gif  
Old 20th April, 2002, 04:18 PM
BongWater

Not curently using a bong but when I did, seems it was using over a gallon a day in summer. I don't know exactly as I just filled the sucker every morning as habit from a gallon jug.

BongWater
Old 20th April, 2002, 07:53 PM

Okay.

On another note, do you have any ideas on where to pick up a heat plate or something like that that websites use to review heatsync’s?
Old 20th April, 2002, 08:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Nearly everyone of the heatsunc test blocks are custom made- 2cooltek show how he made his- And for the watercooling- a closed loop system would work better for you-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2002, 08:07 PM

Dosent this defeat the purpouse of a PORTABLE LAN rig? I would never drag a bong, mini fridge, computer, coolant, monitor. and so on- WAY to much junk- a closed loop- contined system would fix this-
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2002, 06:59 AM
BongWater

No...you mount the system in a metal suitcase ATTACHED to the top of the baby fridge! Install some castors on the fridge, a couple of strong handles and ur rolling through airports and hotel lobbies in no time with ur PC AND ICE COLD FROSTIES!!!

This could work!:-D :-D :-D

BongWater
Old 21st April, 2002, 07:33 AM

You could just build the system INSIDE the fridge- and get rid of the case totaly!
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 21st April, 2002, 07:48 AM
BongWater

Yeah but it'd be too tough to work on...with the suitcase you can remove it when tweaking is required...or your friends look like they're ready to spill a frosty!

And even better than the castors, place it on one of those stewardess wheeler fold-up jobbies...damn I knew I shudda stole that fridge from my dorm room all those many moons ago.
Old 21st April, 2002, 08:23 AM
BongWater

xx
Old 21st April, 2002, 09:00 AM

Heh. I have talked the matter of building a water cooler, and he gave me the go ahead. So I am going to build it, and soon.

I have a few questions about the flow of water though. Should it be cooled running back to the holding tank, or when it is being sent back to the water blocks? The reason I ask this is because the mini-fridge that I plan on using will have a small freezer in it, so I can either have the water run into the radiator in there first or last.

I am planning on using copper for everything in side the fridge, other then maybe the holding tank, and that too might be made out of copper if I can get it cheap enough.

The new idea is to have radiator coils in the freezer that will take up most, if not all, of the space in it. Then the water will go to a holding tank, possibility made out of copper because it would cool better. The holding tank will be about one gallon, maybe as large as two gallons; it just depends on how big you guys think it should be, and how big I can get a copper tank. The pump will be in the holding tank, or just outside of it. After the holding tank, the water will be pumped in to some more coils, and then in to the system.

Remember, this idea posted above can work both ways – from freezer to holding to system, or from holding to freezer to system.

And this system will not be portable. The PC will be stationary while in water cooling mode. When there is a LAN party, or I go to some ones house or some one comes over, the water block will be taken off, the system will be de-OC’d, and I will put the Volcano 7 back on. Simple.
Old 22nd April, 2002, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

changing the cooler all time will soon get to be a pain in the neck, think long and hard about that.
Old 23rd April, 2002, 02:10 AM

Sorry if im bursting your bubble but i can see quite a few problems with this.

Firstly your probably going to burn out your fridge motor.
They just arnt designed to be under load all the time, if you leave the door of your freezer open in the summer the motor dies pretty quickly.

Secondly condensation.
You should be running folding@home (if not why not) but you will still be moving cold water through your block, if this is below the dew point (approx 15*c in UK) then you will have to insulate against condensation. This increases complexity about ten fold, and it will take hours not minutes to get ready for the lan party.

Im pretty sure that the fridge will die under the stress.
You could run the fridge 24/7 and get the coolant very cold.. that would take some load off the fridge when your using your PC, but then you will have monster condensation problems.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 23rd April, 2002, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Sorry if im bursting your bubble but i can see quite a few problems with this.

Firstly your probably going to burn out your fridge motor.
They just arnt designed to be under load all the time, if you leave the door of your freezer open in the summer the motor dies pretty quickly.

Secondly condensation.
You should be running folding@home (if not why not) but you will still be moving cold water through your block, if this is below the dew point (approx 15*c in UK) then you will have to insulate against condensation. This increases complexity about ten fold, and it will take hours not minutes to get ready for the lan party.

Im pretty sure that the fridge will die under the stress.
You could run the fridge 24/7 and get the coolant very cold.. that would take some load off the fridge when your using your PC, but then you will have monster condensation problems.
About the LAN part - I don't think it would take that long to unscrew the water block and unplug the water pipes from the back of the computer.

And about condensation... Would sealing the mobo and chips solve it?
Old 23rd April, 2002, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Holst is correct. I looked into cooling via a fridge last year, and found out that it couldn't hadle the heat..not even close. there designed for maintaining cool temps, not constantly cooling a constant heat source...
Old 23rd April, 2002, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X

About the LAN part - I don't think it would take that long to unscrew the water block and unplug the water pipes from the back of the computer.

And about condensation... Would sealing the mobo and chips solve it?
Sealing the piping waterblock and motherboard socket area would prevent the condensation.
Its easy to say but its very hard to get everything insulated whyle keeping a good core contact.

If your having to insulate you wont be able to just take the block out of your PC, as you will have to re-doo all your insulation once you put it back again. Thats allot of trouble to go too.

Have a look at this
http://www.tekforums.co.uk/posts.php?threadId=2009

Thats insulation for TEC use, but you would have to go through a similar procedure.

As for pumps eheim are a favorite.

Heres a pic of my Pump, huger resevoire and homemade (cheap) radiator
Attached Thumbnails
Water Cooling Systems-water1.jpg  

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 23rd April, 2002, 08:57 PM

Would a freezer be better suited to coooler the water off then a fridge?

Can I find Eheim's at a gardning store or something like that?