AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2010, 04:07 AM

Question Newbie questions about CPU cooler

I've assembled quite a few computers from scratch but I've never done any overclocking, so to get started on that now I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. When I saw the picture online it didn't seem such a huge beast, but now that I got it I don't even know if it's going to fit in the case. I tried it with my Intel motherboard and it does, but barely, and this is for a Gigabyte AMD motherboard that I still haven't received.

My first question is about the weight of this giant. It's not terribly heavy but it seems like it might cause some damage to the motherboard in the long run, even with those big metal brackets it has, when you keep in mind that the motherboard is not going to be horizontal, and this thing is going to have some gravity acting to push really hard on one area of the motherboard close to the CPU. This, added to the fact that the AMD CPU warranty is voided if you don't install the fan that came with it, makes me doubt about installing it or not.

That said, my main reason for overclocking is that I do a lot of video editing and encoding to h.264, so I really need the extra cycles, it's not just geeky satisfaction to have the super speed, but more like a lot of time saved. Of course, I don't wanna save time if the motherboard is going to crack in a few months and I have to spend another $180.

I'm sure that many of you have these giant vertical CPU coolers in your computers, so what's your opinion on these? Are they safe to use? Do they force the motherboard at all with the extra weight?

Also, and this is a really newbie question that many of you might laugh at, but which way is the fan supposed to be pointing at? This cooler supports two fans, but comes with one. The way I have the fans in my case currently set is bringing air in from the front and pushing air out through the rear fan. So should I mount the Cooler Master with its fan closer to rear fan, or closer to the RAM modules? And, what happens if the fan in the cooler is faster than the rear fan? Wouldn't that cause some hot air to be retained between the cooler fan and the rear fan, causing trouble for the PSU?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 2nd June, 2010, 04:20 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaz View Post
I've assembled quite a few computers from scratch but I've never done any overclocking, so to get started on that now I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. When I saw the picture online it didn't seem such a huge beast, but now that I got it I don't even know if it's going to fit in the case. I tried it with my Intel motherboard and it does, but barely, and this is for a Gigabyte AMD motherboard that I still haven't received.

My first question is about the weight of this giant. It's not terribly heavy but it seems like it might cause some damage to the motherboard in the long run, even with those big metal brackets it has, when you keep in mind that the motherboard is not going to be horizontal, and this thing is going to have some gravity acting to push really hard on one area of the motherboard close to the CPU. This, added to the fact that the AMD CPU warranty is voided if you don't install the fan that came with it, makes me doubt about installing it or not.

That said, my main reason for overclocking is that I do a lot of video editing and encoding to h.264, so I really need the extra cycles, it's not just geeky satisfaction to have the super speed, but more like a lot of time saved. Of course, I don't wanna save time if the motherboard is going to crack in a few months and I have to spend another $180.

I'm sure that many of you have these giant vertical CPU coolers in your computers, so what's your opinion on these? Are they safe to use? Do they force the motherboard at all with the extra weight?

Also, and this is a really newbie question that many of you might laugh at, but which way is the fan supposed to be pointing at? This cooler supports two fans, but comes with one. The way I have the fans in my case currently set is bringing air in from the front and pushing air out through the rear fan. So should I mount the Cooler Master with its fan closer to rear fan, or closer to the RAM modules? And, what happens if the fan in the cooler is faster than the rear fan? Wouldn't that cause some hot air to be retained between the cooler fan and the rear fan, causing trouble for the PSU?

Thanks for any replies.
As the old saying goes... "There are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes!"
We all started from not knowing anything to begin with about this stuff so don't worry about
stupid questions...we won't make fun until later after you know what you are doing & have been around for awhile.

Anyways sebaz, weight isn't a problem really but jarring it!
My CPU cooler weighs much more than that one does & I don't have any issues at all with the mobo.
Btw, my Zalman CNPS 9700 cooler clears the side of my case by 1/8".

Just when you move the computer case make sure you do this gently with no shock to it which I'm sure you do anyways, but no it's not a problem at all so don't worry about it.

The direction of the CPU fan should be to where it's blowing through the heatsink facing towards the back case exhaust fan. (Picture below of mine)
Now if the case has a big exhaust fan on top (like a Antec 900 or Coolermaster does) you can have it face that way too.

Btw, you are going to have fun OCing your system & seeing the performance improvements!
See you if the OCing sections!
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie questions about CPU cooler-my-abs-stealth-all-aluminum-case   Newbie questions about CPU cooler-zalman-cooler-another-angle.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 2nd June, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2010, 07:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

But if you really want to cool... Water cooling is safe and up to 5 times more effective! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th June, 2010, 08:21 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

True, you can't beat water cooling if you're going to max that processor as much as possible. Plus lean on your Vidcard real hard. Can't forget righteous chipset cooling, as well.
Old 12th June, 2010, 07:17 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Then again, some folks are reluctant to introduce liquid into their cases. If you're hardcore and must have the best possible overclocked performance, H2O is the only way to go!
Old 15th June, 2010, 06:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Cloasters, how many reports have you read here or elsewhere of people being damaged in anyway by using water cooling?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 18th June, 2010, 06:45 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
How many reports have you read here or elsewhere of people being damaged in anyway by using water cooling?
As a matter of a fact I have a friend that had a completely water cooled system.
It was working fantastic until one of the waterblocks (chipset) in the loop decided to leak & it fried pretty much everything...
What caused it was a defective block...

I was thinking really hard about going H2O myself until that point...
I still might later on as I've been known to change my mind before & the technology is much better as well now!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 18th June, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 18th June, 2010, 06:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Eight years without a leak... and I'm all thumbs! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th June, 2010, 09:12 PM
Metal Wizard

10 years and no leaks... Just run at peak performance day in and day out!! Whether it was a P-3 a Northwood A,B,C, Prescott 540J Socket 775,
Allendale, Conroe, Wolfdale, kentsfield.... Well you get the point....

No issues....