AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st May, 2002, 07:34 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Volcano 7

I've been thinking about modding this thing.
If you see the thing on the side of the fan??!?!??!?
Well it's a thermistor, I can take it out and add a rehostate there.
And I DON"T NEED a high power/wattage one either. No REAL amount of current is going threw it. It's just a voltage reading.

What do you think?
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Volcano 7-im000811.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st May, 2002, 08:39 AM

You need to take a better picture
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th May, 2002, 01:36 PM

You are on the right track.

I haven't seen one of these in real life, but have looked at the specs of the volcano7 and volcano 7 plus HSF units.

That green thing in your picture is likely to be a NTC thermistor Negative temperature coefficient).

Look for a number stamped on it. If you can't see any numbers that you can remove it and measure the resistance across it with a multimeter at 25 C.

At a guess it is likely to be a 10k NTC thermistor (looking at other thermistor controlled fan circuits). replace it with a 10 to 15k pot and you should be able to control the fan speed. There will be negligible current running thru it.

I would be interested to know what other parts there are in the Volcano circuit. There is likely to be a voltage regulator or a transistor there somewhere under the fan.
Old 5th May, 2002, 05:31 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd say probably a voltage regulator. (I think there pretty cheap) and it would be an easy wiring job.

And yeah a 10k pot should do. If I do it I'll let ya all know how it goes.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th May, 2002, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Sigma (Who is now grounded -LOL) Did this to his fan- worked pretty well- In the end - he sold the fan- and the person wanted it normal- so i undid his mod-
SPyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 5th May, 2002, 10:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
Sigma (Who is now grounded -LOL) Did this to his fan- worked pretty well- In the end - he sold the fan- and the person wanted it normal- so i undid his mod-
SPyder
Grounded.. DAMN GRADES. Now, about the fan - You can remove the temp thingy and solder those two wires together and it will run at 5000 RPMs! To add a rheostat, just clip the temp thingy and solider it in between. It will work great.

BTW - If you want a quite computer, mod the fans in your PSU and make a on/off switch for them. I can run at nearly half the loudness because of that