AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2002, 07:48 AM
Member/Contributer

Duel watercooling ???

I posted this question in another post but it didn't get any replies so I decided to pose it in it's own thread.

I have a water-cooling set up for my XP1700+ now. It's running on a 70 gph pump and does a fine job of keeping the XP cool. I am getting a D Den III block delivered this week and I'm going to want to put it into service as soon as it gets here. So here's the question. Should I get a little higher gph pump and run both from my 5gal. bucket reservoir or should I set up a whole new bucker and buy another heater core for the new set-up. I am probably going to end up building a bong here in the near future so the heater cores will be done away with then. Do you think I can get away with cooling the XP & an Athlon 1.4 @ 1.6 from reservoir and one pump.
----------------------------------------------

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2002, 09:08 AM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Duckman

Depends what pump and readiator you have. Heatercores can handle huge ammounts of heat. My FordFiesta handles 3-400W with ease. keeps the water at 30-35C with an ambient temp at 22C.

http://develop.dwpg.com/swiftech/heatercore.jpg
(the heatercore next to the innovatec inline rad.)

CEO, DWPG.Com
Visit us at: DWPG.Com
e-mail: sverre@dwpg.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th May, 2002, 12:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

It seems that you could run One bucket- but two pumps probably be better- if you y'ed the flow of the pump out put- half the flow to each block :-(
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 8th May, 2002, 06:25 AM
AOA Staff

one pump is OK, but 70gph prolly aint enough. just make sure you have an auto shiutdown set up incase of pump loss.. losing 2 setups to a bad pump would suck twice as bad
Old 8th May, 2002, 09:34 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

You'll also need some sort of flow-control on each loop of the cooling circuit, if you're planning to do a parallel cooling circuit. The tendency will be otherwise for whichever block that has least resistance to flow to accept most of the water, leaving the other one warm and dry. A pair of gate valves from a plumbers' merchant don't cost all that much.

The alternative is just to use a huge pump and run water through both blocks as fast as they'll take it :nervous:
Old 8th May, 2002, 10:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the replies. You have confirmed several if my worries and other thoughts.

I'm going to be moving the boxes around anyway soon and I need to clean the current system so I think what I'm going to do is break down and go by Lowes and get a Little giant (not my first pick, but it will do) and find myself another chevette heater core. I can always sell the stuff to a friend later on when I get my bong built. So I've decided on 2 pumps & rads from 1 -5gal bucket. I think 5 gal should be able to dissipate enough heat from what Duck man says.

Now, as for the bong. I was having serious thoughts of making a ping pong ball bong. Using the 70 gph pump to circulate the water up and through the bong and the "little giant" ( not bought yet, so ***GPH) to circulate to the 2 blocks. Lift has to be about 2.5' from floor to back of case. Splitting the line at the back of the side-by-side cases and using equal length tubes after the split. The only difference will be the back pressures between the blocks them selves. One is a D. Den III and the other is a generic 3 hole through design ( I_I ) what do you suppose the difference in pressure is there? I guess I'll have to do some checking before I assemble this and buy a ball **** if there is an appreciable difference.

Just thinking out loud there. Any comments on the ramblings of a mad man?

Thanks again for the help so far !
----------------------------------------------

Old 8th May, 2002, 11:13 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

your gonna have problems running the pumps like that i think... am i right in thinking you will be set up like this?

Reservoir, pump, blocks, holding tank, pump, bong, reservoir

if so, there will be problems with the smaller pump lifting the water to the top of the bong having a lower pumping rate than the other, a better idea is one BIG pump, i've made a bong myself, and my £40 pond pump just couldnt hack it. was about 1 litre a min lifting to the top of it... totally gutless! it was rated at 750 LPH!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th May, 2002, 03:09 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
totally gutless! it was rated at 750 LPH!
Was that before or after you primed it? You remember how much better it performed after you removed the airlocks from it?
Old 9th May, 2002, 03:29 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

when i 1st got it, and it was free of airlocks and everything i measured flow rate

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th May, 2002, 05:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Simple math:

Double the load on the radiator, double the delta the water temerature is over ambient.

The delta that the CPU core has over the water tempurature would remain the same so long as the CPU speed and voltage remain the same, and so long as the coolant velocity through the waterblock remains the same.

A second pump, or a single larger pump is advisable. I really like the Danner magdrive pumps(I use the 250GPH models), they have NTP threaded fittings for inline use, and they produce a good bit of pressure to overcome flow obstructions. I hear the Danner 500GPH pumps work well for bongs up to 62 inches tall, but I've not tried that myself.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 9th May, 2002 at 05:09 PM.